Underestimating Your Opponent 101

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Let this game be the perfect case study for what it looks like when your team underestimates your opponent.

They will never admit it, but I will go to my grave knowing without any doubt whatsoever, that is precisely what occurred today. They thought just showing up would be enough against Colt McCoy and the 4-7 Giants at home.

Whoops. 8-4, not all is lost, but this may be the worst game in years. Disgusted.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Our stubborn refusal to adapt to what an opposing defense gives our offense rears its ugly head for the 173rd time. It boggles the mind.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ezzhwxpt said:
Our stubborn refusal to adapt to what an opposing defense gives our offense rears its ugly head for the 173rd time. It boggles the mind.

It truly does. I thought for sure halftime adjustments would be the fix. Nope. Just a letdown from coaching to players. Next week's win against the Jets (and yes they will beat the Jets after getting embarrassed against the Giants) will probably be the most hollow 9-4 record I've ever witnessed. This team sh*t the bed on so many levels today.

ducks41468

Reaction score
They literally do this every game and it will never get better. They have basically permanently established themselves as a 10-6 team that plays like headless chickens for at least half the season and loses in the first round of the playoffs.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
...and it's not just the absolutely embarrassing offense. Defense allowed 150+ rushing yards. Offensive line was dreadful. There's really not one spot on the team (coaching included) that is safe from shame on this one

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete's press conference, not enough big and explosive plays, It kind of speaks to the fact he is falling in love with splash plays.

He needs to roll back a bit, coaches start falling in love with stuff sometimes and get tunnel vison on things. Deep ball success is great but they forget the set up aspect, Run game and underneath passes to guys on outs and in the flat or outlet passes. TE's should eat up coverage like this all over and we only go there in desperation.

Carson 5 yards a carry yet only gets 12 touches from what press conference said, trying to work him back into rotation with Hyde yet they they didn't use Hyde a lot either.

The deep ball is great but Russ seems to have forgotten about Lockett as well as far as looking for him.

Teams that can step back and look at themselves and self criticize and adjust move forward, we have a hard time with that not only on offense but defense as well.

potatohead33

Reaction score
Carson had two downhill runs of 10+ in the first few plays, then he gets 12 carries the whole game. What?

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
chris98251":xwqg5px6 said:
Pete's press conference, not enough big and explosive plays, It kind of speaks to the fact he is falling in love with splash plays.

He needs to roll back a bit, coaches start falling in love with stuff sometimes and get tunnel vison on things. Deep ball success is great but they forget the set up aspect, Run game and underneath passes to guys on outs and in the flat or outlet passes. TE's should eat up coverage like this all over and we only go there in desperation.

Carson 5 yards a carry yet only gets 12 touches from what press conference said, trying to work him back into rotation with Hyde yet they they didn't use Hyde a lot either.

The deep ball is great but Russ seems to have forgotten about Lockett as well as far as looking for him.

Teams that can step back and look at themselves and self criticize and adjust move forward, we have a hard time with that not only on offense but defense as well.
I'm not convinced the O is all that good in the run game or pass game. I think the early success throwing had a lot to do with opposing DCs respecting our run first reputation and it bit them in the ass. As soon as teams adjusted, it's been a shit show ever since.

Speaking to your point about falling in love with the deep ball/splash plays, It's always been their achilles heel. Take the last drive today. Giants dropping 7-8 guys and we not once, just immediately dump the ball to the back in the flat to keep the chains moving and get out of bounds. They're literally giving us that all the way down the field until you get inside the 20. When we do, dump to the back in the flat, it's usually way late when Russell is about to get sacked and it nets little gain. Just do it over and over again until they start sucking up.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Aros":314302kp said:
Let this game be the perfect case study for what it looks like when your team underestimates your opponent.

They will never admit it, but I will go to my grave knowing without any doubt whatsoever, that is precisely what occurred today. They thought just showing up would be enough against Colt McCoy and the 4-7 Giants at home.

Whoops. 8-4, not all is lost, but this may be the worst game in years. Disgusted.

Agreed. They were overconfident that they could just walk on the field and the Giants would roll over. I think they got the G-men confused with the Jets.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
201. 101 was v Bills

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":qi1lzekw said:
chris98251":qi1lzekw said:

I'm not convinced the O is all that good in the run game or pass game. I think the early success throwing had a lot to do with opposing DCs respecting our run first reputation and it bit them in the ass. As soon as teams adjusted, it's been a $h!t show ever since.

Speaking to your point about falling in love with the deep ball/splash plays, It's always been their achilles heel. Take the last drive today. Giants dropping 7-8 guys and we not once, just immediately dump the ball to the back in the flat to keep the chains moving and get out of bounds. They're literally giving us that all the way down the field until you get inside the 20. When we do, dump to the back in the flat, it's usually way late when Russell is about to get sacked and it nets little gain. Just do it over and over again until they start sucking up.

They did some of the small plays early in the game and then left it. I wonder if it was by design. Wierd.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3ffzvzff said:
chris98251":3ffzvzff said:

I'm not convinced the O is all that good in the run game or pass game. I think the early success throwing had a lot to do with opposing DCs respecting our run first reputation and it bit them in the ass. As soon as teams adjusted, it's been a shit show ever since.

Great takes..I agree with dumping off in second part :2thumbs:

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I disagree. Our great QB played terrible. One of the worst games he has ever played. Pete did everything in his presser to not say “our QB played awful.” This game was totally on Russell. No other way to look at this. He played like a Colt Mccoy.

JGreen79

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1n79y22h said:
...and it's not just the absolutely embarrassing offense. Defense allowed 150+ rushing yards. Offensive line was dreadful. There's really not one spot on the team (coaching included) that is safe from shame on this one

I don't know, Special Teams has been mostly amazing all year, this game included.

TOPHawk

Reaction score
I always start to worry whenever I see Wilson try to 'spin' out of pressure. It normally ends up poorly and, to me, indicates he is not confident.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Aros":2wr4pish said:
RolandDeschain":2wr4pish said:

It truly does. I thought for sure halftime adjustments would be the fix. Nope. Just a letdown from coaching to players. Next week's win against the Jets (and yes they will beat the Jets after getting embarrassed against the Giants) will probably be the most hollow 9-4 record I've ever witnessed. This team sh*t the bed on so many levels today.
This ^

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Aros":bveegow7 said:

Maybe the most accurate post on the board this year.
Seemed to me our guys played as though they were just waiting for the Giants to lose it, instead of trying to beat them. Russ played tentative start to finish, as has been the case a number of times this season. He no longer runs with 'want to'.
Bottom line is the Giants outplayed us early and gained confidence as the game progressed. They beat us by wanting it more and each guy winning his matchup.

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":3hkcchx8 said:

I'm unsure why people think McCoy is a bad QB... he is a good QB that just needs to be in the right system... the way the Giants played him in the game plan was perfect. McCoy was drafted by Holmgren... well Tom Heckert was the GM but he was Holmgrens hand picked QB... he just needs to be in the right system Cleveland wasn't it...Holmgren left him high and dry...

The Giants are a well coached team...they are NOT a bad football team I think they proved that last night...

Yep everybody took them lightly no question about that...

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete's been underestimating his opponents his entire career..........or more accurately, he doesn't care about his opponents.

He's said many times, "we just worry about us." Meaning he doesn't cater his game to game schemes and playcalling to take advantage of his opponents weaknesses. He thinks he can win with bigger, faster, stronger players and superior and timely execution.

And it's worked. But like yesterday, sometimes it doesn't. Also the reason the Hawks play down to their opponents so often. Unlike other teams who kick the crap out of bad teams by indeed taking advantage of their weaknesses, we do not.

Voila, Colt McCoy throws for 100 yards and gets his first win in a decade.

Latest posts