Underrated play by Geno

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is one that I thought looked sloppy live, but on replay here with the all-22 Griff posted, this is pretty damn good. He knows where to go with the ball immediately with huge pressure straight in his face, he is fundamentally adept enough to get the ball off accurately, and he is savvy enough to pause and negotiate enough space and hesitation from the rusher to allow that throw.

Geno's had a down year, but tape wise, I think he's putting a lot of really good stuff out there in a difficult and dysfunctional situation.

I've had my criticisms of Waldron and still do, and I'd still want him fired... but really, I'd mostly want that because I want an OC who can appreciably elevate the offensive line just through coaching prowess alone, which is why I keep plugging Kromer. Dickerson looked good initially, but how much of that was just the scouts and FO hitting big on Lucas and hitting mildly on Cross, ya know?

I maintain that Geno has the talent, the operative skill, the arm, and the poise to be legit top 10. I don't want to pay him big cap in the teams current situation, but honestly? Not the end of the world if we do, because any prospect we'd be in a position to draft is a prospect that I would really, really want to have as a backup for a year to acclimate to the NFL game.

Geno operating well might've been the sole bright spot from this game, aside from K9 running like a man.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
People are basing their opinions of Waldron on 1) whether the play works and 2) morons like Jason Campbell doing 1) after seeing the play exactly once. Nobody really has any idea on whether he's done well here or not.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
People are basing their opinions of Waldron on 1) whether the play works and 2) morons like Jason Campbell doing 1) after seeing the play exactly once. Nobody really has any idea on whether he's done well here or not.
I'll admit that I am nowhere near smart enough to realistically criticize his play designs on a macro level. On the contrary, most of what I read from the football minds I trust indicate that he's very bright in that regard. Sure, I can get mad about specific stinkers that seem ill-advised, but you can do that with any coach to ever coach football.

My criticisms usually center around the fact that we never approach a balanced enough offense for me to feel confident that we're doing the best we can with the type of talent we have. It also doesn't feel like there's a trademark identity to the offense, which is something I generally associate with solid coaching because it hints at a deep, deliberate sense of assuredness in a personal philosophy.

keasley45

Reaction score
If I were geno, I'd want to play somewhere else. Our running game is warm / cold (mostly cold) at best. The O-line cant block consistently, and the defense gives up too many points and provides too few opportunities for the offense. Shane is... I dont know what Shane is, but i think the jury is still out.

He has to play almost perfect football to keep us in games

Optimus25

Reaction score
I’m basing mine off calling back to back runs to charbonnet in the red zone in the most critical drive of the Rams game netting a FG. Then did the same thing vs the niners.

Last i checked we have a matchup nightmare in locket/JSN, a strong hands reliable threat in bobo, a huge human in Fant , AND DK, so according to my math charbonnet is my option like 8.

Secondly i didn’t understand the game plan vs SF. We repeatedly attacked Ward, who is a pro bowler btw, when they had literally just lost their Pro Bowl safety Hufonga like the week before. Only when we started hitting spaces in the middle did we have a productive drive. Duh.

Which brings me to my next point- i don’t understand why we are so ‘outside oriented’ in the passing game. I know we’re going to be in the upper part of the league based on Tyler being good at comebacks and inside out concepts, and DK can go to work out there, but Dissly and Fant and more than serviceable and JSN and Bobo are tough enough to find seams. I firmly recall a strength of this offense was hitting TE and slot seams about 14 yds deep in stride for big gains and forcing the middle defensive players to tighten up inside, then opening up big plays to the sidelines.

That has completely vanished under Waldron.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yeah, his 1 td per game really has me excited to bring him back next year.

View attachment 62984
I made this thread to engage in discussion of actual football happenings, not sour grape box score statistics recitations.

Feel free to post some all-22 examples about specific ways in which you think he sucks, I guess, but I'm not interested in this snarky eye-roll BS. Plenty of other more generalized threads for you to whine about Geno in, but I'm trying to talk about *actual football details* here.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'd say for me anyway, that's what makes Geno so frustrating. He puts some really, really good things on tape weekly. There are guys you watch week in and week out you can just tell the ceiling is very limited. I think Geno has the ability to be a top 10 guy. So I'm in the draft a guy camp but if the draft plays out and they just can't get a guy then build the other areas to help Geno get to that top 10 mark.

Slick

Reaction score
My theory is that Geno got f'd up bad during the Giants game, tried to grit his way through it, underperformed, and then had to sit for two weeks. Also this O-Line is always got somebody hurt and no continuity. This has kind of thrown off overall rhythm and stuff.

JPatera76

Reaction score
My theory is that Geno got f'd up bad during the Giants game, tried to grit his way through it, underperformed, and then had to sit for two weeks. Also this O-Line is always got somebody hurt and no continuity. This has kind of thrown off overall rhythm and stuff.
1000% felt like this as well.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I will say OP it doesnt help your case in coming across as fair and balanced in this thread that you have a picture of Geno in your thumbnail and footer

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Geno has been the best offensive player on the team this year and last year.

That's what I see when I watch games, that's what I see when I watch clips of all-22, that's what PFF says, and that's what a large chunk of the actual football analysts say. As far as I can tell, the only ones in here and in the media who don't see it are the RW groupies (many of you say you've moved on, but we all know that's not true; you are not fooling anyone) and the talking media heads who should be working for TMZ instead of sports journalism.

When we have struggled offensively (much of the season), it has been issues with untimely penalties, o-line play, an inability to get the run game going, and some early issues with receivers (mostly cleaned up by about week 8). With the exception of one bad game, Geno's play has not been the issue. Fix the o-line (coaching or personnel) so that we can get consistent yards in the run game and the offense is good. This team has many problems, but a good QB ain't one of them.

And yes, I do think Geno is a QB that you win with. I do think Geno is a QB that can lead a team to post-season success.

xray

Reaction score
^
Really ? Smith has been the best offensive player on the team for 2 seasons ? If you're right , then the Hawks suck way more than we suspected . :)

WarHawks

Reaction score
I will say OP it doesnt help your case in coming across as fair and balanced in this thread that you have a picture of Geno in your thumbnail and footer
Bingo. I've wondered if he's on Geno's payroll or something. Especially since the quote from Fade about 8-9 wins has proven to be spot on. I've said it before and I'll say it again. 33 yr old leopards don't change their spots. They are what they are. And what this leopard is, is average, with occasional spurts of above average play. That's just not good enough. I just don't get why people keep settling for that and keep trying to come up with reasons to explain it away or justify it. The new slogan for the Hawks may as well be "Aim Low. You Know You Want To" Sorry, not doing it, and I don't care who I piss off along the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Bingo. I've wondered if he's on Geno's payroll or something. Especially since the quote from Fade about 8-9 wins has proven to be spot on. I've said it before and I'll say it again. 33 yr old leopards don't change their spots. They are what they are. And what this leopard is, is average, with occasional spurts of above average play. That's just not good enough. I just don't get why people keep settling for that and keep trying to come up with reasons to explain it away or justify it. The new slogan for the Hawks may as well be "Aim Low. You Know You Want To" Sorry, not doing it, and I don't care who I piss off along the way.
First off, if I was on Geno's payroll, I wouldn't be wasting my time on a forum rather than social media.

Second off, Fade's quote was making fun of me for predicting an 8-9 win ceiling for the Seahawks of 2022. He was red-assed wrong when he said over 5 wins was impossible, whereas my prediction was correct. So he's in my signature because Geno had a good individual year, went to the Pro Bowl, the Seahawks won exactly as I predicted they would, and he didn't dunk on me for shite that year. Talked big shit, and he lost. In the signature he goes.

Thirdly, again, none of that shit is actual football analysis.

If you're so hot on Geno being terrible, I'm open to actual film or advanced analysis as to why you think so against the grain of the vast majority of actual football analysts who put the time into dissecting individual plays.

Until then, this is nothing more than you stomping your feet and balling your fists because you're angwy about the quawtewback not winning the games aww by himsewf!! Hmph!! 😡 and refusing to engage with thoughtful analysis and honest reasoning that just happens to oppose your narrative.

keasley45

Reaction score
The Geno hate is just that. I understand the frustration at him not being a highlight reel the way the last guy was, but his play and what he does play in and play out is more often than not very very good.

Fact is, I don't think there's a qb in the league that is performing as well as he is with thr lack of run support that he gets (29 th in the league is it?... 22nd in attempts?) , and suspect protection.

Brock, Wyman, KJ all agree that if Geno had even a decent running game , he'd easily be a top 10 qb. He's just not the type of player who's going to absolutely wow you with uber athleticism. And what he's good at often goes unseen. A good example is that Huard mentioned that the team likely avoided a sackfest Sunday by the way Geno navigated the pocket and got the ball out on time, again and again. If he'd been running around and making heroic throws in the process of avoiding those sacks rather than just threading the needle time and time again, folks would likely feel better about him, and less critical of the strip sack, because he was running for his life all day. But he plays the position the way it's supposed to be played and at a high level and it works against him through the lens of thr e casual observer.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
All I care about is the man's ability to win battles. And he's shown To be average at best, sometimes worse. He's not winning us any superbowls anytime soon.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
All I care about is the man's ability to win battles. And he's shown To be average at best, sometimes worse. He's not winning us any superbowls anytime soon.
I think he's shown a decent amount of fight. He's not one of those undeniable titan QBs, but he's also done reasonably well if we're considering the dysfunction around him. There isn't much he's actually regressed on in terms of how he plays. He's had a few really, really nice game winning drives this year where he was poised and on the money when we needed him to be.

As far as the structure of Geno's play goes, I can't find much to criticize during this back half of the year. I'd like to see him under a new coordinator. Not because he's being specifically set up to fail, but because I want to see him play with a better run game to take some of the pressure off of him and the OL. He's taken well under the amount of sacks he should with the line being as unstable as it is lately and succeeded in spite of it. His Dallas game was absolutely phenomenal and that was with an absurd 54% pressure rate. His play to keep Seattle in the game was one of the best QB performances of the year, league wide. It is insanely difficult to keep a game that close when your defense does not force *a single punt*. His game-winning drive against the Titans was excellent, and he was one of the best performers on the field against Pittsburgh.

When I watch Geno this year, I see a quarterback with reasonable poise, good arm talent, good accuracy, and a really large development in his skills negotiating oft-pressured pockets. I see a top 10-12 quarterback who is doing what he can on a really unsound team. I see a guy we can win significant games with who is still .500 on a team that has the worst defense in the league since like week 7, a bad and injured OL, and a run game that has mostly failed to launch. I see a guy who deserves to have Goff's stats, and would have comparable if not slightly better production if he were on the Lions behind that OL.

Don't get me wrong, we should still be searching for QBOTF, if only due to age alone and the desire for a rookie contract at the spot - but he's a legit starter, and if he moves on to a team with a better hold on offensive operations, he'll put up the same kinda numbers he did in 2022.

I understand that my analysis will never be taken at face value since I'm personally a fan of his, but he wouldn't have earned my fandom if I didn't think he was a legit player.

Rosco

Reaction score
Thought the same, but iirc, Geno got His jaw broken 9ver being extremely cheap when he reneged on a $600 charity donation. Unless he has changed, he ain’t spending his money on a social media team