USA Loses Basketball World Cup In Embarrassing Fashion

Welshers2

Reaction score
Team USA lost in the semifinals of the WBC this morning vs. Germany!! Yes it was America's C Team but they had all NBA starters vs Germany who half their guys aren't even in the league! This is a national embarrassment!

It's like if North Dakota State beat the Seahawks!!! This is unreal!

Chapow

Reaction score
Oh no! I'm so embarrassed!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Disappointing, yes. Shocking no. Because the gap between the rest of the world and the US is closing. In the US, basketball has turned into an individual sport while other parts of the world embrace a more team concept. That is why they fundamentally are better. They play within a team concept. USA doesn't anymore. That is why Lithuania beat the United States too. Look at who among the current top players in the NBA are - Giannis, Jokic, Doncic, Embiid etc. All international players.

The only saving grace is the cream of the US - Lebron, Curry, Devon Booker, Leonard, George, Lillard, etc didn't play. But the world is catching up.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Basketball is a worldwide sport. Many of the top players in the NBA are from other countries, especially Europe. I don't think it's shocking at all for a USA team full of backups to lose a game to any other countries. The gap isn't anywhere as big as it once was as someone else stated.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Disappointing, yes. Shocking no. Because the gap between the rest of the world and the US is closing. In the US, basketball has turned into an individual sport while other parts of the world embrace a more team concept. That is why they fundamentally are better. They play within a team concept. USA doesn't anymore. That is why Lithuania beat the United States too. Look at who among the current top players in the NBA are - Giannis, Jokic, Doncic, Embiid etc. All international players.

The only saving grace is the cream of the US - Lebron, Curry, Devon Booker, Leonard, George, Lillard, etc didn't play. But the world is catching up.
I saw a segment on 60 minutes years ago where they were talking to scouts and they said they preferred the European players because of what you brought up. The European players knew how to play as a team , play defense ,willing to pass the ball where the U.S. players were worried about themselves, their statistics,getting the epic dunk on sports center.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I saw a segment on 60 minutes years ago where they were talking to scouts and they said they preferred the European players because of what you brought up. The European players knew how to play as a team , play defense ,willing to pass the ball where the U.S. players were worried about themselves, their statistics,getting the epic dunk on sports center.
Yes. I agree with that. If the NBA wants to grow internationally and appeal to an international audience, they need to get back to a team focused concept. That would also help team USA potentially get back to being back on top of the world again.

morgulon1

Reaction score
A lot of these European players start very young at academies where they go to school , play basketball learning fundamentals with the express intent of going to the NBA. They're sponsored by
what you and I would call agents and the players future success is what's in it for them.