USA Today: Michael Crabtree - torn Achillies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1if3pvzk said:
Barring a miracle, I would say that you guys have the division pretty much on lock now, or it is at least yours to lose now.

Too bad this season our rivalry won't be what it was advertised now as it will be tough to compete without our #1 wideout, was really looking forward to seeing what our teams looked like against each other in week 2 at full strength.

I know the games have yet to be played, but without one of our key playmakers in a division that has become the toughest in the league, I can't honestly expect to find the Niners on top come December.

So me me be the first to say congrats. You guys better represent the NFCW right come January...and February! ;)

This is an overreaction. I do think this news makes us the favorite, but SF clearly still has a decent shot at retaining the division.

No guarantees that we make it to week 1 healthy ourselves.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2d2dzh7p said:
NinerLifer":2d2dzh7p said:
Barring a miracle, I would say that you guys have the division pretty much on lock now, or it is at least yours to lose now.

Too bad this season our rivalry won't be what it was advertised now as it will be tough to compete without our #1 wideout, was really looking forward to seeing what our teams looked like against each other in week 2 at full strength.

I know the games have yet to be played, but without one of our key playmakers in a division that has become the toughest in the league, I can't honestly expect to find the Niners on top come December.

So me me be the first to say congrats. You guys better represent the NFCW right come January...and February! ;)

This is an overreaction. I do think this news makes us the favorite, but SF clearly still has a decent shot at retaining the division.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's only OTAs right now, a lot can happen and it usually does.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":af3g7hac said:
NinerLifer":af3g7hac said:

Ya maybe, but unless AJ Jenkins explodes onto the scene this season, I am just being realistic with my expectations.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
These stats I just saw on NFL Live does not bode well for the Whiners:

Krapperdink when targeting Crabtree 8 TDs & 0 Ints, 68.5% Comp Pct., 9.8 Yds. per attempt
Krapperdink when targeting everyone else 1 TD & 4 Ints, 58.4% Comp Pct., 8.2 Yds. per attempt

Ouch

My sympathies to Crabtree. Wanted him instead of Curry for the Hawks in that draft.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd be concerned about Jenkins if he had been drafted by us. 1st round pick, 0 catches, inactive most games for his first year is a head-scratcher. I don't say this to troll 49ers fans, I'm actually honestly curious to see what will happen with him this year.

jack_patera

Reaction score
NinerLifer":3oz7no9o said:

So let me be the first to say congrats. You guys better represent the NFCW right come January...and February! ;)
relax...i don't think the sky has fallen yet...i still believe defense wins championships and as far as i know, crabtree didn't tackle anyone...

gspin2k1

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":tack4vkt said:
NinerLifer":tack4vkt said:

Unless you lose your starting QB/RB and in some cases receiver (if he is pretty much your entire team like Megatron). I don't think losing a single starter suddenly dooms you to lose your division title.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Boldin will fill in admirably for Crabtree as their #1 WR. It is disappointing we won't get to play the 49ers at full strength though.

Largent80

Reaction score
That's too bad for him.

As far as their team is concerned, this is a blow to Papaki, as Crabcakes was his go to guy.

And really, it is hard to feel sorry for SF. Who knows what lay in our injury future?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
jack_patera":3c1yn51j said:
relax...i don't think the sky has fallen yet...i still believe defense wins championships and as far as i know, crabtree didn't tackle anyone...
Jack - You need to retire, dude.

The days of defenses winning championships is long gone.

Really.

Shaz

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2uiuxzq9 said:
What kind of bizzaro universe is this when Seahawks fans are talking a Niners fan off the ledge...in a Seahawks forum?

Lol.

:16:

Because us Hawks fans know this could and has happened to us. Taking a key guy away from your team is always a big blow

Let's hope he recovers fast

Jville

Reaction score
The loss of Crabtree is a set back and not a season killing blow. Crabtree had is breakout in part because the 49er coaching staff chose to make him their featured receiver. I see this as a reset point for their passing game.

It's only May and they have pleny of time to restructure their wide receiver corp. They possess better than average talent and resources to make the adjustments to compete in 2013. I have no doubt they will overcome this set back.

drdiags

Reaction score
Injuries stink. That is one part of this game that is a downer to me. Guys getting lost for the season in practice or OTAs makes it seem that much more of a waste. The injury bug is always lurking out there waiting to pounce, ruining seasons and raining on parades. In the 9ers case, Crabtree along with losing Walker will have them adjusting their offense some but it isn't like they are the Patriots or Manning's Colts, airing it out all over the place.

I still expect two slobber-knocking games with scores in the low-20's.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Jville":yj4oqdvh said:
The loss of Crabtree is a set back and not a season killing blow. Crabtree had is breakout in part because the 49er coaching staff chose to make him their featured receiver. I see this as a reset point for their passing game.

It's only May and they have pleny of time to restructure their wide receiver corp. They possess better than average talent and resources to make the adjustments to compete in 2013. I have no doubt they will overcome this set back.

There's not exactly a wealth of top-shelf WR talent available. It's not as easy as "they have time, they will restructure".

Crabtree was, by far, Kaepernick's favorite and most targeted option in the passing game. Boldin is a "meh" guy for me, and they can't expect to feature him. Davis is the likely option, but really good defenses will key on him (like we do).

But yes, it's not a season killing blow. They will need to adjust, but they still have far too much talent to just wither.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
NinerLifer":1g8mzphf said:
MidwestHawker":1g8mzphf said:
NinerLifer":1g8mzphf said:

Ya maybe, but unless AJ Jenkins explodes onto the scene this season, I am just being realistic with my expectations.

Jenkins or Patton could step up.

But I would take solace in the fact that Crabtree vamped opportunities from Vernon Davis at an almost 1:1 pace versus when Alex Smith was tossing the rock. Even if Patton or Jenkins can't shoulder the WR production, Davis can very easily take up the remaining slack.

It's real rough. But there definitely was potential production of other great players that was converted into real production via Crabtree's emergence. The loss hurts, but it's not as if all of that production is flushed to sea. There is the ability to spread those catches and opportunities around more.

It could be an opportunity for CK to grow and involve more players in the game. Every young QB has to emerge from his security blanket. I remember distinctly when Brett Favre lost Sterling Sharpe and his 100 rec/yr. He didn't become the complete player until he turned Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Mark Chmura and Keith Jackson into prominent/productive receivers.

jack_patera

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":364pvfpv said:
jack_patera":364pvfpv said:
Jack - You need to retire, dude.

The days of defenses winning championships is long gone.

Really.

oh yeah? how many sb's have 'the high flying high octane but can't stop anyone if their life depended on it' new england patriots won lately? case closed..

gspin2k1

Reaction score
Shaz":1h354qmv said:
FlyingGreg":1h354qmv said:
What kind of bizzaro universe is this when Seahawks fans are talking a Niners fan off the ledge...in a Seahawks forum?

Lol.

:16:

Because us Hawks fans know this could and has happened to us. Taking a key guy away from your team is always a big blow

Let's hope he recovers fast

Not to mention as we all hope the Hawks will win the SB this year, we want them to do it against teams in full health, with as little questionable calls as possible. For instance if we managed to pull off that game against ATL last year, beat the Niners, get the SB and win. There would still be that question mark "what if RG3 was healthy or at least finished the game". Winning against teams lacking any of their stars kind of takes away from the win. Which sucks (and fuels the hate as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.