UW vs Cal

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Golden Bears made plays when needed but the Huskies stepped on themselves in this one. Dropped passes (this group needs to invest in some stickum or glue) and poor tackling was the reason for the loss. Did Nacua even play? Need to clean a lot up for next week.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Be interested to read Domes thoughts. He essentially called this a tough game (I thought he was posturing) and was at the stadium.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":1kelyisp said:
Be interested to read Domes thoughts. He essentially called this a tough game (I thought he was posturing) and was at the stadium.

My thoughts? We were happy to get out of there alive but not to worry, we have GoreTex. But seriously, why would I be "posturing" about a team that beat us last year and possesses a bona fide great defense? Like I said, they are underrated and UW's squad has many new starters, it would have been nice to have a couple of more OOC games before we hit the Pac schedule.

We were there to the bitter end as is our commitment but it was a difficult game to watch, all those dropped passes, and Eason looked uncomfortable with a couple of TO's. I think Cal's blitzes had him a little happy-toed. We were also weak against the run with that #27 getting a couple of TD's. All in all, we just didn't finish our drives and ended up having to kick too many FG's.

Wouldn't want to use it as an excuse but why wasn't the game cancelled? Almost the entire crowd left and our home field advantage too. Oh well, we lost to them last year and still won the Pac, but I think this team has some growing up to do.

We have season tickets to both the Huskies and Seahawks so a Husky night game combined with a Seahawks' day game is almost attendance overload (especially with the weather) but at least we got the split.

Because: IT"S GREAT TO BE A HUSKY!!!

ivotuk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":zrj1lqyi said:
Uncle Si":zrj1lqyi said:

My thoughts? We were happy to get out of there alive but not to worry, we have GoreTex. But seriously, why would I be "posturing" about a team that beat us last year and possesses a bona fide great defense? Like I said, they are underrated and UW's squad has many new starters, it would have been nice to have a couple of more OOC games before we hit the Pac schedule.

We were there to the bitter end as is our commitment but it was a difficult game to watch, all those dropped passes, and Eason looked uncomfortable with a couple of TO's. I think Cal's blitzes had him a little happy-toed. We were also weak against the run with that #27 getting a couple of TD's. All in all, we just didn't finish our drives and ended up having to kick too many FG's.

Wouldn't want to use it as an excuse but why wasn't the game cancelled? Almost the entire crowd left and our home field advantage too. Oh well, we lost to them last year and still won the Pac, but I think this team has some growing up to do.

We have season tickets to both the Huskies and Seahawks so a Husky night game combined with a Seahawks' day game is almost attendance overload (especially with the weather) but at least we got the split.

I
My hats off to you for attending both. After attending the Seahawks game, i could barely make it out of bed today. But I'm old, and tire easily with it my Geritol :p

CPHawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":42ati22u said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/WestCoastCFB/status/1171293604100227072[/tweet]

Is that true? UO has gained over 480yards and scored 45 and 42 vs them in that span.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

ivotuk":2kr5w5hn said:
DomeHawk":2kr5w5hn said:
Uncle Si":2kr5w5hn said:

I
My hats off to you for attending both. After attending the Seahawks game, i could barely make it out of bed today. But I'm old, and tire easily with it my Geritol :p

I read in another thread it was your first game, congrats on that. I must be getting old too because Monday was tough. This weekend was epic though with more lightning than I ever remember seeing in Seattle causing that brutal delay. I have two boys, 18 and 21, who I am trying to keep up with so I try to maintain the facade that I am up for anything, it's getting harder and harder.

Happy for you though, I guess we kind of take it for granted, hope you had a fantastic time!

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

JohnGlenn":1ewfsoq9 said:
Cal are just the better team. It really is that simple.

If it were that simple we (Huskies) would not be so frustrated. It's like when we lost to Alabama in the CFP, we knew we were over-matched so that's that. Cal is NOT a better team. Are they doing more with less? Yes. Are we doing less with more? Yes, again, but both of those games would have resulted in UW victories if not for some very fundamental mistakes.

Tical21

Reaction score
DomeHawk":cdxpo8pg said:
JohnGlenn":cdxpo8pg said:

If it were that simple we (Huskies) would not be so frustrated. It's like when we lost to Alabama in the CFP, we knew we were over-matched so that's that. Cal is NOT a better team. Are they doing more with less? Yes. Are we doing less with more? Yes, again, but both of those games would have resulted in UW victories if not for some very fundamental mistakes.
They're a good team that outcoaches us and plays clutch. I guess in a sense you could say they are the better team. I had a bad, bad feeling about this game, and once the delay hit, I was almost certain we were going to lose a low-scoring affair. Our offense wasn't ready for this challenge.

Savon played better than I thought he had in him, which is a great sign for the future, altho I'd still prefer Newton.

Eason. Hmmmmm. The deep accuracy issues were alarming, because he had some guys. The 800 mph fastballs on 3-yard routes were brutal, and for receivers used to catching balls from Browning, they're just not ready for that yet. It was kind of a perfect storm, literally. Season's over. But hopefully will still be fun. Sad part..I think Haener beats them.

The linebackers. Man. 13 is a mess. Love the corners. We need a reliable possession receiver so badly.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Tical21":13va1s28 said:
DomeHawk":13va1s28 said:
JohnGlenn":13va1s28 said:

They're a good team that outcoaches us and plays clutch. I guess in a sense you could say they are the better team. I had a bad, bad feeling about this game, and once the delay hit, I was almost certain we were going to lose a low-scoring affair. Our offense wasn't ready for this challenge.

Savon played better than I thought he had in him, which is a great sign for the future, altho I'd still prefer Newton.

Eason. Hmmmmm. The deep accuracy issues were alarming, because he had some guys. The 800 mph fastballs on 3-yard routes were brutal, and for receivers used to catching balls from Browning, they're just not ready for that yet. It was kind of a perfect storm, literally. Season's over. But hopefully will still be fun. Sad part..I think Haener beats them.

The linebackers. Man. 13 is a mess. Love the corners. We need a reliable possession receiver so badly.

Point taken, but I was referring to the overall talent on both teams.

Haener is an interception machine. You can look really good but if you continue to throw INT's it nullifies everything good you have done.

They have been catching those passes from Eason all camp, this is NOT on Eason.

A Newton/Salvon RB committee has the potential to be very good.

And, I get how you feel but the season is far from over.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

CPHawk":34nvvenc said:
KitsapGuy":34nvvenc said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/WestCoastCFB/status/1171293604100227072[/tweet]

Is that true? UO has gained over 480yards and scored 45 and 42 vs them in that span.

He said that only two teams had gained more, Oregon must be one of those.

But, that stat is NOT a "potential bright spot."

Tical21

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3cigouky said:
Tical21":3cigouky said:
DomeHawk":3cigouky said:
JohnGlenn":3cigouky said:

Haener is an interception machine. You can look really good but if you continue to throw INT's it nullifies everything good you have done.

I mean we don't know that Haener is an interception machine. He was for a quarter. This game required some savvy, and Eason just instead kept repeating what wasn't working. I do disagree that some of the blame is not on Eason for the drops. You can't throw 5 yard passes as hard as you can. You need to throw a catchable ball with a little touch. The receivers should catch the balls, but if you throw short passes that hard, there are going to be more drops, especially in weather. I watched part of the game again last night and mediocre receivers just aren't going to catch those balls. Cal played off-man and we just had no creativity. I hate rub routes, but if you aren't completing your slants, you gotta get a little creative.

Still, the glaring takeaway is the lack of stud players, especially at WR and LB. How many of our guys would start on a Georgia or Ohio State? Hunter Bryant, maybe a lineman or two, maybe a corner, but that's about it. This past year or so of recruiting seems better, but I'm OKG'd out. If we ever want to be an elite program, we're going to need elite talent at more positions than DB.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Tical21":2jk96zam said:
DomeHawk":2jk96zam said:
Tical21":2jk96zam said:
DomeHawk":2jk96zam said:

I mean we don't know that Haener is an interception machine. He was for a quarter. This game required some savvy, and Eason just instead kept repeating what wasn't working. I do disagree that some of the blame is not on Eason for the drops. You can't throw 5 yard passes as hard as you can. You need to throw a catchable ball with a little touch. The receivers should catch the balls, but if you throw short passes that hard, there are going to be more drops, especially in weather. I watched part of the game again last night and mediocre receivers just aren't going to catch those balls. Cal played off-man and we just had no creativity. I hate rub routes, but if you aren't completing your slants, you gotta get a little creative.

Still, the glaring takeaway is the lack of stud players, especially at WR and LB. How many of our guys would start on a Georgia or Ohio State? Hunter Bryant, maybe a lineman or two, maybe a corner, but that's about it. This past year or so of recruiting seems better, but I'm OKG'd out. If we ever want to be an elite program, we're going to need elite talent at more positions than DB.

Again, you make good points but Haener was never a solution in this scenario and he wasn't an interception machine for a quarter, he threw them all camp.

As for mediocre receivers, we have several 4-star receivers, they need to catch the ball.

I agree on the no creativity however and said it all last season as did CP when he said our offense was "pedestrian." Bush Hamdan is NOT a good OC.

As for the recruiting, it is a work in progress and truth be told, we are lucky USC is in a down phase or we probably we wouldn't be doing as good as we are. They currently have two 4-stars and 10 3-stars in their latest recruiting class, very unusual for a school that usually has multiple 5-stars and 4-stars. One good season and that will change fast. As for us, we need to achieve top-10 final rankings to get into the elite recruits.

Overall, I share your frustration but not so much on the OKG stuff as CP's lack of game-time skills. He is a great program and player development coach but somewhere along the line he lost some of the rep he had for winning big games. I can only hope that is just a small sample, but I wonder.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Footb ... mRankings/