Walker not expected to play in season opener

RiverDog

Reaction score
Once again the team seems snakebit with injuries at RB. Walker should be eased back as hernia injuries take some time to heal properly. Walker was a tough guy in college and for sure I hope this injury doesn't create a further series of other injuries.

Without a doubt even when the team drafts players with limited injury histories in college they wind up with trainer's room's full of higher draft picks who can't stay healthy.
That's one of the reasons why I'm generally opposed to spending high draft picks on running backs. Running backs are the most oft injured position on the field, and as you noted, using a clean injury history to forecast their durability in the NFL doesn't seem to work very well, or at least it hasn't with us.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
I have no reason to believe KWIII ever had a hernia, or surgury.
This whole 'story' could be a trick to keep Denver focusing on other threats.
At least I hope my theory is true.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
So, we have our pre-excuse ready when we get blasted 42-10 and Geno looks like doggy do.

hurray for us!

pete does have a history of basically giving rookies red shirt years. I have always hated it but it seems like he basically tells them to take the year after the smallest injuries.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I have no reason to believe KWIII ever had a hernia, or surgury.
This whole 'story' could be a trick to keep Denver focusing on other threats.
At least I hope my theory is true.
i mean... Pete did kind of rope and dope people a long with Harvin...

then again Pete rope and dopes everyone about any injuries. I don't think we've ever gotten a straight non around the bush vague answer from him involving any players who can be, or are injured.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
That's one of the reasons why I'm generally opposed to spending high draft picks on running backs. Running backs are the most oft injured position on the field, and as you noted, using a clean injury history to forecast their durability in the NFL doesn't seem to work very well, or at least it hasn't with us.

True, but a good running is so valuable and hard to come by. So I can't criticize the pick.

Completely agree about the injury history. Never seems to matter either way.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I’m just a few days ahead of KWIII in terms of hernia surgery. Feeling a lot better after 14 days. There were a few days where coughing, sneezing, farting…was a process. I’m told 4-6 weeks until back to normal. I should be good to go by the end of September. KWIII could possibly miss a couple of games. I’m fine with that. Fresh legs are always good.

RiverDog

Reaction score
True, but a good running is so valuable and hard to come by. So I can't criticize the pick.

Completely agree about the injury history. Never seems to matter either way.
I was actually semi-OK (is that a word?) with the Walker selection as at #40 he seemed to be a good value and I thought that his physical characteristics, ie short and stocky, lent himself to being less injury prone.

I'm good with Dallas and Homer as our running backs if it comes to that.

Boycie

Reaction score
In all fairness, sneezing when you've had abdominal surgery could cause a setback in the healing process. Possibly busting sutures or tearing tissue is a problem.

Sneezing while having back problems isnt the same but is still an issue.
I had the same injury playing hockey, and it took about a year to get the surgery, but I still can't skate like I used to. I am 47 though, so I'm sure the kid will heal faster than me.;)

chrispy

Reaction score
Seahawks run game won't be the difference in game 1. If RW3 has time to throw on any consistent basis, there's no reason to put in players that are hurt. If he has pressure and/or shows his 5-straight-3-and-out prowess, Seahawks are in relatively good shape. Either Denver D only sees the field for short periods of time or they'll be worn out enough by Q4 that backup/starting RBs will all be the same. It's hard for me to see how this game has a middle-ground. Game 1 is about Seattle D and RW. All else is just a side dish.

toffee

Reaction score
Will Penny be available for Game 1? Penny, Homer, and Dallas will be fine.

Quite impressed with Homer's preseason games, for a game or two, we could experiment Homer as our every down back, dude certainly block well enough not to be a liability on passing downs. Is he durable enough to carry 20-25 times a game may be questionable, but we will find out.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He's a RB and only has a couple of seasons of really good football. No need to rush him out with an uncompetitive team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For sure Pete must be shaking his head, as even when the RBs are healthy in college they come to Seattle and take up residence in the Trainer's room with one injury after another. I certainly hope this is just a blip and Walker can demonstrate his abilities.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
For sure Pete must be shaking his head, as even when the RBs are healthy in college they come to Seattle and take up residence in the Trainer's room with one injury after another. I certainly hope this is just a blip and Walker can demonstrate his abilities.

He will.

Unfortunate he didn't get to take some real snaps and get in the work he needs to as a rookie.

But we're deep enough at RB to start the season that Pete can be extremely cautious with Walker and make sure his groin is 100% before resuming training.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I'm coming up on 4 weeks post op from hernia surgery. KWIII is a few days behind me from the best I can guess. I'm getting better and better but if I push myself too hard, I start to experience a little bit of pain in the hernia site. I doubt that I could play a game this weekend or Monday, but then I'm in my 60's and get winded getting up for snacks at commercial breaks. 4-6 weeks seems to be the normal recovery time. I'm actually feeling better than I have in a long time. He might be ready by game 2 but if not then, I would be really surprised if he isn't ready for game 3. Its a long season. He'll get his reps. Not worried a bit.

GemCity

Reaction score
100% healthy is better than coming back now.
We’ll see plenty of him soon! Get well youngsta!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's unfortunate how quickly people want to pounce on a player. Let alone a rookie. Because I'm sure he got a hernia on purpose. Come on now, this kid is going to be a beast.