Was 2021 the worst draft ever for quarterbacks?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I think just because a QB is good coming out of college, that doesn't mean they're going to light it up in the NFL. There are a lot more factors at play, such as the culture, the supporting cast (OL/WR/RB), coaching, scheme, etc.

Just because you were recently good on one team doesn't mean you'll be good on another (Russell Wilson)
Just because you were recently bad on one team doesn't mean you'll be bad on another (Geno Smith)

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Outside of Trevor, 2021 was a qb disaster. Mond is actually out of the league currently and every first rounder picked has resulted In coaches reaching quite wildly for a plan b.

Zach Wilson Is bad enough that Trevor Simeian is now the new plan b after the original plan b with Rodgers failed.

Trey Lance is now an emergency qb for Dallas.

Justin Fields is fun when he’s a running back, but his team is still ranked 32.

Mac Jones’ presence has spurred Belichick to speed date through at least five qbs before signing two to the 53.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
This just proves it's really, really hard to teach someone how to effectively & correctly read complex NFL defenses.
You can have all the physical tools in the world but if you're running the wrong play, or don't follow the proper sequence of reads for what the defense is in, it's a lost cause.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
This just proves it's really, really hard to teach someone how to effectively & correctly read complex NFL defenses.
You can have all the physical tools in the world but if you're running the wrong play, or don't follow the proper sequence of reads for what the defense is in, it's a lost cause.

2021 was also the year of covid with players having little tape, no combine, and not able to be interviewed in person.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
Its pretty telling compared to the QB draft class the year prior.

2020 QB draft class:

1. Joe Burrow 1st overall
2. Tua Tagovailoa 5th overall
3. Justin Herbert 6th overall
4. Jordan Love 26th overall
5. Jalen Hurts 53th overall

Its crazy how stacked some classes are compared to others.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Is 2024 going to be like 2021 with only one winner (Williams) and the rest duds? Bears fans want to know in case they don’t luck out two years in a row with #1.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Honestly don’t know how the League missed so bad on Wilson. He had clear-as-day Will Levis levels of bust coming out.

Fields had potential but landed in a god awful situation.

I liked the idea of Lance, but it seems like the jump was too large for him.

Jones literally had a DC and a Special Teams coach as his OC last year, so his situation hasn’t been good.

I think if anything, the 2021 class shows fit is critical for QB success.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Honestly don’t know how the League missed so bad on Wilson. He had clear-as-day Will Levis levels of bust coming out.

Fields had potential but landed in a god awful situation.

I liked the idea of Lance, but it seems like the jump was too large for him.

Jones literally had a DC and a Special Teams coach as his OC last year, so his situation hasn’t been good.

I think if anything, the 2021 class shows fit is critical for QB success.
Fields is a very good athlete trying to play QB the gears in his head don’t work fast enough to play QB in the NFL he could succeed as a slash type player like Taysom Hill. Every team in the NFL besides the Bears knew this IMO he was no better than a 3rd pick

with Wilson they loved his athletic ability and were confident they could make him into something special maybe Andy Reid could but not the Jets

Jegpeg

Reaction score
NFL.com has 2021 in the middle of the pack for QB drafts. It was written in off season and some of the hope for the likes of Fields and Jones has decreased but I think the main thing is while it was wasn't a particualrly bad draft class the number of QBs drafted and where they were taken implied it was expoected to be one of the best draft classes of all time.
I think covid greatly reduced teams ability to judge players abilities and how they would fit into the NFL.

knownone

Reaction score
I don't think it was that bad. The circumstances led to more reaches than average. Wilson and Lance were low-sample-size guys that teams talked themselves into. Lawrence is a stud. Jones is a bottom-twenty starter. Mills is a fringe starter. Fields is a tight end.

Not great. But certainly not the worst.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I don't think it was that bad. The circumstances led to more reaches than average. Wilson and Lance were low-sample-size guys that teams talked themselves into. Lawrence is a stud. Jones is a bottom-twenty starter. Mills is a fringe starter. Fields is a tight end.

Not great. But certainly not the worst.

Name a draft in the past 10 years that’s had as many misses?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Trevor may be the only qb from that draft class to start 2024. The 2015 class wasn’t like that in 2018.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Is 2024 going to be like 2021 with only one winner (Williams) and the rest duds? Bears fans want to know in case they don’t luck out two years in a row with #1.

Names I’ve seen talked about for next year’s draft, in no particular order:

- Caleb Williams (USC)
- Michael Penix, Jr. (Washington)
- Bo Nix (Oregon)
- Shedeur Sanders (Colorado)
- Drake Maye (North Carolina)
- Quinn Ewers (Texas)

Note that Deion recently said his son won’t go pro until 2025.

The question is whether their skills translate to the next level, but that’s always the question.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Names I’ve seen talked about for next year’s draft, in no particular order:

- Caleb Williams (USC)
- Michael Penix, Jr. (Washington)
- Bo Nix (Oregon)
- Shedeur Sanders (Colorado)
- Drake Maye (North Carolina)
- Quinn Ewers (Texas)

Note that Deion recently said his son won’t go pro until 2025.

The question is whether their skills translate to the next level, but that’s always the question.
Depending on who has the #1 pick there is a good chance that Williams will return to USC for his senior year

Latest posts