Washington Commanders...

sutz

Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... -new-name/

Source: Washington Post

Finally, it has a name.

Eighteen months after dropping its longtime nickname, the Redskins, and beginning an extensive search for a new one, Washington’s NFL team revealed Wednesday that it will be the Commanders, a tribute to Washington’s military ties.

The announcement was made live on NBC’s “Today” show and on social media and was scheduled to be followed with a media event at FedEx Field with owners Daniel and Tanya Snyder and team president Jason Wright. The much-anticipated announcement finally closes the team’s 87-year chapter as the Redskins and marks the start of a new era — at least aesthetically, with the hope Commanders both resonates with fans and reflects the makeup of the Washington area, home to the Pentagon and bases for every branch of the military.

“It’s a name befitting a 90-year old franchise,” Wright said on “Today.” “It’s something that broadly resonated with our fans and something that we believe embodies the values of service and leadership that really defines the DMV and this community.”

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1488864580591890433[/tweet]

James in PA

Reaction score
Lame. Theismann accidentally revealed the name early too. I liked WTF, I mean WFT. It was growing on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
That "W" bugs me for some reason. I can already picture it being animated into an "L" in a gif/meme. Also, shouldn't Championship/SB's dates be reflective of the year of the season instead of year the game was played? :34853_doh:

Vesuve

Reaction score
Commanders?

Awful.

Cartoon character.

Washington Football Team was much better.

*puke*

ivotuk

Reaction score
I wish they would have found a way to maintain respect and tribute for Native Americans. I was all for Warriors, and keeping the Native American head/logo.

Commanders... :yawn:

SNDavidson

Reaction score
ZWc.jpeg

New nickname?

Marvin49

Reaction score
I mean...

...I think the team name is kinda dumb, but honestly nothing can be worse than the Houstan Texans. At least Washington tried. LOL. I likes Redwolves, but I think there is a license issue on that one.

Honestly tho, my biggest problem is the years they list themselves as champions.

Those are the years they won the Super Bowl or NFL Championship, but not the SEASONS they won them.

Example: The 49ers won in the Super Bowl in the 1988 Season, even tho the game was in January of '89.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Meh. Commanders? Meh.

The logos are also heavy on the meh. Yawn.

I was hoping they would go with Red Tails in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen in WWII. Other potential choices I would have chosen over Commanders...

I'm with ivotuk...Warriors would have been bad ass. Great nod to the Native American tie and it just rolls off the tongue perfectly...Washington Warriors

Also...

Defenders
Admirals
Generals

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1k8qnfea said:
Meh. Commanders? Meh.

I was hoping they would go with Red Tails in honor of the Tuskegee Airmen in WWII. Other potential choices I would have chosen over Commanders...

I'm with ivotuk...Warriors would have been bad ass. Great nod to the Native American tie and it just rolls off the tongue perfectly...Washington Warriors

Also...

Defenders
Admirals
Generals

Ok, I was with you until you go to that last one

The Washington Generals? Would you really want to name a football team after a basketball team known for losing?

chris98251

Reaction score
kidhawk":yvo9hjzm said:
Aros":yvo9hjzm said:
Meh. Commanders? Meh.

Also...

Defenders
Admirals
Generals

Ok, I was with you until you go to that last one

The Washington Generals? Would you really want to name a football team after a basketball team known for losing?

Or a failed USFL team ran by you know who.............

Elemas

Reaction score
Red Wolves or Hogs would’ve been much better.

I mean…Commanders?

Threedee

Reaction score
I wonder how much adopting a "C" name went into the thought process, given the Cowgirls rivalry.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’ve seen them already referred to as the Commies. Sounds about right.