Watson pleaded the 5th.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
John63":3kik739g said:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/11/deshaun-watson-what-we-know-one-year-after-first-lawsuit

The district attorney presented criminal cases to a grand jury Friday, the same day Watson was deposed for the civil cases; he invoked his Fifth Amendment right, per The New York Times’ Kevin Draper.

You plead the 5th so you don't incriminate yourself. He did something and he knows it.
I think Watson did something, but you can't hold pleading the 5th against him. Any lawyer worth their salt will tell their client to STFU and will handle the case themselves, that is lawyering 101.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
As Spin Doctor said, that is very much not at all how the fifth amendment works. An impressively tremendous misinterpretation.

I can't say whether he did or didn't do something, but that's just not how any of this works.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2hw1ged6 said:
As Spin Doctor said, that is very much not at all how the fifth amendment works. An impressively tremendous misinterpretation.

I can't say whether he did or didn't do something, but that's just not how any of this works.

Pleading the 5th is your right. Not to say anything for fear you might incriminate yourself. If you did nothing wrong no need to plead the 5th.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":3iknhf1m said:
Maelstrom787":3iknhf1m said:

Pleading the 5th is your right. Not to say anything for fear you might incriminate yourself. If you did nothing wrong no need to plead the 5th.

Christ almighty, you'll argue about anything. It's downright petulant.

This is rudimentary legal advice. Anyone who has ever so much as watched an episode of Law & Order, much less studied law in any fashion, knows this.

Silence does not imply guilt any more than using your first amendment right to free speech implies that you're a talkative person.

This is as basic as it gets. You are wrong, and clearly so.

What's next? Citizens utilizing their Miranda rights also being an admission of guilt?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1kf02r17 said:
John63":1kf02r17 said:
Maelstrom787":1kf02r17 said:

Christ almighty, you'll argue about anything. It's downright petulant.

This is rudimentary legal advice. Anyone who has ever so much as watched an episode of Law & Order, much less studied law in any fashion, knows this.

Silence does not imply guilt any more than using your first amendment right to free speech implies that you're a talkative person.

This is as basic as it gets. You are wrong, and clearly so.

What's next? Citizens utilizing their Miranda rights also being an admission of guilt?
Yep, using the 5th does not imply anything. In fact, lawyers almost always want their clients to stay as quiet as possible. It is the prosecution's burden to provide proof of the misdeed. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law. There is nothing to gain by talking to the court/police, innocent or not.

Prosecutors that take John's position are hammered by the judge, and laughed out of the courtroom. It is a fundamental right as a U.S citizen. As I said before, I personally think Watson did do something -- holding his usage of the 5th against him is foolish and quite frankly naive.

cymatica

Reaction score
John63":jheuzw8f said:
Maelstrom787":jheuzw8f said:

If you did nothing wrong you can still incriminate yourself. Try recollecting what you did 47 days and 17 hours ago. You get one little detail wrong, by mistake, and a prosecutor will use that against you to make it look like you are hiding something or lying.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Big Ben...prolific rapist 2x sb champ...hofer...Ray Lewis..murderer...2x sb champ..hofer. Like it or not talent and money will get players out of the messes they create. Not talking when accused of something is afforded to every person ...so why should Watson talk? He will pay off his accusers as that is what happens in the USA with rich people.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Aside from all that’s been said.

He was hiring “sex workers”.
That in its self is a crime, and talking about it surly was going to hurt his public image even worse.

“Pleading the 5th” is the smartest thing he could have done, especially considering that testimony could be used in the civil cases.

Side note for the record:

Watson’s indiscretions are no where, not even remotely close to “rape” and “murder”.
Every one of those women knew what they were getting into, believing or suggesting otherwise is pure silliness.

renofox

Reaction score
John63":3skvl83o said:
Maelstrom787":3skvl83o said:

The "justice" system in this county is not about truth or justice. It's a game that twists reality to achieve desired results. Any competent attorney will ALWAYS advise their client to never say a word - it can hurt you, but it will never help you, especially if you are innocent.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Lotta legal experts here. lol.

If you know you're going to win it's time to keep the mouth shut.

Not defending Watson because he sounds like a creep and I don't want him here.

But you don't speak when you've already got the case in hand.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am a Ham guy....Ham and cheddar omelettes are the bomb.

Seymour

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":163zzsd2 said:
John63":163zzsd2 said:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/11/deshaun-watson-what-we-know-one-year-after-first-lawsuit

The district attorney presented criminal cases to a grand jury Friday, the same day Watson was deposed for the civil cases; he invoked his Fifth Amendment right, per The New York Times’ Kevin Draper.

You plead the 5th so you don't incriminate yourself. He did something and he knows it.
I think Watson did something, but you can't hold pleading the 5th against him. Any lawyer worth their salt will tell their client to STFU and will handle the case themselves, that is lawyering 101.

Who cares about the lawyer? 22 women have come out against him, he's guilty as sin and that should be enough to move on from this asshat in terms of consideration. A $40 million predator?? Give me a break!! :177692:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":n7e7p1bx said:
Aside from all that’s been said.

He was hiring “$ex workers”.
That in its self is a crime, and talking about it surly was going to hurt his public image even worse. .

He didn't hire sex workers, he was getting massages, and was (allegedly) trying to get more than just massages.

He should have hired professionals, cause then none of this would have come out.

acer1240

Reaction score
John63":i9ok7myw said:
Maelstrom787":i9ok7myw said:

Bullshit. Any incorrect wording can incriminate an innocent person. If you ever talk to the police or testify in a trial you are an idiot.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Seymour":2b67t1lm said:
Who cares about the lawyer? 22 women have come out against him, he's guilty as sin and that should be enough to move on from this asshat in terms of consideration. A $40 million predator?? Give me a break!! :177692:

this^^^

acer1240

Reaction score
Seymour":2kmoon95 said:
Spin Doctor":2kmoon95 said:
John63":2kmoon95 said:

Oh. I didn't realize he was found guilty. If I ever end up on trial I hope to hell you are not on the jury.

Ever been with a woman when you were younger and she "wasn't sure?"

Quit judging people. You have no right to do so.