We just drafted a Geno Atkins clone

ivotuk

Reaction score
It still bothers me that the Seahawks passed on Geno Atkins in 2010 because "his arms were too short." Bengals got him in the 4th round, Pro Bowler, sack machine, and you could see it at Georgia and at the Senior Bowl. Geno Atkins: 7 Pro Bowls in 10 Years, 2 First Team All Pros.
Well, they seemed to have learned their lesson.

Geno Atkins Height 6'1" 293# 32" arms, 4.85 seconds in the 40

Byron Murphy 6'1" 297# 32 3/8" arms, 4.87 seconds in the 40

Geno Atkins Career 10 Years Games: 161 Sacks: 75.5 Solo Tackles: 228 FF: 8

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think the knock on Atkins was he wasn’t considered a “complete” prospect at the time he was drafted.

I remember Atkins had great agility and was able to pass rush really well in the NFL but his run stopping ability may need development.

Murphy, is a complete workhorse 3 tech.

Lightning quick, off the snap and can occupy 2 blockers. And also clog running lanes.

There is a reason Atkins was a fourth rounder and Murphy was considered a top-10 prospect….

I’m just giddy, Seattle, got Byron Murphy!!!

The guy is just a stud! An animal!

Ask Michael Penix what it was like to play against Murphy!

Better yet, you can ask your own guys in the building, Grubb and the OL coach….

Byron Murphy, tried to beat UW all by himself!

Byron Murphy was unstoppable in that playoff game against UW and UW had the best offensive line in the nation.

I think that’s all you need to know to justify picking Murphy and not second guessing it….

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Senior Bowl Announces 75th Anniversary Team 41 Legendary Players, including 19 Pro Football Hall-of-Famers, Selected to Historic Team

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Aaron Donald Pittsburgh ‘14 Rams

Bryant Young Notre Dame ‘94 49ers

Geno Atkins Georgia ‘10 Bengals

Aaron Donald was compared to Geno Atkins who "dominated the Senior Bowl"
2. The most impressive player in person (at the Senior Bowl) was Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald. He measured in at 6-1 and 288 pounds—short and light typically for NFL interior linemen—but the production is undeniable. He absolutely dominated one-on-one drills, and did it with a blend of power and speed.

There are obvious comparisons to Bengals All-Pro DT Geno Atkins, who similarly dominated the Senior Bowl in 2010 at 6-1½ and 293 pounds.

In 2009, Atkins was listed at No. 5 on Rivals.com's preseason defensive tackle power ranking.

He was also named to the 2009 Outland Trophy watch list.

In his three years after his freshman season, Atkins racked up 33 sacks, including 15 as a sophomore and 10.5 as a senior.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
As with the hire of Coach Mike, I wanted Murphy bigtime, only nervous cause they are doing the moves I'd want so hopefully I'm not setting seattle up for a decade of darkness ala 90's.

Latest posts