When do the other dominos fall?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1zx48sup said:
Sgt. Largent":1zx48sup said:
SoulfishHawk":1zx48sup said:
When Dilfer won his Super Bowl, and he was average, it was all about letting the D take over and don't do anything stupid. He was efficient enough to not screw it up. But he was far from a great QB.
Look at that list that Seymour posted. There are some average AT BEST QB's on that list.

Again, Dilfer won with another of the top 2-3 all time NFL defenses. To hold our SB and the Raven's SB as the blueprint is insane.

If you're playing the odds game, which all teams are. Then your odds are far better trusting your FO to build around your elite QB then it for them to build around a cheap mediocre or rookie QB.

Best example of the past 5 years is the Jags. They build a nasty elite defense, and when it came time to take on the Patriots to finally push them over the top, what happened? Oh yeah, they remembered they had Blake Bortles.

No team has won a SB paying more than 13% of the cap to the QB since 2004. That is 15 years of history we are now up against paying Wilson his 18-19%. Ya, I still want him, just stating the numbers are against us. I think since Pete has an archaic offensive strategy, our chances happen to be worse. It took drafting 6 pro bowl level picks over 3 years to do it in 2013. It will take at least that again and likely more IMO.

The numbers are against everyone not named the New England Patriots who have an elite QB willing to get paid far less then he's worth, AND have played in a complete and utter dumpster fire of a division for the better part of 20 years giving them a 4-5 game head start on the rest of the AFC in securing HFA through the playoffs, which has greatly helped them in reaching and winning SB's.

So neither approach we're discussing for keeping or not keeping Russell is a guarantee to win another SB. Chances are we probably won't. But which approach gives us the best chance to win games period in HOPES of making the playoffs enough times to HOPEFULLY get to another SB?

It's sure as hell not the approach without the elite QB in his prime.

Rat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1azfneb4 said:
SoulfishHawk":1azfneb4 said:
When Dilfer won his Super Bowl, and he was average, it was all about letting the D take over and don't do anything stupid. He was efficient enough to not screw it up. But he was far from a great QB.
Look at that list that Seymour posted. There are some average AT BEST QB's on that list.
Best example of the past 5 years is the Jags. They build a nasty elite defense, and when it came time to take on the Patriots to finally push them over the top, what happened? Oh yeah, they remembered they had Blake Bortles.

Bortles under center was good enough to get them to the AFC Championship Game, and then in that game he threw for 300 yards without turning the ball over, and posted a QB rating of 98.5, in a game where they held the lead with under three minutes to go. Was the problem in that game Bortles, or the fact that they were playing a Patriots team who has been in 13 of the last 18 AFC Championship games with Brady and Belichick?

HawkerD

Reaction score
austinslater25":3alkld5w said:
I do think the league views Clark as a elite ....

I think the talking heads think that. I am not sure the GMs/scouts think the same thing. He disappears far too often IMO.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm not sure why everybody is treating it like a given that Frank will show up and play on the franchise tag. His leadership is an important factor but if he skips the voluntary stuff then you have to question whether he'll report on time to training camp and leadership that doesn't show up doesn't provide benefit.

This is more of a philosophical stance but I also don't like need as an argument for overpaying a player. We have a fixed dollar amount to work with and the FO should be maximizing value at whatever positions they can. If we have a roster full of plus talent then it's on the coaching staff to scheme it up in a way that works, and I think even here people underrate Pete's defensive coaching ability.

The low hanging value will tend to be at positions where we are weakest, but if it isn't then don't force it. There's a good reason why the Patriots have bounced between great defense, the #1 offense, and even had balanced approaches at various times over the last two decades. It's true that prioritizing value over need can lead to spikier results, but as long-time fans we should welcome spiky outcomes (see: gladiator vs. brick-layer analogy, also: impact of first round bye).

The reason why I support Russ's contract is that there are a lot of bad contracts in the NFL and his isn't one of them. Last year we probably had something like $50 mil tied up in maybe $5 mil worth of production at best. Russ is unlikely to play much better than $140m over the next five years, but I also don't think he's going to play much worse than that.

Think of maximizing talent under the salary cap in terms of an investment portfolio, and if you have a big chunk of your cap tied up in a relatively stable investment that isn't a scary prospect at all. The key is what you do with the remainder. I'd rather load up on draft picks and rookie contracts where possible with the remainder going to worthwhile extensions and good bets made on veterans like we have done in the past.

chris98251

Reaction score
As stated above there are a lot of bad contracts made with players that have had one season of decent or good play and get rewarded, there was once this QB in St Louis that sucked, he was cut and picked up by the Vikings and had a great year, then went to Arizona, where is he now? Bradford I think is his name, he is almost forgotten now.

Wilson has played well in statistics and wins on a team that had less then all star WR's running game and no running game, abysmal lines, and did it every season he has been here. He earned it.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
No Way Seahawks will let Bobby go.
Wagner is still tops in his position and cannot be as easily replaced as some here believe. JS will likely pay top dollar but I hope he signs him to a 5 year extension. 5 years is a huge commitment but Bobby is healthy and still playing great. No way JS wants to negotiate all these top salaries the same year again.
Clark will likely be franchised.

getnasty

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3pmrv53z said:
No Way Seahawks will let Bobby go.
Wagner is still tops in his position and cannot be as easily replaced as some here believe. JS will likely pay top dollar but I hope he signs him to a 5 year extension. 5 years is a huge commitment but Bobby is healthy and still playing great. No way JS wants to negotiate all these top salaries the same year again.
Clark will likely be franchised.

No way you replace him its just a position thats not as important as the other two. I just don't see the team letting Bobby go so i think the odd man out is Clark. Also suprises me nodody mentions letting Reed walk.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":29qocioe said:
I'm not sure why everybody is treating it like a given that Frank will show up and play on the franchise tag. His leadership is an important factor but if he skips the voluntary stuff then you have to question whether he'll report on time to training camp and leadership that doesn't show up doesn't provide benefit..

You're right, Frank might not show up and play. But if he doesn't then he won't become a UFA next year..........not will he get paid.

I get that he's pissed. But it's a big contract for the Hawk's to match or surpass what Lawrence got, so I also see it from the team's side.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7ijg34m7 said:
AgentDib":7ijg34m7 said:
I'm not sure why everybody is treating it like a given that Frank will show up and play on the franchise tag. His leadership is an important factor but if he skips the voluntary stuff then you have to question whether he'll report on time to training camp and leadership that doesn't show up doesn't provide benefit..

You're right, Frank might not show up and play. But if he doesn't then he won't become a UFA next year..........not will he get paid.

I get that he's pissed. But it's a big contract for the Hawk's to match or surpass what Lawrence got, so I also see it from the team's side.

This happens with franchised players, they sit out all or most of training camp (say until games three or four of preseason), then sign. This limits their chance of a preseason injury and gives their agent a little leverage towards negotiating a long term contract.

Absent a contract or trade I expect Clark to sign before losing any of his $17+ mil...

Latest posts