When talking about the Hawks..."We" vs "They"

What do word do you use when you're talking about the Seahawks?

• We

Votes: 70 78.7%
  • They

Votes: 19 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ivotuk

Reaction score
mrt144":2wfx9l9f said:
ZagHawk":2wfx9l9f said:
So I just got in a conversation with someone the other day because he caught me using the term "we" a lot when talking about the Hawks. His point being, you don't play for the Hawks, it's "they". Perfectly logical if you ask me. But at the same time I feel like we're so in tuned and connected to this team through social media, training camp, setting noise records that helps our/the team in the stadium. That we can't help but say "we" when we talk about the Hawks. After all they are the Seattle Seahawks (for those of us who live in the area and/or are from it). But again, none of us play for the Hawks, I think there may be a few of us who work for the organization, but the rest of us don't. So what do you say when you're talking about the Seahawks, "we" or "they".

I use we, but only because as far as making a distinction with pronouns and antecedents, it's much more clear to use We when referring to the Seahawks, and they referring to any other team besides the Seahawks.

"We gave the Niners a hell of a NFC Championship game. They came close but were undone by our strong secondary and their absent minded play calling."

What the hell are antecedents? For that matter, what are pronouns.

I use we, but just because I feel like as a fan, that I contribute in some minor way to the team.

AMereMuse

Reaction score
This reminds me of an interesting Sport Psychology -Social Identity- theory that was lectured on in an otherwise tedious Sport Marketing class: Basking in Glory or Cutting off Failure. Basically, the concept states if you're team is winning then you bask in the glory of the win and you use the term, "we", a lot more to identify yourself with the team.

Of course, when they are miserable losers, fans disassociate themselves with the team a bit more - a little less trash talk on other teams' discussion forums for example - and you tend to use the word "they" or the team's name itself. Another strand of the theory are the fans who actually love the loser and identify with the team even more when they are 2- 14 (Basking in reflected failure) and usually think band-wagoners are the spawn of Satan or 49ers fans (both of similar characteristics).

Link for more info:
http://www.units.miamioh.edu/psybersite/fans/bc.shtml

chris98251

Reaction score
If someone is giving you a bad time about WE then they are most likely a non fan, WE KICKED THE DONKEYS ASS, WE SENT THE 49ERS HOME, they HATE US.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
AMereMuse":283jymvp said:
This reminds me of an interesting Sport Psychology -Social Identity- theory that was lectured on in an otherwise tedious Sport Marketing class: Basking in Glory or Cutting off Failure. Basically, the concept states if you're team is winning then you bask in the glory of the win and you use the term, "we", a lot more to identify yourself with the team.

Of course, when they are miserable losers, fans disassociate themselves with the team a bit more - a little less trash talk on other teams' discussion forums for example - and you tend to use the word "they" or the team's name itself. Another strand of the theory are the fans who actually love the loser and identify with the team even more when they are 2- 14 (Basking in reflected failure) and usually think band-wagoners are the spawn of Satan or 49ers fans (both of similar characteristics).

Link for more info:

:2:
and welcome.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I used to care about this. I still use "they" when talking about football decisions, but I stopped caring how others use it a long time ago. It simply does not matter.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AMereMuse":2pr0u6u6 said:

Link for more info:

We do the same thing with our kids.

We love to take credit for our kids when they do good things, but as soon as they're naughty we say "do you know what YOUR son did today!?"

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I say "we" all the time. As a passionate fan it just rolls off the tongue. For those who say that I've got no skin in the game to say that, I point out the ridiculous amount of money I've spent over the years following my team. Gear, game tickets, hotels, airline tickets, rental cars, etc., etc...

Hawks46

Reaction score
I use both, and like a lot of the fans posting here, it depends on context.

Yes, I know we don't play for the team, but if they (the NFL) didn't want a sense of community or ownership, there wouldn't be any teams named after cities or regions. People are social, herding animals and we latch on to things that are close to us that we identify with.

As for the d-bags that are trying to be cute with the "you don't play for them" schtick: if "WE" (the fans) don't buy tickets, watch TV to draw ratings, buy from advertisers, buy team products and support the sport in general, then "THEY" (the players and owners) don't get a salary or team. The Fans make the NFL (or any sport). These sports leagues seem to forget that.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Scottemojo":aiq926tr said:
I used to care about this. I still use "they" when talking about football decisions, but I stopped caring how others use it a long time ago. It simply does not matter.
There it is. In all seriousness, more of this sentiment in general = more harmonious society. "Live and let live" is getting its ass kicked with all the instant access to anonymous belittlement and bickering.

evergreen

Reaction score
It's like when the girl you were interested use the "we" word. It meant she was involved. Well, I'm involved. So Kaep can take his gangsta ass somewhere else......... :49ersmall:

evergreen

Reaction score
Are We 12s or are They 12s? It's kinda funny too that WE applies to Hawk fans more than any other team or sport. Where else do the fans matter more than in Seattle where they have their own number? The WE (#12) jersey is currently 10th in sales too! Only #3 and #25 sell more. :49ersmall:

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I tend to use they but on a rare occasion will find myself saying we. I don't like to say we because I am investing nothing more than money. I suppose this attitude comes from my playing days. I remember feeling a bit irked when I would hear people talk about the team(s) I layed on and referred to them as we. I always felt like why would you say we when it wasn't your ass out there in august doing two a days, it wasn't your ass practicing all week, and it wasn't your ass on the field come game time. My feeling about using they is in respect to the guys who are actually on the team. I'll root for you win lose or draw but at the end of the day I am just a fan, a spectator , while you are in the locker room, on the field, in the film room. Are those who played the game more likely to use they over we?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I use "we" most of the time in discussions with fans of other teams. It doesn't much happen any more, but people occasionally would say something about "you play for the team?" if I said "we" or "us".

My usual retort was something to the effect of my team gave me my number and I wear it proudly.

Latest posts