Who has a great D?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's sad that you think this mediocre defense is anywhere near "great."

They just gave up 23 points to a team with a backup QB who threw for over 300 yards and 2 TD's without their #1 wide receiver.

If that's great then you need to re-adjust your metrics. This is a defense that went from horrific to mediocre.

Congrats?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fxsf1f0 said:

They just gave up 23 points to a team with a backup QB who threw for over 300 yards and 2 TD's without their #1 wide receiver.

If that's great then you need to re-adjust your metrics. This is a defense that went from horrific to mediocre.

Congrats?

Exactly. They went from being historically bad to just bad and thats the turn we should be happy about?

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2no3ntoh said:
Sgt. Largent":2no3ntoh said:

Congrats?

Exactly. They went from being historically bad to just bad and thats the turn we should be happy about?

I think NOT I think this D is legit! they give up some yards and they are not perfect but they looked pretty good tonight in a crazy game... Got to love their play!

LTH

olyfan63

Reaction score
D was good enough to win tonight. D has evolved from an NFL-worst to perhaps a slightly-above-average unit, aside from being weak in pass rush.

Now, can Hawks D slow down the Rams and Cardinals offenses, that is the question.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
The defense literally prevented the Niners from crossing midfield for almost the entire second half aside from ONE drive that ended with a red zone stand on 4 plays. They got burned early and then pitched a shutout for the rest of the game.

Our defense is good. Why does this seem to upset people?

We've been in every game all the way to the 4th quarter including a game where our offense scored ZERO points. Any defense that keeps you in the game (against the Green Bay Packers, the current number two in the NFC) all the way until the 4th quarter when your offense has scored NOTHING is not bad.

Yeah, we give up a lot of yards, but that's a byproduct of our TOP problems. An offensive issue that shows up in the defensive stats. In the metrics that matter, our D looks good.

The only issue is that they are good but frustrating. Yeah, we lose guys in the middle of our zone scheme too often and don't adjust to either a different scheme or to man as fast as I'd like. We tend to lose star players and get burned by the same guy over and over.

But again, even this stuff wouldn't stand out as much if our offense did what they are supposed to do. We get burned a lot because the other team has more chances to burn us.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":2rt11iaw said:
The defense literally prevented the Niners from crossing midfield for almost the entire second half aside from ONE drive that ended with a red zone stand on 4 plays. They got burned early and then pitched a shutout for the rest of the game.

Our defense is good. Why does this seem to upset people?

We've been in every game all the way to the 4th quarter including a game where our offense scored ZERO points. Any defense that keeps you in the game (against the Green Bay Packers, the current number two in the NFC) all the way until the 4th quarter when your offense has scored NOTHING is not bad.

Yeah, we give up a lot of yards, but that's a byproduct of our TOP problems. An offensive issue that shows up in the defensive stats. In the metrics that matter, our D looks good.

The only issue is that they are good but frustrating. Yeah, we lose guys in the middle of our zone scheme too often and don't adjust to either a different scheme or to man as fast as I'd like. We tend to lose star players and get burned by the same guy over and over.

But again, even this stuff wouldn't stand out as much if our offense did what they are supposed to do. We get burned a lot because the other team has more chances to burn us.

Ill tell you why it because some people would rather the team lose than be wrong in their assessment. Then other people read what they write and get sucked into the negativity.

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
They play well in spurts, but my lord they might be the worst tackling defense i've ever seen. They need to tighten that up.

xray

Reaction score
What really good offensive team with a top tier QB have the Hawks D played this year so far and won ? They have lost to 2 backup QBs BTW .

ZagHawk

Reaction score
xray":4sq89qyl said:
What really good offensive team with a top tier QB have the Hawks D played this year so far and won ? They have lost to 2 backup QBs BTW .

* A win is always a good time especially against a divisional rival and especially a sweep against THIS divisional rival. So Happy on all accounts for this win.

Okay moving on

- The D is not "Great" But it sure as hell looks better than before. At this point this D is good enough to make this team a contender with a few more modifications and ideally a clicking offense. BUT that also would only be the case to start the season, not the hole that this team is in currently. This season is over.

- The "scheme" still needs modifications and suffers tremendously without key aspects working. i.e. A lot of times JG seemed to have all day to throw. Tight Ends like Kittle (he is a beast) made the defense look bad. Without multiple crucial turn overs from bad QB throws this D will still be an issue as opposing teams still drive up the field at relative ease.

Anyway a win was nice to see, nice to turn overs, safety was great. Consistent QB pressure still needs work, There were quite a few times where the WRs for the Niners were way too open. Allowing teams to burn clock and drive up the field also still an issue.

TL;DR: D looks better than it did to start the season for sure, its far from "Great", team is too large of a hole at this point for any of it to matter. D still has work to do to be "Great" and offense needs to be way more consistent as well...but once again team too large of a hole for this season realistically to matter.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3uaa9heb said:
xray":3uaa9heb said:

* A win is always a good time especially against a divisional rival and especially a sweep against THIS divisional rival. So Happy on all accounts for this win.

Okay moving on

- The D is not "Great" But it sure as hell looks better than before. At this point this D is good enough to make this team a contender with a few more modifications and ideally a clicking offense. BUT that also would only be the case to start the season, not the hole that this team is in currently. This season is over.

- The "scheme" still needs modifications and suffers tremendously without key aspects working. i.e. A lot of times JG seemed to have all day to throw. Tight Ends like Kittle (he is a beast) made the defense look bad. Without multiple crucial turn overs from bad QB throws this D will still be an issue as opposing teams still drive up the field at relative ease.

Anyway a win was nice to see, nice to turn overs, safety was great. Consistent QB pressure still needs work, There were quite a few times where the WRs for the Niners were way too open. Allowing teams to burn clock and drive up the field also still an issue.

TL;DR: D looks better than it did to start the season for sure, its far from "Great", team is too large of a hole at this point for any of it to matter. D still has work to do to be "Great" and offense needs to be way more consistent as well...but once again team too large of a hole for this season realistically to matter.

Well, that's good you have made a little bit of progress. You have gone from this D is NOT getting better, it's the worst D in the NFL Norton should be fired immediately and the whole D should be gutted completely, to, this D is not great but sure looks better than before.

LOL

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LTH":kj9uv6ub said:
Well, that's good you have made a little bit of progress. You have gone from this D is NOT getting better, it's the worst D in the NFL Norton should be fired immediately and the whole D should be gutted completely, to, this D is not great but sure looks better than before.

LOL

LTH

Thats about the equivalent as to the improvement of the defense. They went from horrific to just below average. Unfortunately, just below average looks like gangbusters to us now.

Like I said before, they play decent in spurts, but let me ask anybody, was there any doubt at all that the 49ers were going to drive right down the field at the end of the game and be in position to tie the game? I fully expected it and thank goodness that pass was tipped because the guy was wide open and they would have. Thats the Seahawks defense we all know and love.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1qar1txr said:
LTH":1qar1txr said:

LOL

LTH

Thats about the equivalent as to the improvement of the defense. They went from horrific to just below average. Unfortunately, just below average looks like gangbusters to us now.

Like I said before, they play decent in spurts, but let me ask anybody, was there any doubt at all that the 49ers were going to drive right down the field at the end of the game and be in position to tie the game? I fully expected it and thank goodness that pass was tipped because the guy was wide open and they would have. Thats the Seahawks defense we all know and love.

Look at the stats on the Seahawks red zone D. was there any doubt that the 9ers were going to drive down the field? no they took off almost 5 min off the clock doing it... but at the same time was there any doubt the Hawks were going to lets them score? not in my mind...

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LTH":1p4cm7eu said:
pittpnthrs":1p4cm7eu said:
LTH":1p4cm7eu said:

LOL

LTH

Look at the stats on the Seahawks red zone D. was there any doubt that the 9ers were going to drive down the field? no they took off almost 5 min off the clock doing it... but at the same time was there any doubt the Hawks were going to lets them score? not in my mind...

LTH

You mean the defense allowed a 5 minute sustained drive? Also, did you miss where I said they were damn lucky the pass got tipped because it was going to be a TD? Its great you have so much confidence in one of the leagues worst ranked defenses, but you be you.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":e249a08t said:
LTH":e249a08t said:
pittpnthrs":e249a08t said:
LTH":e249a08t said:

LOL

LTH

LTH

You mean the defense allowed a 5 minute sustained drive? Also, did you miss where I said they were damn lucky the pass got tipped because it was going to be a TD? Its great you have so much confidence in one of the leagues worst ranked defenses, but you be you.

And it's unfortunate that you don't want to give credit where credit is due... but you be you Never change brother then I wouldn't have anybody to argue with LOL

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Our defense will allow you to march up the field on them. The whole plan is allow the team to get short yardage chucks but make it take enough times to move the chains that you can capitalize on them making mistakes.

The 49ers are prone to mistakes on offense (passing) so this plays right into our hands.
(Though their defense helped us with mistakes all day...those roughing the passer calls were obvious and very dumb)

We do tend to beat the 49ers because they struggle to match up with Wilson.

We don't have a great D. And we got lucky on that last drive, because that was pretty clear PI. But we've lost games due to bad calls by the refs, feels fair we should at least get to save our lead for the same reason.

Give them credit though. They did a great job when they had to prevent the 1st down in short yardage scenarios.

That was good. And we did get pressure when the 49ers were backed into their EZ.

The rest was not as fantastic but it worked. I will take it.

Mizak

Reaction score
Fade":bdgducbz said:
The Seahawks do not have a great defense.

They did pass up worst, awful stage up to mediocre stage though. No where to average.

Fade

Reaction score
keasley45":2dwjptx1 said:
Fade":2dwjptx1 said:
The Seahawks do not have a great defense.

No. Just top 10 in most every important statistical category but yards.

They don't gets sacks, they don't force turnovers, they don't create negative plays.

EPA & DVOA they don't grade well.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/team/sea

They are the weakest unit on the team.