Will Seattle Shock us?

HawksNation

Reaction score
Would you be mad if JS trades Down to 11 picking up a 2024 1st, pick 41 and they went a completely different direction then is being mocked, by selecting Peter Skoronski as their Guard?

Honestly curious..🤨

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
So far we when JS/PC have had a top pick (15 or better) they have stood pat and used it. I am expecting the same
Right, but here's what I'm thinking happens:

Stroud, Young, Anderson, and Levis will be off the board before our 5th overall pick. I'm not so sure the Hawks value anyone after that at pick number 5 without feeling like a reach. I absolutely do not feel like Carter will even be on their draft board at this point. So, with that being said it wouldn't surprise me if they traded down to around 9ish, that's probably the sweet spot.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Come on. Trade down with the Bears for second round pick so we can draft ahead of the Lions.

Chevy

Reaction score
Right, but here's what I'm thinking happens:

Stroud, Young, Anderson, and Levis will be off the board before our 5th overall pick. I'm not so sure the Hawks value anyone after that at pick number 5 without feeling like a reach. I absolutely do not feel like Carter will even be on their draft board at this point. So, with that being said it wouldn't surprise me if they traded down to around 9ish, that's probably the sweet spot.
If thats what happens in the 1st four picks, then I think the Seahawks will select either Anthony Richardson or (OLB) Tyree Willson or (OLB) Will McDonald with the #5 overall pick.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I would be surprised, but mainly because the Titans seem like a likely place for one of the good tackles to end up where they are already sitting at #11. That's also a very rich trade up and it would be roughly fair via Rich Hill model to simply swap #5 with #11 and #41. If they were offering their first as well then I would take that deal immediately.

Skoronski looks like a great fit as a zone blocking guard, but much of the point of a zone blocking scheme is being able to take smaller athletic guys later rather than needing a bunch of rare powerful giants who go off the board quick and cost a lot of money. I would want a Quenton Nelson type if we were drafting a guard that early.

My preference would be to take a zone blocking guard much later in the draft to compete for a backup IOL role, preferably somebody with versatility to play center as well if we don't end up with one. Mauch and Avila are popular day 2 picks, or Emil Okiyor, Antonio Mafi and Nick Broeker could be intriguing day 3 options. Alternatively, if we do draft a center then I'd like to take a day 3 flier on Andrew Vorhees who tore his ACL at the combine.

Chevy

Reaction score
I would be surprised, but mainly because the Titans seem like a likely place for one of the good tackles to end up where they are already sitting at #11. That's also a very rich trade up and it would be roughly fair via Rich Hill model to simply swap #5 with #11 and #41. If they were offering their first as well then I would take that deal immediately.

Skoronski looks like a great fit as a zone blocking guard, but much of the point of a zone blocking scheme is being able to take smaller athletic guys later rather than needing a bunch of rare powerful giants who go off the board quick and cost a lot of money. I would want a Quenton Nelson type if we were drafting a guard that early.

My preference would be to take a zone blocking guard much later in the draft to compete for a backup IOL role, preferably somebody with versatility to play center as well if we don't end up with one. Mauch and Avila are popular day 2 picks, or Emil Okiyor, Antonio Mafi and Nick Broeker could be intriguing day 3 options. Alternatively, if we do draft a center then I'd like to take a day 3 flier on Andrew Vorhees who tore his ACL at the combine.
This is a bad draft for a LT. So I'm 99.9 percent sure Titans won't trade up to #5 for a sus LT.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
If thats what happens in the 1st four picks, then I think the Seahawks will select either Anthony Richardson or (OLB) Tyree Willson or (OLB) Will McDonald with the #5 overall pick.
Just out of curiosity, do you think using a 5th overall pick and not using the player at all this year (and wasting 1 year of his rookie contract) would be a wise decision? I mean, there's no crystal ball and there's no knowing whether or not Richardson will end up as a superstar at QB, I would expect a 5th overall pick to start their first year.

Edit: I'm also starting to feel like they're not interested in Wilson, and MacDonald at #5 feels too high to draft.

Last edited:

Chevy

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you think using a 5th overall pick and not using the player at all this year (and wasting 1 year of his rookie contract) would be a wise decision? I mean, there's no crystal ball and there's no knowing whether or not Richardson will end up as a superstar at QB, I would expect a 5th overall pick to start their first year.

Edit: I'm also starting to feel like they're not interested in Wilson, and MacDonald at #5 feels too high to draft.
It depends on your thought of our current team/roster. Does that same crystal ball guarantee the Seahawks an All Pro player that is not a QB at #5? OLB Will Anderson is overrated, I would rather shoot my shot on Richardson than Anderson. If you think we can be in contention for the Super Bowl next year, then don't draft a QB at #5. But we have so many holes and Geno signed a contract to be a bridge QB. So yes it's a wise decision to draft Richardson at #5. We have not had and will not have a top-5 pick to land a legit/immensely talented QB for the next 5 years. I think it is highly short-sided if any fan can think we can just draft a QB in any draft year outside the 1st round and he can be a legit high end QB talent.

OP
OP
H

HawksNation

Reaction score
It depends on your thought of our current team/roster. Does that same crystal ball guarantee the Seahawks an All Pro player that is not a QB at #5? OLB Will Anderson is overrated, I would rather shoot my shot on Richardson than Anderson. If you think we can be in contention for the Super Bowl next year, then don't draft a QB at #5. But we have so many holes and Geno signed a contract to be a bridge QB. So yes it's a wise decision to draft Richardson at #5. We have not had and will not have a top-5 pick to land a legit/immensely talented QB for the next 5 years. I think it is highly short-sided if any fan can think we can just draft a QB in any draft year outside the 1st round and he can be a legit high end QB talent.
Hendon Hooker at 52

AgentDib

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I really think Richardson's need to sit out for a year is being overstated by those fixated on his single completion % stat and not really appreciating the nuances or bigger picture around it.

Most of the time when we talk about dual threat QBs the conversation is about how they were always the best athletes and thus played QB, but never had particularly good arm talent. Richardson's arm talent on the other hand is exceptional, and his first instinct is to hang in the pocket despite pressure and get the throw off. If he couldn't move at all there would still be div I college programs interested in him next year simply as a statue pocket passer.

When you watch him play, that arm talent manifests as the ability to make seemingly effortless throws all over the field without having his feet set. That does cause bad habits, and many of his misses on shorter passes are the result of him not doing the proper footwork for maximum consistency. However, he also attempts a lot of passes that others don't. CJ Stroud had much better protection and when his protection broke down was a lot more likely to just take the sack and go to the next play. Richardson was more likely to try to stiff arm the defender with one hand and try to complete a pass somewhere, sometimes ill-advised. That hurt his accuracy numbers, as did receiver drops, as did his lack of footwork at times.

His youth and inexperience are also heavily in his favor, because his football IQ looks pretty good when you factor those in. There's a big difference to me between Will Levis making a head scratching decision in his fourth season of college football, and Richardson failing to look off a safety in his 8th career start. There is some good and some bad in there but you can see Richardson going through reads and doing some smart things against good college defenses.

Lastly, it does matter a lot that Richardson is not just "mobile" but a faster bigger Derrick Henry with a 10.0 relative athletic score. Lamar Jackson was 6-1 in his rookie season with a 58% completion rating and a bad QBR. In my view it would be a waste for a team to draft Richardson and spend an entire year of his rookie deal with him on the sidelines just practicing the same footwork drills ad nauseum. What he actually needs is game experience and should get reps in some creative packages and short yard situations even if he was drafted by a team like Seattle with an entrenched starting QB.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Would you be mad if JS trades Down to 11 picking up a 2024 1st, pick 41 and they went a completely different direction then is being mocked, by selecting Peter Skoronski as their Guard?

Honestly curious..🤨
I’m fine with it if they move Lewis back the right side. Lewis and Lucas would be fun to watch.