Wilson Wants to Play Into Mid Forties...

chris98251

Reaction score
Josea16":15ai9p9j said:
Bigpumpkin":15ai9p9j said:
I believe that Russ will be able to play his "style" of football for at least another 10 years. We have the potential to be dominate while Russ is here......he is definitely not our "weak link".
Given one of the quarterbacks that he is very similar to (Fran Tarkenton) played 18 years in a far tougher era at 6 feet tall I completely agree. With very slight changes to "his" style and actually spending at least 50% of the cap on offense I could see him playing another 15 years.

Fran was Mr elusive, scrambling is not a running QB, Russell is both right now, I think his whooooop plays with making guys miss will still happen, you will see less taking it up the gut for 20 yards, the 5 and ten may still happen because he sees lanes so well, he just won't be able to keep the seperating with speed from the young guys.

He better have a good running game as well of pass protection by then. Health is going to be his biggest challenge in another 4 or 5 years.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":3tm8o6d7 said:
Josea16":3tm8o6d7 said:
Bigpumpkin":3tm8o6d7 said:
I believe that Russ will be able to play his "style" of football for at least another 10 years. We have the potential to be dominate while Russ is here......he is definitely not our "weak link".
Given one of the quarterbacks that he is very similar to (Fran Tarkenton) played 18 years in a far tougher era at 6 feet tall I completely agree. With very slight changes to "his" style and actually spending at least 50% of the cap on offense I could see him playing another 15 years.

Fran was Mr elusive, scrambling is not a running QB, Russell is both right now, I think his whooooop plays with making guys miss will still happen, you will see less taking it up the gut for 20 yards, the 5 and ten may still happen because he sees lanes so well, he just won't be able to keep the seperating with speed from the young guys.

He better have a good running game as well of pass protection by then. Health is going to be his biggest challenge in another 4 or 5 years.
Exactly, hence the importance of evolving into more of an offensively focused team in the next 2-3 years. He's your meal ticket and it's past time to build around him. Moves like Duane Brown need to keep coming.

Imagine Russell Wilson with Philadelphia's OL and RPO plays in the playbook not just the RO. You think Wentz is good? With what he has just on offense Wilson would put up Madden numbers.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1n2mrtrm said:
IndyHawk":1n2mrtrm said:
Sgt. Largent":1n2mrtrm said:
It'll be interesting to see Russell's career evolve if he indeed does play into his late 30's and early 40's.

Healthwise I have no doubt he will keep his body in great shape. But what we'll have to see is how much his quickness and allusiveness age.

Brady's different, he just catches the snap, moves laterally or backwards 2-3 yards and throws it. Russell relies heavily on his allusiveness and quickness to break contain and make plays. Might not be easy for him to maintain this style into his late 30's and early 40's as he ages, slows down and sustains more injuries.
Brady has lasted this long because of how he does it and he can see over the line.
RW is not going to last like Brady..I'm sorry but he will have to untrain a lot of what makes him so good.
That would turn him into a average at best QB and his height does him no favors when he ages.
So, tell me how the shorty Brees does it again? Oh, wait-those two inches are really helping him. Never mind... :sarcasm_on:
Brees is not in his mid 40's..That is what I mean about RW ..I cannot see him even getting to 40..
I'm not trying to gloom it but most qb's you ever saw to 40 were damaged and a shell of what they was.
Fran Tarkington ..Was not past 40 when he was busted up by the Hawks in 78 right?I think he was under 40 and that was his final year and last game(Hawks game)

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I guess I should revise my post; Playing past 40 is not feasible, considering only a select few have managed to do so-however, Brees is playing top notch at 38 and I don’t see him slowing down or getting worse. I see Russ having the same length of time. 1/2 inch of height be damned!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I see Rivers has said he will definitely not play when he is mid forties which surprised me as thats how old i thought he was. Who could have thought having 8 kids would age a man so much?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Even if he loses his speed, he can still be rolled outside the pocket, and be elusive like a Tony Romo or Rodgers. What actually makes Russell dangerous is his instincts. I fully trust him to evolve and develop new moves as he gets to his mid-30s and 40s.

I can also picture him still running. When I watch guys like Carson Wentz or Alex Smith run for more yards, I figure their speed now is what Russell would be at 35 or 40. I don’t see a drastic drop off where he becomes even slower than those guys. Plus, Russell’s a strong freakish athlete

Palmegranite

Reaction score
sutz":1dazxdvq said:
homerun1970":1dazxdvq said:
Are you kidding with aging he is only going to get shorter. :sarcasm_off:
No way. He has a stretching coach. He'll be 6'2" by the time he retires.

:twisted:
Funniest post of the year! Well played Mr or Ms Sutz...

NINEster

Reaction score
Ask Andy Benoit this question.

Based on his tweets of film study, at Wilson's current level of passing (pocket ability/presence, progressions, reading the field, etc) he will be lucky to be an NFL starter past 35. At least on a top team.

The Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers mobility is utilized in a totally different way than Wilson.

At some point Wilson is NOT going to be able to make amazing escapes anymore, so that many more sacks/throwaways/picks will come with huge passing plays/TDs taken off the board.

Brees was always a much better pocket/anticipation passer.

Wilson will probably get better to offset everything, but a wall will be reached at some point.

adeltaY

Reaction score
NINEster":18gb8z3i said:
Ask Andy Benoit this question.

Based on his tweets of film study, at Wilson's current level of passing (pocket ability/presence, progressions, reading the field, etc) he will be lucky to be an NFL starter past 35. At least on a top team.

The Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers mobility is utilized in a totally different way than Wilson.

At some point Wilson is NOT going to be able to make amazing escapes anymore, so that many more sacks/throwaways/picks will come with huge passing plays/TDs taken off the board.

Brees was always a much better pocket/anticipation passer.

Wilson will probably get better to offset everything, but a wall will be reached at some point.

Benoit was the guy who ranked Wilson as 12 or 14th behind Eli, Flacco, and Carr. Dude has a hardon for pocket passers and guys with big arms. There are other ways to play the game successfully than certain people think it has to be played. Also, either in 2015 or 2016, Alex Smith led the league in scramble yards. So he does take off running plenty of times.

You might be right. Then again, Wilson is a fierce competitor and people have doubted him all his career and he's gone out and proved he can be the winner they said he couldn't. Many people have been saying there's no way Brady could play at an elite level and he'll hit a cliff and start sucking.... hasn't happened. Wilson isn't on his level, but he's a lot like Brady as a competitor.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
With this line???
He'll be lucky to make it to the end of the year.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
toffee":8fkzu1aw said:
oldhawkfan":8fkzu1aw said:
Russ will play to his mid 40s and Pete will still be coaching in his early 80s.

That may not be a bad combo, Pete is full of energy and has shown no sign of slowing down.
I don't know what game you're watching, Carroll has looked worn down this year. Even during big plays he looks reserved, where as before he would be jumping up and down. Carroll also has been yelling at Bevell, Richard and Cable on the sidelines, he never has displayed that tendency before. I think this could possibly be his last year coaching.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Uhh what? Did you see how fired up he was during the Eagles game. Just check out the all access video for this week. Brock and Salk were talking about how Pete was rallying the crowd to get loud and how they don't think any other coach would do that. Especially one his age. Seems like a false narrative to me. I heard about him Yelling at Bevell but never saw it. Can you show us when he yelled at Richard and Cable?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm starting to believe that very few Seahawks fans actually know what Wilson said about injuries and the water.

Then again, with the way the media formulates their headlines and armed with the knowledge that few people actually read through whole articles for quotes and facts versus glancing at the headline and maybe the first paragraph...it shouldn't surprise me.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2j78bkvb said:
I guess I should revise my post; Playing past 40 is not feasible, considering only a select few have managed to do so-however, Brees is playing top notch at 38 and I don’t see him slowing down or getting worse. I see Russ having the same length of time. 1/2 inch of height be damned!

Brees is definitely getting worse. He has nowhere near the arm talent he had a few years ago.

He’ll be able to keep on going because of his pre-snap ability, quick post-snap diagnosis, and masterful ability to manipulate the rush from within the pocket, but the Saints didn’t turn into a run and dump team just by chance.

If Wilson wants to be effective into his late 30s he still needs to develop in the areas that allow Brees (and Brady) to be effective at that age.

As for Tarkenton, yeah, he played for a long time, but we’re talking an entirely different game at the QB position than when he was playing in the 60s and 70s.

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3gsvon2b said:
Seahwkgal":3gsvon2b said:

Brees is definitely getting worse. He has nowhere near the arm talent he had a few years ago.

He’ll be able to keep on going because of his pre-snap ability, quick post-snap diagnosis, and masterful ability to manipulate the rush from within the pocket, but the Saints didn’t turn into a run and dump team just by chance.

If Wilson wants to be effective into his late 30s he still needs to develop in the areas that allow Brees (and Brady) to be effective at that age.

As for Tarkenton, yeah, he played for a long time, but we’re talking an entirely different game at the QB position than when he was playing in the 60s and 70s.

You mean unprotected QB's, oh don't forget there was now warm home sweet Dome in Minnesota or in New York when he was Giant so he played in - temperatures and practiced in them his whole career. Making it and in fact many of the Old School QB's had a long career back then was a testament to their greatness and toughness. Billy Kilmer, Sonny Jurgensen, John Unitas, some others, I will give you the schedule difference however, only 8 games versus 16 now is a more brutal aspect on the body, but medical facilities then and advancement are not what the are today so maybe it's a wash on that. They played hurt where today a lot of guys sit. Could be why so many have the medical issues they have a later age as well also.