Win out and we are in the playoffs!

Welshers2

Reaction score
So there was a lotta back and forth in this thread. Does anyone know conclusively, IF the Hawks win out, are they in for sure?
If they win out probability calculators give them about a 99% chance of being in, but no, they won't be in for sure. If both the Rams and the Vikings win out and the Seahawks win out, the Seahawks would get bumped

Maulbert

Reaction score
I ran all kind of scenarios thru the Playoff machine. Bottomline, win out and we are in.
There was even a scenario where we can lose to Cardinals and still get in.
Nope. If we win out and the Rams and Vikings both win out, we're eliminated. But the Rams still have the 49ers, and the Vikings still have the Lions twice.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
**** off.
I respect @Spin Doctor but yeah. If we're winning the games, we deserve the berth. We're withstanding injuries to our starting QB and getting through it anyway.

They're not world-beaters, but if they get in by winning out, they damn well belong in the mix regardless of whether or not they're anything outside of a longshot bet to make a real splash.

Almost half the friggin' league makes the postseason now. It ain't just the elite anymore. It's a few juggernauts and then a bunch of frustrating, flawed teams with several demerits each.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
im conflicted in the same way. Only hope is that the success means those guys are actually improving as coordinators... or that Pete's heavier hand is what was needed to drive home the messaging.
The way I see it:
Losing doesn't guarantee you'll be better off or even give you better odds.

Winning more doesn’t guarantee you'll be worse off in the long run or even give you better odds of being worse off

So might as well win.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Why do some posters not allow fans to be critical? So weird. A win is a win but this season has shown holes in our squad, sadly.

Fandom can include being upset at your team when you feel they're expected to be great and underperform.
Expecting a team that isn't great, to be great, might be your problem?
You can expect a team that has proven to be great, to be great. You can't expect a team that hasn't proven it, to be it.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
For what seems like the last eight years, there's a chunk of people who are just mad at Carroll and can't enjoy anything without "change". There's another group that treat every season as some kind of abject failure if they don't win a Super Bowl, and spend the whole season lamenting that they aren't good enough to get there "even if they get in".

There are legitimate criticisms of the coaches and team every year. I don't think the question of moving on from Carroll is an unreasonable one, although I do think it is debatable.

But I also find it weird that there are fans of teams (ours isn't special in this regard) who simply cannot find any joy watching individual plays or games, no matter what is on the line. It's entertainment, it's supposed to be fun. We're not in existential combat with others where only one of 32 participants can survive. It's a championship of a season of a game.
I think some of those fans aren't being true to themselves. They'd be much happier if they just waited until about week 15 every season and adopted the team with the best chance to make the bowl. It's the only logical solution to their problem. It's gotta be a miserable existence if you're only satisfied if your team is one of the 2 or 3 in a season that actually look like they have a legit shot.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Ask yourself this, have we really had a shot at the Bowl since 2015? We were in the playoffs, but it was always a quick exit, many of the games not even close as the scores would have you believe.

Where I'm at is, this team has a lot of talent, but it really needs one more draft to solidify it as a legit contender. I think one of the big issues with Pete Carroll is he's great at putting bandaids on a ship that is treading water. A good example of this is Williams. If we get into the playoffs, it will be because of Williams and the plays he's made. Williams is without a doubt our best player on defense right now next to Witherspoon.

The issue with Williams is we have no long term goals with him. He isn't signed, he's starting to get up there in age. We've made a lot of these types of trades over the years for guys like Richardson and Clowney, or we signed a list of aging or mediocre FA's that were just eh to fill gaps that we should have addressed years ago. I'm looking at you D-Line and offensive line.

The team is also at a point where, yeah making the playoffs right now also might mean another year of Hurt and Shane Waldron. Both of these guys have proven that they're a liability.

I guess I'm just tired of the same story. Fringe playoff team that is bounced quickly, problems are glossed over because, hey we're a playoff team! Hell, before the playoffs were expanded we would have missed the playoffs last year and potentially this year. Close to half the teams get in. The Seahawks are starting to feel like groundhogs day. The same issues this team had could be used to describe many of the recent Seahawk teams.

I'm just frustrated is all. I feel like I have the football equivalent to blue balls with this team. Sorry for coming off negative, I'm just frustrated with this team.
It sounds like you're the perfect candidate to follow whoever has the best team every year

Scout

Reaction score
Last year's team was way ahead of schedule based on the retooling of the team due to the RW trade. I still feel the same way with this years team as this is only year 2 of the RW trade with the draft picks still as rooks. By next year this team may be hitting on all cylinders as the 2022 and 2023 draft picks will have NFL experience.

The Hawks are not the only team to do this as the Rams and Bucs are doing very similar things but with less cap space and draft resources.

I think another playoff game would be a valuable teaching tool for the younger players on the squad.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why do some posters not allow fans to be critical? So weird. A win is a win but this season has shown holes in our squad, sadly.

Fandom can include being upset at your team when you feel they're expected to be great and underperform.
Why do some fans have to shoot down every positive thing that other posters put on here?? And if you actually think I don't get upset, that's pretty hilarious. This team pi**es me off on a weekly basis.
It goes both ways. I'm not under any impression that this is a SB level team, not even close. But I'm certainly going to enjoy whatever ride we have in front of us.
Fan how you want, I couldn't give two sh**s. Funny how I can't call out people for being Debbie's, but it's ok for other's to completely crap on someone enjoy a win and/or the possibility of a playoff win. I THINK we all love the Hawks. We all just have our own outlook on things. Yet, we spend more time on here arguing over stupid sh** than just pulling for our team. This site used to be damn good. It's now doom and gloom central.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I ran all kind of scenarios thru the Playoff machine. Bottomline, win out and we are in.
There was even a scenario where we can lose to Cardinals and still get in.
Thanks for doing that, I was just thinking it's about time for the Playoff machine :)
But instead, I'll just get told I'm wrong. All to "fit my narrative"
I'm just passing on what I've heard on 3 different shows about them winning out guaranteeing them a playoff spot. IF it's not 100 percent right, so be it. I'm glad you were super excited to point out how "wrong" I was. What the hell happened to this site?
3rd grade continues.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
just so you're aware, you're wrong. Seattle has a great chance to get in if they win out, but no, they don't control their own destiny. If both Minnesota and the Rams also win out, Seattle would be out of the playoffs. Luckily this is very unlikely because the Vikings play Detroit twice, but stranger things have happened. The rams have a favorable schedule so them winning out isn't all that unlikely.

I don't think anyone was dooming or glooming they were just talking facts. But don't let the truth get in the way of your narrative.
Yes, they do. It was even talked about on 710. If they win out, they are in.

keasley45

Reaction score
The way I see it:
Losing doesn't guarantee you'll be better off or even give you better odds.

Winning more doesn’t guarantee you'll be worse off in the long run or even give you better odds of being worse off

So might as well win.
I don't disagree. I was responding to a post about whether it's a positive if we play reasonably well to finish the season and coordinators who we'd be better off shedding keep their jobs as a result.

Welshers2

Reaction score
Yes, they do. It was even talked about on 710. If they win out, they are in.
Go use a playoff machine. I've ran it through multiple machines with a ton of different scenarios. Maulbert is saying the same thing

There is one on espn and new York times. If the Seahawks win out they have a 99% probability to get in but it's not 100.

If the Seahawks win out but the vikings and Rams also win out, along with Detroit beating Dallas in Week 17, Seattle is out.

It's incredibly unlikely for that exact scenario to go down, but it is a mathematical and indisputable fact. If 710 said that they were wrong. I encourage you to go run some playoff sims yourself

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. I'm not trying to argue. But it sounds like you're arguing over 1 percent of a miracle shot that they wouldn't get in even if they win out.
I've heard it talked about on 3 shows. I'm just passing on what I've heard.

I have sinned, please forgive me. We clearly internet hate each other, can we at least agree on that?

Go Hawks

Welshers2

Reaction score
Fair enough. I'm not trying to argue. But it sounds like you're arguing over 1 percent of a miracle shot that they wouldn't get in even if they win out.
I've heard it talked about on 3 shows. I'm just passing on what I've heard.

I have sinned, please forgive me. We clearly internet hate each other, can we at least agree on that?

Go Hawks
Sorry if I was rude I just want people to know the actual facts behind the playoff race. I spent a ton of time researching it last night (which is more of an indictment on me than anything). But you're right, it's incredibly unlikely we don't get in if we win out. The fact that I wasted two hours of my time to find out about this 1% scenario is pretty sad when you think about it. Better things I should be doing.

Go Hawks!

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm approaching our Monday win with sort of a raised eyebrows approach. Yes, we got a solid win Monday, played great down the stretch, finally won a game we should have lost instead of losing one we should have won. We have the inside track to a playoff seed as our schedule gets a lot easier in our last 3 games.

But are we looking at fool's gold again? Is this just another mediocre Pete Carroll product? I've been tricked way too many times into thinking that we have a competitive team, so please excuse me if I have just one foot on the bandwagon.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sorry if I was rude I just want people to know the actual facts behind the playoff race. I spent a ton of time researching it last night (which is more of an indictment on me than anything). But you're right, it's incredibly unlikely we don't get in if we win out. The fact that I wasted two hours of my time to find out about this 1% scenario is pretty sad when you think about it. Better things I should be doing.

Go Hawks!
Nah, I'm glad you did it. And the way things have gone this season, that 1 percent could happen to this team :ROFLMAO:

I still stick to my opinion that the Rams loss (2nd one) changed the entire season. I'm still pissed about that one.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm approaching our Monday win with sort of a raised eyebrows approach. Yes, we got a solid win Monday, played great down the stretch, finally won a game we should have lost instead of losing one we should have won. We have the inside track to a playoff seed as our schedule gets a lot easier in our last 3 games.

But are we looking at fool's gold again? Is this just another mediocre Pete Carroll product? I've been tricked way too many times into thinking that we have a competitive team, so please excuse me if I have just one foot on the bandwagon.
Or you could just enjoy the ride? We have no control over it.

Someone needs to make up t-shirts that say "The Hawks won but........"

(I'm just messin with you)

Last edited: