Winning vs GB might be the only way to keep Wilson...

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
I think most of you missed the point of this thread.

What will be the Seahawk's chance to make the playoffs if they lose to Green Bay?

In that scenario I would estimate 8 wins.

Right now I predict the Vikings to go 9 wins...

If we both go 8 wins they make it we don't.

If you really believe Russell will be sticking with our team if we don't make the playoffs, in a year we are deliberately holding $13,000,000 of cap space to roll over into next season (assuming we don't sign OBJ)...

All signs point to Wilson will be gone next season or they would have invested in THIS season.

I think making a playoff run is the only way he reconsiders.

The only reason we are sitting on $13,000,000 is because there is a VERY real chance Wilson leaves the team and we have to absorb insane amounts of DEAD MONEY!

The only other guy we could reasonably cut (because he's not good) would be Jamal Adams (that would also be A LOT OF DEAD MONEY!)... but I think the coaches are committed to try to force his square hole into our circle defense.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Tokadub":3dda4adr said:

What will be the Seahawk's chance to make the playoffs if they lose to Green Bay?

In that scenario I would estimate 8 wins.

Right now I predict the Vikings to go 9 wins...

If we both go 8 wins they make it we don't.

If you really believe Russell will be sticking with our team if we don't make the playoffs, in a year we are deliberately holding $13,000,000 of cap space to roll over into next season (assuming we don't sign OBJ)...

All signs point to Wilson will be gone next season or they would have invested in THIS season.

I think making a playoff run is the only way he reconsiders.

The only reason we are sitting on $13,000,000 is because there is a VERY real chance Wilson leaves the team and we have to absorb insane amounts of DEAD MONEY!

The only other guy we could reasonably cut (because he's not good) would be Jamal Adams (that would also be A LOT OF DEAD MONEY!)... but I think the coaches are committed to try to force his square hole into our circle defense.

I think there’s a sweet spot somewhere between improbable and probable and you’re close to one end but not as much as others seem to think. Many people aren’t giving your post the credibility it deserves because no matter what the ink says Russell holds all the leverage and has enough money to not care about using it fully to his advantage.

That being said i don’t see this season and especially not this game as the break point.

For starters, his injury would factor in so Pete could easily sell him on a full healthy season and at least one more year with SW. Let alone Carson has been out for some time, and Bobby is prob on the clock for retirement in our near term but HoFs playing together matters and I’m fairly certain Bobby will be good next year. So nothing adds up to tell me this is the ride or die year whatsoever. There’s a reason franchise QBs don’t switch markets routinely and although you have a rather poignant take, it’s just not happening.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tokadub":33zbkc8y said:

Of course this game is important as far as the margin for error with getting to 8-9 wins and maybe grabbing a playoff birth.

But it's ridiculous to think winning one mid season game is the deciding factor as to whether Russell stays or not.

Dude has two years left on his contract, and can be franchised for two more years if he wants to play hardball with ownership.

This team has already underachieved in Russell's mind since the SB years, getting routinely bounced in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs perennially with a coach stuck in the dark ages..........so barely sneaking into the playoffs, or barely missing the playoffs will have no bearing on what Russell decides to do in the off season.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
The Green Bay game is pivotal for sure which is why we're gonna pack their fudge. Again, not sure how many times I have to reiterate this but Seattle holds all the chips regarding Wilson's future.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Tokadub":wr03jt8e said:

Nope, not at all.

I've seen lots of posts and stuff on other places where fans just keep insisting, for multiple years, that Wilson is going to be gone because of whatever. Mostly because they're unhappy with Carroll and projecting that emotion onto Wilson's situation. These posters have their "analytical" reasons but it's just 100% garbage. Maybe you'll get lucky and you'll be right.

We don't know what's going on with Wilson, Carroll or any of that. We do know that QBs of Wilson's caliber, even at his current age, so rarely leave their teams because of the scarcity of the talent, the potential for injury interfering with future earnings waiting to hit free agency, and the willingness of teams to break the bank for the position that will murder you if you don't have someone great in it.

It's possible that Wilson would rather hit free agency or the team would want to move on, but it's not likely at all. Just because fans are mad that they haven't made an NFC title game in awhile and want to burn everything down doesn't mean Wilson, Carroll, Schneider, or the Seahawks organization do.

I guess if you throw enough of these things against the wall one of them will stick and you can play the prophet.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The reality is that Wilson was a fool for signing a new contract with the Seahawks in the first place.

It was incredibly dumb.

He had a chance to hit a big media market or to find a flush roster with good coach that would make him a serious contender.

But there are many reasons people don't want to move, and inertia is a difficult force to overcome.

Still, he is very concerned about his legacy, so I wouldn't count it out in the near future.

It makes no sense for him to want to continue under an aging coach with little promise that is rapidly declining in any kind of value/effectiveness. But it made no sense for him to sign again with Seattle in the first place and he did that then.

kf3339

Reaction score
I don't think it matters what happens on Sunday, or the rest of this season. RW is gone. He will force his way off this team and I don't blame him at all. The fault lies with the so called ownership of this team who made the completely stupid decision to give PC and JS new contract extensions.

Both should have been let go several years ago and new team management who actually know how to evaluate talent both in the draft, trade options and FA. Both guys are too ego driven to see the mess they have created with only RW savings their bu##s these last few years. RW needs to go for his own good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1lxix18o said:
The reality is that Wilson was a fool for signing a new contract with the Seahawks in the first place.

It was incredibly dumb.

He had a chance to hit a big media market or to find a flush roster with good coach that would make him a serious contender.

But there are many reasons people don't want to move, and inertia is a difficult force to overcome.

Still, he is very concerned about his legacy, so I wouldn't count it out in the near future.

It makes no sense for him to want to continue under an aging coach with little promise that is rapidly declining in any kind of value/effectiveness. But it made no sense for him to sign again with Seattle in the first place and he did that then.

It's a trade off for a player, especially a franchise player like Russ.

Security of a long term contract with your long time team + highest paid player in the NFL = hard to turn down vs. a messy divorce of being franchised, risking injury without long term guaranteed money, etc.

When's the last time a franchise QB in his prime didn't sign an extension?

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Then again Jody Allen might just say screw it and clean house like she's doing with the trail blazers. Start with a clean slate of picks after moving on from Pete C and John Schneider and trading Wilson if that's what she really wants to do. Wilson goes where Pete tells him to go for now anyways.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2t5za94y said:
Amazing!!!!!

Wilson's entire career in Seattle comes down to beating 1 team in 1 game in a year they have a losing record. :roll:

I suggest to put down the bong and the Ding-Dongs.

Okay, I'll put down the Bong, but don't ask me to put down the ding-dong's :lol:

John63

Reaction score
SlickRick":24dujc8x said:
"Black Haired guy go by chief? Black haired guy go in the water, shark in the water."
"29 Kids go into the water, 22 Kids come out of the water. The Ice Cream Man, He gets the rest. April the 9th, Half past four P.M."
"Have you seen a sharks eyes chief? Their kinda like dolls eyes, all black and lifeless like."

Like the majority of the forum is saying, Wilson gets what Wilson wants & if he wants out..... He"ll get out. Contracts don't mean much anymore in the NFl with people leaving early with years left on their contracts. One big joke I'll tell ya.

The thing I find interesting is how some here think what Wilson wants he gets. he has been wanting an oline for 10 years still, no online. He wanted input into the problems last year he was laughed out of the room. He does not get what he wants and perhaps that si the problem.

toffee

Reaction score
To make playoff, we need to win 7 or at least 6 of the remains 9 games. That makes every game a must win. To win 6 or 7 out of 9 is unlikely, not with 2 cardinal games, 1 ram and this GB game.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk