Witherspoon Signed 31.86m

pmedic920

Reaction score
I got an issue with the hold out. I think it was a selfish act and mark my words we will see selfishness from spoon in the future.
You may be correct about the future but my opinion of what happened is that the agency/agent was being greedy (if not for this go round for the next) and Spoon probably just went along for the ride. I suspect he was told this was in his best interest, and having zero experience he complied.

Hell, he’s probably been coached/groomed for this exact scenario for a couple/few years.

Fact is, many of these kids are seen as a “cash cow” by many folks aside from their agents.

I believe in my heart (without evidence) that he would have rather been with his team than playing the game it was.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Just a bump in the road, business finished, time to go to work. Not ready to compare him to Mike Haynes or Mel Blount but I expect big things from Witherspoon. He will be tested early & often, I see rookie success & impact as long as his body holds up and the PI flags are minimized.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Good that they got it done. Considering most of the picks before him got the entire bonus up front, I'd say he had something worth holding out a couple days for. This is 20 mil we're talking about in a league where it's extremely common for your career (and hope of earning any more money) to end instantly due to catastrophic injury.
Until someone comes out and explains what exactly the "holdout" was about, we're just trying to fill in the gaps with informed speculation. But even if he were to have a career-ending injury early in his career, it wouldn't make any difference in how much total compensation he would get for this contract. If the distribution of the signing bonus is what it was actually about, it wouldn't matter if or when he's injured, he's still getting the entire bonus.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
What a waste of energy, getting all hot and bothered over 2 days. Go touch grass.
Don't like what I'm sayin', just IGNORE, why be an ass about it?
Do you know the meaning of the word O-P-I-N-I-O-N??

BigMeach

Reaction score
This is so overblown. Negotiations are a part of business. DO not kid yourselves, this is a business first industry. There is nothing wrong with the agent/player trying to get more of the money up front as much as there is nothing wrong with the team trying to spread it out over the contract. It's not selfish at all. That's such an insane take to me, to call someone selfish for trying to protect themselves and their family financially.

The kids here, the negotiations ended, everyone's happy.

Sometimes I really hate the offseason....

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
honestly a very minor thing to concede for the organization

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Just a bump in the road, business finished, time to go to work. Not ready to compare him to Mike Haynes or Mel Blount but I expect big things from Witherspoon. He will be tested early & often, I see rookie success & impact as long as his body holds up and the PI flags are minimized.
Wasn’t even a bump. More like some loose change on the street that no one in the car even felt but a number of crotchety types wailed about being a sign of the next Jamarcus Russel. So bizarre.