World Cup 2014

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2dk071ek said:
Here's my thing on Brazil (and why I was glad what happened to them did, on their home soil)

for decades the football world has hoisted Brazilian soccer as the epitome of flair and beauty. Its Pele, Garrincha, Ronaldo, Ronaldhino, etc. Its samba dancing and bright colors and drums...

its all sh--. Brazilian football, for decades, has been a ruthless, dirty, street brawl, targeting the teams best player with tenacity and willingness to maim or injure. they hit you, kick you, punch you... basically "press" the other team physically until the ball is bloodily given away.

Then "Brazilian" soccer takes over. The ball goes to Ronaldo, Pele, Ronaldhino, Kaka (but mostly true #9s) these beautiful artists of the game who score amazing goals. Dont get me wrong, there is no shortage of talent in the history of Brazilian soccer. We know them by their singular name. But we've coated over the nastiness of their program. They fouled James Rodriguez 27 times in the quarters. one player, 27 times. 17 were called, a handful were advantage plays. the rest were unseen or uncalled. They target, they attack, they brutalize. They've been doing it for decades. They've done it to Messi, Xavi and Iniesta, Suarez, and years past they did it to the Italians in '94 after damn near decapitating Claudio Reyna in the round of 16. They cheap shot and red carded their way to the 2002 title. Hell, only Zidane and the French handled the Brazilian "press" (in 98 and 06)

Last night, they tried the same approach. In the first 10 minutes they ran at Germany. They challenged Germany. They hit Germany. But the Germans shrugged it off. Once the first goal was scored, the Brazilians didnt know how to respond. They couldnt physically intimidate them, and they didnt have the skill to outclass them. There was no Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, to help them. Instead they had Fred...

Germany was more physical, better disciplined, more intelligent tactically. But where Germany is really special is despite being better in those things, they are also far more skilled, creative and technical players. It turned into one of the most (hell, its the MOST, no hyperbole here) remarkable defeats in World cup history. The Brazilans blinked within 10 minutes. The Germans saw it, and it was on.

So f--- Brazil. Honestly. They've been a farce for decades. They deserved 7-1. they deserved it in front of their home fans.

OMG, I thought I was the only one who knew...

Thank god.

The Delf

Reaction score
Obviously, I'm saying it's going to be a 2:1 in our boys favor. :) If they can maintain their way to play, an Argentina like this shouldn't be a big problem for us. :th2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":dpida4rw said:
Uncle Si":dpida4rw said:
You complete me Smurf
you and me are best friends.

Until August....

here's another list of exciting young players that will feature in the USMNT by 2016. (note... the ages listed for the player is how old they will be in 2018)

http://screamer.deadspin.com/ten-yo...he-usmnt-at-the-2018-1601310120/+billyhaisley

by the way, Deadspin has done a fantastic job with their soccer coverage. I hope it lasts into the PL season

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1m9belpi said:
Smurf":1m9belpi said:
Uncle Si":1m9belpi said:
You complete me Smurf
you and me are best friends.

Until August....

here's another list of exciting young players that will feature in the USMNT by 2016. (note... the ages listed for the player is how old they will be in 2018)

http://screamer.deadspin.com/ten-yo...he-usmnt-at-the-2018-1601310120/+billyhaisley

by the way, Deadspin has done a fantastic job with their soccer coverage. I hope it lasts into the PL season

You are one DeAndre Yedlin signing away from not having to worry about that.

Some good young players on that list.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It seems that the lashing that Brazil experienced from Germany was still in effect today. They never recovered from that and got thrashed again. This time by Netherlands.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Everything logical says Germany win today...but football isn't always a logical game. Ill take Argentina 2-1. This is Messi's biggest moment. His brilliance will be the difference.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
There have been a few missed chances in the first half. And FIFA really needs to install a formal concussion protocol.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I don't see any way Russia '18 can live up to this year's tournament. The time difference alone is going to make it a bitch to follow in the US. Oh well, next up is the 2015 Gold Cup.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3q57ftbe said:
I don't see any way Russia '18 can live up to this year's tournament. The time difference alone is going to make it a bitch to follow in the US.
Our European Seahawks fan brethren probably have some choice words for you. ;)

The Delf

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2skveuok said:
SeatownJay":2skveuok said:
I don't see any way Russia '18 can live up to this year's tournament. The time difference alone is going to make it a bitch to follow in the US.
Our European Seahawks fan brethren probably have some choice words for you. ;)

Briefly... ;) We totaly love the +9 hours (@GMT+1) for each NFL game, pushing them to 11 pm to 3 am for us. :mrgreen: :th2thumbs:

Go Hawks !

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Gotta say, I was pretty surprised at how well I picked this tournament.

1150164_10202632333944709_6594401809246346116_n.jpg