Wow what a weird draft!!! POLL

Wow what a wierd draft!!!! Whats your grade?

• A

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • B

Votes: 50 54.3%
  • C

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • D

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • F

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":13rlc3x9 said:
MizzouHawkGal":13rlc3x9 said:
Hawkfan77":13rlc3x9 said:
Seahawk Sailor":13rlc3x9 said:
I can hardly wait for next year's draft now. I kind of want to see them trade that first rounder away for a ton of mid-rounders. Do it right, and we can start pushing picks into future years, which would be awesome.
Plus all the compensatory picks we are going to get for next year.

Rich are gonna get richer!
Especially when we keep drafting at #32 for 4 straight years. :th2thumbs:
Only 4?!

She is just being realistic about it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3tcvhslv said:
MizzouHawkGal":3tcvhslv said:
Hawkfan77":3tcvhslv said:
Seahawk Sailor":3tcvhslv said:
I can hardly wait for next year's draft now. I kind of want to see them trade that first rounder away for a ton of mid-rounders. Do it right, and we can start pushing picks into future years, which would be awesome.
Plus all the compensatory picks we are going to get for next year.

Rich are gonna get richer!
Especially when we keep drafting at #32 for 4 straight years. :th2thumbs:
Only 4?!
In a row..... it's the anti-Buffalo. I figure 6 before Wilson is done as a Seahawk. :)

captSE

Reaction score
Well, could be the draftee's are the luckiest sob's in the nfl.......eh?
Welcome to the standard of excellence.
:thirishdrinkers:

Giblien

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":yngne5ak said:
LOL.. They started the day with 6 picks, ended up with 9 and ended up picking 6 players between the 2nd and 5th rounds. Those are Seahawk rounds.

I had the EXACT same thought. The fact that this FO, started with six and ended with nine, just goes to show you how much value they put on the middle rounds, something they have been VERY successful with.

Mick063

Reaction score
In a joint press conference, JS mentioned the term "redshirt" and described how this is the new "norm" now that the cupboard isn't bare.

They truly run this like USC. They expect attrition at four year increments (the rookie contracts coincidently align with college tenure in years). They have a pipeline of projects based upon specific attributes unique to position, destined to be "coached up" for a season, and thrust into the starting lineup their second year as players ahead of them are gobbled up in free agency. The Seahawks will soon float in a sea of compensatory picks, year after year, where their late round magic can really shine.

The "doctrine" is becoming increasingly easy to understand. No doubt, they will miss on players, but every draft class will provide 2-3 high end starters, many of which will eventually provide compensatory picks. Meanwhile, they stay relatively young and keep the salary structure manageable (rookie contracts).

This is how you build dynasties in the modern era. You handle the personnel similar to how a top major college program will. You prepare for attrition and replenishment in four year increments, "redshirt" players, and "recruit" young free agents.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I thought the same at first w/ a "wtf" moment after each pick but I have learned to not try to second guess our FO and find the draft much more enjoyable to just watch the JS Magic Show. Then I go look up info and watch what vids I can find on the picks and the all make perfect sense to me for what our FO wants at each position on OUR team.

We got 2 WR's, one decent sized (6ft) w/ exceptional speed to take the top off the D. Our FO is always looking for the speed. The other has the size we keep looking for to get those redzone jump balls. We have heard PC express this desire and seen some attempts to acquire some in the past but this year seems to be the year of focus on that particular type WR. I call this the shotgun approach they have used at other positions to find the gems.

We got 2 OT's that both seem to be able to move well for their size and can play multiple positions along the line. These 2 traits seem to be very important to our FO w/ Carp being the exception. I think they were trying something different w/ that experiment looking for a power road grader. I think he will actually take a huge step forward w/ a full offseason without injuries.

We got a DE in the image of a LEO type and a DT w/ great speed for size in image of Red Bryant type 5 tech but could add weight if needed to backup Meebs.

Of course we added another "long fast" DB that could backup Kam Bam or even develop as another great corner for the LOB.

Kiero Small at FB is, well, competition at FB. All I can say is watching vid on the guy he seems to love the hitting and blocks well. The wrecking ball analogy fits very well. Besides, how could a FB w/ the name of Small not have that chip on his shoulder this FO loves their guys to have.

All in all, after checking these guys out, I really love this draft and am excited to see who develops. They all seem to fit exactly what our FO is looking for. :th2thumbs:

sutz

Reaction score
OK, I'm not a draft guru and can't comment a lot on idividual players, but this draft went pretty much to my expectations. Hey we knew we were drafting last, so all of the "marquee" players were out of reach almost by definition. They were never going to do a Ditka and trade everything for one or two players. That's just not how they roll. Besides, we're not "one player away" from the promised land. We're there and working to defend our trophy from the infidels trying to take it away from us. This was a draft for 1-2 years down the road.

Trading back did not surprise me at all. I actually love how they turned 6 picks into 9 players. Like I said, I can't evaluate them individually, but from what I have read, it is an intriguing group. Hey, we went into the draft as one of the top SB contenders after most of FA is done, and we just added depth almost across the board. And by depth, I mean players for current depth and as developmental projects for the future. At the very least, virtually every position group has added depth/competition, even at QB.

We have 9 draft picks and 9 UDFA who will have to work their butts off to win a roster spot on the best team in football. Best of luck to them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OrFan":1v0bg7nv said:
I like this draft! The strange one to me is bowling ball, Small.

He not only should be a special teams dynamo, but I think Pete and John like that he's a short battering ram that can get to the hole quickly as a lead blocker, but will have amazing leverage against all the super long LB's in our division.

If it hasn't been obvious the first four years, it should be crystal clear to anyone paying attention to what traits the Hawks love in draftees...............mean, tough, fast, tenacity and have overcome adversity sometime in their lives. Far more than the standard measurables.

AgentDib

Reaction score
OrFan":1imrug9a said:
FWIW, Derrick Brooks was talking about difficult backs to play against and said that the shorter backs gave him the most problems; they were harder to see behind the line and had a lower center of gravity. I think that same logic would apply to FBs.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think grading this draft is way too premature but I like a lot of the guys they drafted/signed as UDFA. Going to be a fun camp with some tough cuts yet again

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I can't grade the draft until years from now, but I love it right now, especially the picks at WR. Richardson and Norwood added to Harvin/Baldwin/Kearse and one of Rice or Matthews is going to be deadly out there. We absolutely improved our passing game.

People are worried about the guard play on this team, and I'm not, so I am not too concerned about the picks on the OL. If Britt ends up as our right tackle, that means Bowie probably slides inside, and he was playing much better at the end of last year. If Bowie wins, Britt comes inside, I would guess. Plus, Bailey looked decent at LT in limited play and will be the backup there if/when Okung goes out.

I am also happy that we have another pass rusher with potential for when Avril leaves next year. In fact, the only thing I wish we could have done more of is get more pass rushers. I'd love to have Easley and Richardson instead of Richardson and Britt, obviously, but what can you do? Belicheck knows defense about as well as Carroll does. Kudos to him for getting Easley first.

jake206

Reaction score
Its definitely not without drama. I think the 4th round for PC/JS will be the saving grace of this entire draft. Marsh, Norwood and JPL have quality written all over them. UFA Jeffcoat might also be added to that grouping as well.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I don't really see the potential for any of our guys to start this year besides Britt, and that's simply because of our lack of talent on the OL. This draft was definitely about depth and I feel like we probably did improve at least our depth at WR and OT.

I am disappointed that we didn't address guard. Carp and Sweezey were the two worst starters on either side of the ball, and nothing was done to address that.

Pete stresses competition and yet Carp and Sweezey will both be handed a starting spot without competition.

The offensive line is the worst unit on our team, and it also happens to be the area where Pete has not followed his own mantra to always compete.

Newsflash! Sweezey and Carp suck and were the main reasons Wilson had to run for his life.

Sweezey must have some heavy blackmail material because there might only be 2 or 3 teams with a bad enough offensive line (and OL coach) where he could start.

Its almost like they would rather fail with Sweezy than succeed with an actual nfl-quality guard. I don't get it. Its a fail on cable and pete and john.

King Dog

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3kdg62ab said:
I don't really see the potential for any of our guys to start this year besides Britt, and that's simply because of our lack of talent on the OL. This draft was definitely about depth and I feel like we probably did improve at least our depth at WR and OT.

I am disappointed that we didn't address guard. Carp and Sweezey were the two worst starters on either side of the ball, and nothing was done to address that.

Pete stresses competition and yet Carp and Sweezey will both be handed a starting spot without competition.

The offensive line is the worst unit on our team, and it also happens to be the area where Pete has not followed his own mantra to always compete.

Newsflash! Sweezey and Carp suck and were the main reasons Wilson had to run for his life.

Sweezey must have some heavy blackmail material because there might only be 2 or 3 teams with a bad enough offensive line (and OL coach) where he could start.

Its almost like they would rather fail with Sweezy than succeed with an actual nfl-quality guard. I don't get it. Its a fail on cable and pete and john.
AL1FiYk

scutterhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":2flzxbzc said:
OrFan":2flzxbzc said:
FWIW, Derrick Brooks was talking about difficult backs to play against and said that the shorter backs gave him the most problems; they were harder to see behind the line and had a lower center of gravity. I think that same logic would apply to FBs.
Can you imagine being trucked by a squat 5'-8", 247lb cannon ball, and then having that followed up with Beastmode?
That could very well be THE winning formula for those 3rd and short, or Goal Line punch you in the mouth plays :thfight7:

chris98251

Reaction score
66 Smith, Jared G 6-4 302 24 2 New Hampshire
64 Sweezy, J.R. G 6-5 298 25 3 North Carolina State
62 Van Roten, Greg G 6-3 303 24 3 Pennsylvania
61 Jeanpierre, Lemuel G/C 6-3 301 26 5 South Carolina

73 Bowie, Michael OT 6-4 332 22 2 Oklahoma State
74 Hauptmann, Caylin OT 6-3 300 22 2 Florida International

78 Bailey, Alvin T 6-3 320 22 2 Arkansas
Britt, Justin T 6-6 325 R Missouri
Gilliam, Gary T 6-6 303 23 R Penn State
Irwin, Bronson T 6-5 314 22 R Oklahoma
76 Okung, Russell T 6-5 310 26 5 Oklahoma State
Scott, Garrett T 6-4 307 22 R Marshall

60 Unger, Max C 6-5 305 28 6 Oregon

Those are the O linemen we know they play multiple positions so take what we have and look, we have competition.

sam1313

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3o01zgfc said:

Your kidding, right? Both tackles they drafted could play guard so there will definitely be competition. That said, Sweezy was actually above average last year and he will be better this year.. Unger pretty much sucked once he got hurt and our LG was pretty bad all year, but Sweezy was not our biggest problem.