Wyman’s Football 101: Defending Seahawks DE Clowney’s hit

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wyman said on the roundtable earlier that he measured the distance from his shoulder, to his head. 8 inches. What he didn't mention was that it's even shorter when you take in to account the helmets.

I'd say at the minimum, 2 inches off of that 8, or a 6 inch difference between helmet contact, and no helmet contact. This is for a guy that is 6'5" and 265 pounds, moving at full speed. Then take in to account the unpredictable movement of the runner.

Good for Wyman for making this the topic of today's Football 101

Wyman’s Football 101: Defending Seahawks DE Clowney’s hit vs Eagles

[youtube]UL8gXzXi2fI[/youtube]

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/746338/f ... ks-eagles/

irfuben32

Reaction score
I would love to see a montage of all the helmet to helmet hits Russell took this year WHILE GIVING HIMSELF UP or shortly after throwing a pass.

Wentz was NOT giving himself up he was a runner

HawkGA

Reaction score
Wow. I didn't watch the game live. I didn't realize Carson was in the game for so long after the hit. I did think it was weird they never seemed to say he was out with a concussion, but rather kept saying "head injury".

rcaido

Reaction score
Anybody know where i can watch the full game. my DVR seem to not have picked it up. I want to see the 5 plays w/Wentz, someone mention he got hit pretty hard w/ Ansah in one of the plays.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't know about full game, but there are usually pretty complete shortened versions of the game on youtube where they cut out all the crap and just focus on the plays. They do skip some plays though. I watched this. Going back over it now to see if it shows the plays after the hit.

[youtube]VILnSSsH6Ac[/youtube]

HawkGA

Reaction score
Doesn't look like it does. The next set of offensive plays after the hit look look like Doug is in.

HawkGA

Reaction score
This one has it.

[youtube]qbASxB6CjMU[/youtube]

rcaido

Reaction score
Thanks,

If you guys look at the 3rd & 10...Looks like Wentz got hit hard by Seahawk, its possible that was what cause the concuss...Wentz look fine in those 5 plays.

bdawk20

Reaction score
Wanted to see what Seahawks fans thought of the hit band was surprised you guys keep implying Clowney is not a dirty player. He has a long history of fines for roughing and year after year leads the league in penalties at his position. Also if this happened to Wilson I would feel the same way. It was a late hit and forecable helmet to helmet contact.

Guy routinely tries to hurt people and it's dissaponting no one has bothered to look into it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eagles/comment ... ntent=PSR1

Looking at Clowney's penalty history, he's led all outside linebackers in penalties in 2019

And in 2018

And in 2017

And was tied for 3rd in 2016

Clowney has been fined at least 5 times for roughing the passer.

Oct 2016 – $10,000 (vs Vikings)

Jan 2017 – $18,231 (vs Patriots)

Dec 2018 – $20,054 (vs Jets)

Dec 2018 – $40,110 (vs Eagles)

Oct 2019 – $21,056 (vs Browns)

bdawk20

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":313pg3d0 said:
Wyman is by far my favorite. No sugar coating on anything. "IT'S NOT THE MATRIX"

Classic

Clowney is Burfict with better pr. One of the dirtiest players in the league. But he acts like the guy deserves the benefit of the doubt. Let me ask you this, did clowney even put his arms out on that hit? Let me list all the defensive football plays that don't involve using your arms. Spearing. Targeting.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Give it a rest man, you just sound bitter. Got outplayed AGAIN in your own house. Enjoy the offseason.
You're in a Hawks board and just can't let it go. Weak sauce.
Maybe you and Clipped (if you're separate people) can hug it out.

cymatica

Reaction score
bdawk20":1qr8kukl said:
Wanted to see what Seahawks fans thought of the hit band was surprised you guys keep implying Clowney is not a dirty player. He has a long history of fines for roughing and year after year leads the league in penalties at his position. Also if this happened to Wilson I would feel the same way. It was a late hit and forecable helmet to helmet contact.

Guy routinely tries to hurt people and it's dissaponting no one has bothered to look into it.

Looking at Clowney's penalty history, he's led all outside linebackers in penalties in 2019

And in 2018

And in 2017

And was tied for 3rd in 2016

Clowney has been fined at least 5 times for roughing the passer.

Oct 2016 – $10,000 (vs Vikings)

Jan 2017 – $18,231 (vs Patriots)

Dec 2018 – $20,054 (vs Jets)

Dec 2018 – $40,110 (vs Eagles)

Oct 2019 – $21,056 (vs Browns)

Stanley

Reaction score
LOL at the premise of this nonsense.

Clowney actively and unnecessarily went out of his way to position his shoulder and helmet to deliver and excessive blow to the back of an already falling Wentz.

Is Clowney a dirty player? In this play he definitely was.

“Inches of the thickness of a helmet” lol this guy is desperate.

It’s amazing you guys can extrapolate this yet can’t see that Hollister initiated contact with Warner. Hollister is no Kittle

Mad Dog

Reaction score
bdawk20":1af395eu said:
SoulfishHawk":1af395eu said:
Wyman is by far my favorite. No sugar coating on anything. "IT'S NOT THE MATRIX"

Classic

Clowney is Burfict with better pr. One of the dirtiest players in the league. But he acts like the guy deserves the benefit of the doubt. Let me ask you this, did clowney even put his arms out on that hit? Let me list all the defensive football plays that don't involve using your arms. Spearing. Targeting.

You do know Lane Johnson is the 3rd most fined player in NFL history with over $4 million in fines to date.
Mostly for PEDs but cheating is cheating and just as dirty as taking an extra shot here and there.

Let he who is without sin throw the first stone. I doubt there are many pass rushers that don't have a couple fines every year for roughing the passer. It's hard on defenses these days to stay clean when as Dave Wyman says, "The head is only 8-10 inches away from the shoulder." NFL has no sense of physics and anatomy. Just have a sense for lawyers and medicolegal claims.