Your best realistic first round

CactusJack

Reaction score
Fautanu will be there at 16 I bet. you have Alt, Fashanu, Latham and Fuaga ranked ahead of him. if the early draft is QB heavy you will have a nice pic of Killer o line and D line talent waiting there at 16.
He'll get taken before Fashanu.

CPHawk

Reaction score
He'll get taken before Fashanu.
Why? Pop on the film of him vs Burch before Burch got hurt. He didn’t dominate him, it was the other way around. Granted I belive Burch will be the best DE vs the run in college next year, but to be a top 20 pick he has to win those type of battles. Not sold on Troy F at all. I think he’s going to have issue with NfL DL.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Heres a "what if" scenario for you.

Lets say we really wanted a couple of second round selection, The Commander have two. Trading DK for the two second round selections and taking Thomas at 16 ?

Intrigued ?

CactusJack

Reaction score
Why? Pop on the film of him vs Burch before Burch got hurt. He didn’t dominate him, it was the other way around. Granted I belive Burch will be the best DE vs the run in college next year, but to be a top 20 pick he has to win those type of battles. Not sold on Troy F at all. I think he’s going to have issue with NfL DL.
Teams are higher on Fautanu. He's going to be picked earlier than people think.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Heres a "what if" scenario for you.

Lets say we really wanted a couple of second round selection, The Commander have two. Trading DK for the two second round selections and taking Thomas at 16 ?

Intrigued ?

I wouldn't trade him. He's still only 26. Lockett is winding down his career leaving just Smith-Njigba in a season or two then you're right back to looking for another top level receiver.

Not to mention, we've got to at least see one season to see how Ryan Grubb uses our riches of skill players.

GemCity

Reaction score
I get the whole QB thing..,it’s an exciting thought and at some point, you have to pull the trigger. Imo, this is going to be a good-great QB class.

My biggest issue is that in this particular draft, we may only have the opportunity to draft the 5th or lower rated QB at 16 unless we trade up.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s guys that have been rated low and have become HOFers.

I don’t see it happening. Never zero chance but, it seems to be a low probability for sure.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Can’t wait to see how this plays out honestly. If Verse, Latu or Newton are on the board, and they probably will be. it’s going to be hard to justify trading down.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I get the whole QB thing..,it’s an exciting thought and at some point, you have to pull the trigger. Imo, this is going to be a good-great QB class.

My biggest issue is that in this particular draft, we may only have the opportunity to draft the 5th or lower rated QB at 16 unless we trade up.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s guys that have been rated low and have become HOFers.

I don’t see it happening. Never zero chance but, it seems to be a low probability for sure.
Given how hard it is to accurately predict which of the first round QBs will succeed when we know that 50% will fail, don’t you think there is an arrogance in think you can accurately order 6 college QBs? You have to take a risk with what’s there unless you are Ryan Poles.

GemCity

Reaction score
Given how hard it is to accurately predict which of the first round QBs will succeed when we know that 50% will fail, don’t you think there is an arrogance in think you can accurately order 6 college QBs? You have to take a risk with what’s there unless you are Ryan Poles.
I don’t necessarily think it’s arrogance. It’s risk.

At some point, you certainly need to take that chance. I just don’t see it being our first round pick.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily think it’s arrogance. It’s risk.

At some point, you certainly need to take that chance. I just don’t see it being our first round pick.
The odds are 50% in first round and MUCH worse in later rounds. The arrogance is in thinking you’re sure #5 won’t be as good as #3. That’s why I would put my bet on Nix.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
My guess of what JS does, he's targeting Fautanu or Murphy first, then the next group of IOL, DL, then edge. Maybe 12 players he sticks and picks, otherwise, he tries to move back. We need a LG who can start day 1. We need LB's, and a FS. The wild card is QB. Does JS love one?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
My guess of what JS does, he's targeting Fautanu or Murphy first, then the next group of IOL, DL, then edge. Maybe 12 players he sticks and picks, otherwise, he tries to move back. We need a LG who can start day 1. We need LB's, and a FS. The wild card is QB. Does JS love one?
They hedged LG with Laken Tomlinson. I would imagine they're comfortable plugging him in and don't see LG as the preeminent immediate need.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Interesting that risk is unacceptable with the most important position in football, but seemingly fine for other positions. Hmmm...

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Interesting that risk is unacceptable with the most important position in football, but seemingly fine for other positions. Hmmm...

View attachment 65923
It’s even worse than that. The most important position in footfall is also the most risky. Solution: tank the roster, get in top-5 of draft, draft a QB with little support around him (Panthers).

Do these guys realize that the Howell train could fly off the tracks next year? There is a lot of risk embedded there.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I
It’s even worse than that. The most important position in footfall is also the most risky. Solution: tank the roster, get in top-5 of draft, draft a QB with little support around him (Panthers).

Do these guys realize that the Howell train could fly off the tracks next year? There is a lot of risk embedded there.
Wonder if they will give MM that long of a leash. The 2026 draft is two years away. Will be interesting to see what happens for sure.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I

Wonder if they will give MM that long of a leash. The 2026 draft is two years away. Will be interesting to see what happens for sure.
Well, Geno contract runs out in 2025. He will be age 35 with $38.5M cap hit and $13.5M dead cap. If I were MM, I would draft Nix in 2024 and give him one full season to develop before taking over the job in 2026. That seems a lot less risky than the Howell train.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing why a team above us that needs a qb would pass on Nix or Penix though. Otherwise, yes, something like that would be ideal.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing why a team above us that needs a qb would pass on Nix or Penix though.
Denver at #12 is definitely possible. That’s why I want to trade up to #9, but people here tell me I’m a Bears homer even to think of it.