Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Peterson resigns

Discuss your thoughts about anything College Football or NFL draft. Recruiting, Projections, and Mock drafts, Etc. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Chris Peterson resigns
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:01 pm

Re: Chris Peterson resigns
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:20 pm
  • :shock:
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:22 pm

• Wonder which way they will go...
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:23 pm
  • Just heard this. My reaction is the same as DJrmb's. Wow, just wow. My second thought was "USC". He fits what the new university President wants, a quality human being that doesn't overlook his asst. coach physically abusing his wife like good ol' Urbs and he's a proven winner. Man if he goes there Dawg hardcore fans (looking at you Dome) gonna be freakin' pissed!

I dunno maybe it's just a case of him being bored with beating Mike Leach like a drum every November. :sarcasm_off:
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Just heard this. My reaction is the same as DJrmb's. Wow, just wow. My second thought was "USC". He fits what the new university President wants, a quality human being that doesn't overlook his asst. coach physically abusing his wife like good ol' Urbs and he's a proven winner. Man if he goes there Dawg hardcore fans (looking at you Dome) gonna be freakin' pissed!

Lol, not even, this is life, people have opportunities and they move on. Change is inevitable and even good.

Can you say Jimmy Lake?

I can.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/coll ... 876090.php
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:59 pm

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:41 pm
  • Much respect and gratitude for everything Chris Petersen has done for the University of Washington. He is a shining example of integrity in the rapidly declining culture that is college football today.

And, I am not just trying to spin this development. From where I sit right now I think Jimmy Lake is an upgrade and I can tell you unequivocally that a lot of people, including the players themselves, are psyched about this turn off events.

As I have posted many times lately, CP has lost his edge and many of his game-time decisions have been catastrophic. That is not to say that he hasn't done a great job bringing UW's football program back, he has.

Every single university in the country wanted Jimmy Lake, not necessarily as a HC but certainly as a DC. He is widely respected for his great football mind and player development. The big fear was that we were going to lose him this year and that may have played into this.

We have a young (42) coach that gives us great stability. He is a great recruiter, great player developer, and most importantly, a great strategist.

Really excited to see what he brings to the table.

https://247sports.com/college/washingto ... 139672734/
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:13 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Just heard this. My reaction is the same as DJrmb's. Wow, just wow. My second thought was "USC". He fits what the new university President wants, a quality human being that doesn't overlook his asst. coach physically abusing his wife like good ol' Urbs and he's a proven winner. Man if he goes there Dawg hardcore fans (looking at you Dome) gonna be freakin' pissed!

I dunno maybe it's just a case of him being bored with beating Mike Leach like a drum every November. :sarcasm_off:

No way Chris Petersen takes the USC job. He turned it down before they hired Sarkisian.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:19 pm

I'd be just as shocked with Petersen going to USC as I was when I saw this news of him stepping down.

I just think the high profile rat race world of being at a top Pac 12 and national program wore Petersen down, and he just couldn't do it anymore.

He's even said he doesn't like the high pressure win at all costs recruiting world of national programs, and what that takes to maintain and exceed expectations of coaching at UW. So IMO it's as simple as that, Petersen got burned out, and the pressure and backlash of this year was the final straw.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:22 pm
  • Chris brought back the UW culture to where it needed to be. And he left when he needed to as well. It was time For that, THANK YOU COACH.

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:24 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I'd be just as shocked with Petersen going to USC as I was when I saw this news of him stepping down.

I just think the high profile rat race world of being at a top Pac 12 and national program wore Petersen down, and he just couldn't do it anymore.

He's even said he doesn't like the high pressure win at all costs recruiting world of national programs, and what that takes to maintain and exceed expectations of coaching at UW. So IMO it's as simple as that, Petersen got burned out, and the pressure and backlash of this year was the final straw.

I can agree with that.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I'd be just as shocked with Petersen going to USC as I was when I saw this news of him stepping down.

I can agree with that.

I'm not saying anything most objective UW media and fans have said since Petersen got here.

Unfortunately to TRULY take the next step and compete with the other top 5 programs in the country, you've got to compromise your moral coaching compass, and kinda sell your soul to the devil a little to get to that next level of recruiting and winning..........and Petersen's wasn't willing to do that.

If you're a UW fan and DO want to see the next level? I've got good news, I think Jimmy Lake IS that type of coach.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:36 pm

Your post displays an almost complete misunderstanding of who Chris Petersen is.

Chris Petersen would rather be staked out naked over an ant hill than live in L.A.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:09 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:11 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Just heard this. My reaction is the same as DJrmb's. Wow, just wow. My second thought was "USC". He fits what the new university President wants, a quality human being that doesn't overlook his asst. coach physically abusing his wife like good ol' Urbs and he's a proven winner. Man if he goes there Dawg hardcore fans (looking at you Dome) gonna be freakin' pissed!

Your post displays an almost complete misunderstanding of who Chris Petersen is.

Chris Petersen would rather be staked out naked over an ant hill than live in L.A.

Mostly yanking you all's chain. As you said, he has integrity which is rare in college athletics these days. It's one of the reasons I love and respect Mark Few so much, he wins and by all appearances, does so the right way. I did think "USC" when I heard it though, I admit it. It was a typical reaction to where things have gone in college sports. You guys and knowledge of his history have convinced me that won't happen.
    Besides, how can he take over the Seahawks for Pete if he's at USC? :sarcasm_off:
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:37 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Besides, how can he take over the Seahawks for Pete if he's at USC? :sarcasm_off:

This!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm
  • I'm not really shocked by this..
    He has been coaching four 14 yrs at a high level and this year you kind of
    knew something was off.I didn't see the same fire from him as in past.
    I believe he is doing it because as he said "Burned out".
    I'm happy that he quits knowing he cannot do the job 100% at this time.
    I think Lake is a great hire..I love his fire and you can see the players
    respond to him with respect.I just hope he knows that OC has got to go.
    Next to Don James,Coach Pete is a coaching legend at UW.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:01 pm
  • Surprised but not surprised.

When I think of Coach Peterson one word comes to mind.

Integrity.

Thanks for everything coach!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:03 pm
  • cymatica wrote:Not leaving UW, just not coaching

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/university-of-washington/article237964389.html

Petersen, who has coached UW for the past six seasons, will transition to an advisory role in the athletic department.

I'd be shocked if this was more than just stabilizing the story and keeping Petersen on board until Lake and the other coaches can get through the transition with minimal recruit casualties and coaching turnover.

Meaning Petersen will be there as an "adviser" probably through next year tops, and then he'll leave. No way he wants to do this long term. My guess is he'll take a year or two off, and then go back to a smaller school where he can be happy and do things the way he wants to do them.

Smartest thing I've read on Twitter about this is "this is why Mark Few has stayed at Gonzaga all these years."

Less pressure while still competing with no pressure to compromise your integrity.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:43 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:52 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Just heard this. My reaction is the same as DJrmb's. Wow, just wow. My second thought was "USC". He fits what the new university President wants, a quality human being that doesn't overlook his asst. coach physically abusing his wife like good ol' Urbs and he's a proven winner. Man if he goes there Dawg hardcore fans (looking at you Dome) gonna be freakin' pissed!

I honestly think Washington was the only college that could pry him away from Boise State. He grew up a Husky fan, didn't he?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:13 pm
  • Shoot, really enjoyed his games vs Cristobal. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Allweatherfan
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:04 pm
  • Peterson as an advisor for continuity, IF in the event he gets the itch back I would bet the Seahawks do ask him if Pete decides to go upstairs himself. It's in the same are and he likes it here for the most part, I am sure the farther in the hills he can get the better, he seems to like small town feel.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:39 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Peterson as an advisor for continuity, IF in the event he gets the itch back I would bet the Seahawks do ask him if Pete decides to go upstairs himself. It's in the same are and he likes it here for the most part, I am sure the farther in the hills he can get the better, he seems to like small town feel.

Knowing what we know about CP do you really think he has any interest in professional sports?

He has enough money to never work again if he wants to. He'll work but it won't be in a stressful environment.

Smart move in my opinion.
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:40 pm
  • Allweatherfan wrote:Shoot, really enjoyed his games vs Cristobal. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for chiming in J.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:56 pm

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:18 pm
  • Not a huge CFB fan, more of a casual fan. But I love this guy and what he has brought to CFB. I'll never forget him beating Oklahoma with the Statue of Liberty by Zabransky (sp?) then one of his players proposing to his cheerleader g/f on the sideline. Great stuff.

IMH, and uneducated opinion, I think he's burned out, and like he said, needs to "recharge." Wouldn't surprise me if he stays in the advisory role, as that keeps him involved, but with less pressure, and he can be there for the Huskies, and Jimmy Lake.

I think the timing has to do with him wanting to help Jimmy Lake, the same way Pete Carroll helps his coaches advance. You've got to support them, and promote them, or else you just lose them to someone else and lose your opportunity to pass along your (Coach Peteresen's) most important asset, Integrity.

Integritry is why he was successful in recruiting. That, and caring about the young men he coaches outside of football. Saban just uses them, and uses them up. Coach Petersen prepares them for life outside of football.

One thing that I think is odd, is Danny O'Neil's take on this. "This is bad news for football, and we should be worried." I think he's reading more in to it than there is, as he seems to think that Coach Petersen is leaving strictly because of the turmoil in the NCAAF. I don't think that's it at all.

O'Neill also said "Don James just walked away," as if he was tired of coaching or something. I have no idea why he left, but I read that it was because of some of the people in charge of the football/sports program at Washington. Dunno.

I hope Chris Petersen sticks with his advisory role, and does his best to influence CFB in a positive way. Heaven knows the young men that play that game need it.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:22 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/731670/h ... walk-away/

I have thinking all year about losing Jimmy Lake. How can we do that I thought? There is only so much you can pay an assistant and he was already topped out. CP had an extension that kept him here so it seemed inevitable that we would lose him with all the national interest in him.

This resignation was a gift to the program. There are many things that played into CP's decision but I really do believe that his desire to have Jimmy Lake succeed him was part of it.

An article I read today mentioned that Chris Petersen was part of a dying breed of college coaches. Unfortunately, that is true.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:03 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote: I just hope he knows that OC has got to go.

^^^^Yep

Music to my ears!

“We’re going to have a different style on offense. We’re going to have a different style on our special teams,” Lake told a crowd of reporters following the formal press conference. “We’re going to be aggressive. We’re going to attack, and this place is ready to roll.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... onference/
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:26 pm
  • If he is burned out yeah a recharge is possible, but it is also what he does, and retire, well he may be that type, but then again Coaching is what he does and has a passion for. The NFL doesn't have all the recruiting stuff, a staff and franchise like the Seahawks would be a great fit for his personality type. Pete and John upstairs and he can coach and tell them what he needs and they go get it, they like that personnel side of it.

Besides that isn't going to be soon for the Seahawks based on how Pete seems to look on the Sidelines.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:36 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:If he is burned out yeah a recharge is possible, but it is also what he does, and retire, well he may be that type, but then again Coaching is what he does and has a passion for. The NFL doesn't have all the recruiting stuff, a staff and franchise like the Seahawks would be a great fit for his personality type. Pete and John upstairs and he can coach and tell them what he needs and they go get it, they like that personnel side of it.

Besides that isn't going to be soon for the Seahawks based on how Pete seems to look on the Sidelines.

Well, I guess nothing is impossible but I would be totally shocked.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:33 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Not a huge CFB fan, more of a casual fan. But I love this guy and what he has brought to CFB. I'll never forget him beating Oklahoma with the Statue of Liberty by Zabransky (sp?) then one of his players proposing to his cheerleader g/f on the sideline. Great stuff.

IMH, and uneducated opinion, I think he's burned out, and like he said, needs to "recharge." Wouldn't surprise me if he stays in the advisory role, as that keeps him involved, but with less pressure, and he can be there for the Huskies, and Jimmy Lake.

I think the timing has to do with him wanting to help Jimmy Lake, the same way Pete Carroll helps his coaches advance. You've got to support them, and promote them, or else you just lose them to someone else and lose your opportunity to pass along your (Coach Peteresen's) most important asset, Integrity.

Integritry is why he was successful in recruiting. That, and caring about the young men he coaches outside of football. Saban just uses them, and uses them up. Coach Petersen prepares them for life outside of football.

One thing that I think is odd, is Danny O'Neil's take on this. "This is bad news for football, and we should be worried." I think he's reading more in to it than there is, as he seems to think that Coach Petersen is leaving strictly because of the turmoil in the NCAAF. I don't think that's it at all.

O'Neill also said "Don James just walked away," as if he was tired of coaching or something. I have no idea why he left, but I read that it was because of some of the people in charge of the football/sports program at Washington. Dunno.

I hope Chris Petersen sticks with his advisory role, and does his best to influence CFB in a positive way. Heaven knows the young men that play that game need it.

He was pissed because he felt they got punished harder for less
    than a school like USC so he just left.
    https://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/23/sports/football
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:22 pm
  • Reading what he said today he seems really burned out, started last year.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:45 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Not a huge CFB fan, more of a casual fan. But I love this guy and what he has brought to CFB. I'll never forget him beating Oklahoma with the Statue of Liberty by Zabransky (sp?) then one of his players proposing to his cheerleader g/f on the sideline. Great stuff.

Had nothing to do with USC's sanctions that came 10 yrs later. He was pissed because the ridiculous Huskies sanctions amounted to giving potential recruits fruit baskets.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/580 ... ncaas-hand
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:46 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Not a huge CFB fan, more of a casual fan. But I love this guy and what he has brought to CFB. I'll never forget him beating Oklahoma with the Statue of Liberty by Zabransky (sp?) then one of his players proposing to his cheerleader g/f on the sideline. Great stuff.

Here's what happened to Don James Ivo: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/580 ... ncaas-hand
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:47 pm
  • What if Jimmy Lake was considering a different head coaching position, and UW just really wanted to retain him? That may have influenced the timing, if not CPs underlying motives.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:11 pm
  • Saw a guy with a t-shirt at SeaTac right after the sanctions were announced on UW which as we know prompted Don James to walk away. The shirt read: "If you can't beat them, sanction them".
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:00 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Saw a guy with a t-shirt at SeaTac right after the sanctions were announced on UW which as we know prompted Don James to walk away. The shirt read: "If you can't beat them, sanction them".

Think I saw that tactic just this morning :stirthepot:
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:25 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Saw a guy with a t-shirt at SeaTac right after the sanctions were announced on UW which as we know prompted Don James to walk away. The shirt read: "If you can't beat them, sanction them".

LOL! Thanks for that.

And thanks for those with info about Don James. I barely knew of him, but everything I heard was positive.

IMHO, CFB is in a sad state. They need to allow the Student Athlete, or anybody else, make money off the game, their likeness, or anything else they want, as long as they don't gamble.

I'm against paying them outright though, as a free college scholarship is a big deal, and it would put paying students at a huge disadvantage. And they might become resentful. I'm still paying off my student loans, but I was also a single parent with teenage daughter while going to school full time. Kids are $$$ :)

They also need to give them access to some kind of health insurance, or something similar to help them out if the injuries they sustained while playing for their college cause them problems down the road.

AND, they need to allow Student Athletes to switch to any school they want without penalty. This would force the recruiters towards legitimacy because if a Student gets to the College and finds it's nothing like they were told, then they can bail.

The NCAA has too much power, they need to be torn down, and rebuilt from the bottom up.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Coach Pete taking care of himself, and thus his family. He has a lot to be proud of. Especially with how he's helped out so many boys, to become men.

Ben Burr-Kerven LOVES him!

BOB, DAVE AND MOORE - December 4, 2019 - Hour 3

Seahawks linebacker Ben Burr-Kirven joins the show to talk about his Huskies winning another Apple Cup, learning from Bobby Wagner, and why Mike Leach's system doesn't work.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... +and+Moore
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:28 pm
  • Just read that Bleacher Report story you linked Dome. Wow, just wow!
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:17 pm
  • Some rumors going around that Dallas would be interested in him...
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:51 am

Yep. Ian Johnson threw that touchdown ball in the stands and got it back later. He was tossing it to family.

About Coach Pete. What Sports Hernia said is true...integrity. His players will do the right thing or will not be playing long. They do get strikes but not too many. Backup Quarterbacks get time when the primary goes down the wrong path. I has happened in Boise State and will happen wherever he decides to coach if he puts his hat in the ring. I would guess that he would take a scouting job as the stress level is way less and he has contacts around the country from the Boise State aspect as well as the UW aspect. That would be a great thing for Coach PC to have around. One more thing about the Dallas possibility, The Offensive Coordinator is Coach Petersens QB from Prosser Washington.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:52 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Not a huge CFB fan, more of a casual fan. But I love this guy and what he has brought to CFB. I'll never forget him beating Oklahoma with the Statue of Liberty by Zabransky (sp?) then one of his players proposing to his cheerleader g/f on the sideline. Great stuff.

Had nothing to do with USC's sanctions that came 10 yrs later. He was pissed because the ridiculous Huskies sanctions amounted to giving potential recruits fruit baskets.

Dome..I remember clearly and I'm guessing that I am older than you.
    You did not read my post right as I meant UW got punished harder
    than other schools for a lot less.
    I was using USC as a toss in not a comparasion as it was different
    schools who have done worse but USC has been punished before PC
    you can put that in the bank.
    The rest of your post like the (fruit basket)and link I can agree as
    I was just providing imfo on the James era that has always bothered
    me in the way that happened.
    They were a serious powerhouse and probaly would have won at least
    another national title had James stayed.
    That win at Miami ..Great times!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:06 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:

Dome..I remember clearly and I'm guessing that I am older than you.
    You did not read my post right as I meant UW got punished harder
    than other schools for a lot less.
    I was using USC as a toss in not a comparasion as it was different
    schools who have done worse but USC has been punished before PC
    you can put that in the bank.
    The rest of your post like the (fruit basket)and link I can agree as
    I was just providing imfo on the James era that has always bothered
    me in the way that happened.
    They were a serious powerhouse and probaly would have won at least
    another national title had James stayed.
    That win at Miami ..Great times!

I was just saying that whatever happened to USC had nothing to do with James quitting because the USC stuff happened 10-years later. I am not aware of any USC sanctions around this time. Do you have a link? I don't know how old you are either but i had just left UW and so was right in the middle of it at the time. I know many of the players involved and that is why I am so adamant about this.

It was a terrible time and we were alternately broken-hearted and furious at the same time.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT ]

Information