If you were Russ, where is your ideal destination for next s

keasley45

Reaction score
toffee":1yofgdji said:
Ace_Rimmer":1yofgdji said:
massari":1yofgdji said:
With Sean Payton in Seattle

Russell Wilson‘s agent specifically identified the Saints as one of the four teams to which Wilson would accept a trade. Payton could be fascinated by the possibilities of constructing an offense around the quarterback who throws the best deep ball in all of football, and who can accurately distribute the various short routes that fuel the New Orleans offense.

It also won’t be a surprise, frankly, if Payton’s name makes a re-emergence on the Sunday Splash! circuit as a guy who could be moving on after the season. if Payton can’t bring a franchise quarterback to him, maybe he’ll take himself to a franchise quarterback.

Just because he is almost as big as Brees, he thinks he can play just like him under Payton. The problem is, Russ doesn't step up in the pocket like DB did.
But Brees couldn't run or run around avoiding like Russ. Hey I did advocate trading Russ last off season, but I have no doubt about what Russ can do or he is a first ballot HOF.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Brees never needed to. He could read a defense like he was reading the Sunday paper... with his eyes closed. He was great at getting the ball out on time to whoever the defense would leave uncovered. Even in his last season he didn't need to use his legs. It was just his arm that eventually failed him.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We can put the Giants out of the equation right off the bat. My co-worker is a diehard Giants fan and he simply said "we don't want him." I asked him to elaborate. How could you not possibly want Russell Wilson over what you have now? He simply said "We have NO OL! We need to build our line in the draft so what good would Russ be for us?"

Fair point.

Russ would never consider ANY other team that isn't an obvious upgrade in OL and running game, period.

justafan

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2ojx0fyp said:
massari":2ojx0fyp said:

Russell Wilson‘s agent specifically identified the Saints as one of the four teams to which Wilson would accept a trade. Payton could be fascinated by the possibilities of constructing an offense around the quarterback who throws the best deep ball in all of football, and who can accurately distribute the various short routes that fuel the New Orleans offense.

It also won’t be a surprise, frankly, if Payton’s name makes a re-emergence on the Sunday Splash! circuit as a guy who could be moving on after the season. if Payton can’t bring a franchise quarterback to him, maybe he’ll take himself to a franchise quarterback.

Payton with 1 superbowl.

justafan

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":7vvm4vnt said:
massari":7vvm4vnt said:

Payton with 1 superbowl.

Another one of those love affairs some posters have on coaches that have done less with more

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The more I think about it, WFT could be an ideal destination for RW -

1) They have a good OL, strong running game, top 15 WR - Terry McLaurin
2) Strong defense
3) They have the 4th highest cap space for 2022 - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/
4) It's DC plus close proximity to Virginia where RW was raised.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
hawkfan68":sz3kq0z8 said:

2) Strong defense
3) They have the 4th highest cap space for 2022 - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/
Indeed sounded ideal! Also close to NYC for social activities, , and DC has excellent private schools for kids, hey great networking opportunity for future presidential aspirations.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
massari":2hs6ijao said:

But why

Payton hasn't done much recently and wasn't able to get it done with Brees for the past 11 years.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2ugfqaoe said:
massari":2ugfqaoe said:

But why

Payton hasn't done much recently and wasn't able to get it done with Brees for the past 11 years.

One could argue that our Russ is a better QB than Brees, more tools in his tool bag.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3m4ndzi9 said:

2) Strong defense

This is what I was thinking.

massari

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":27e4zmw9 said:
But why

idk, guys, why would Wilson want to play for a guy regarded as one of the best offensive minded NFL coaches in the league, who is a super bowl winner, future HOF, and runs a modern offense? Insane.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Saints, Denver, WTF, er, WFT, maybe Carolina. Of these, WFT would seem the most likely. Or not, since Russell just lost to a weaker-armed Russell Wilson play-alike named Taylor Heinicke. Why give up capital for a QB who just got outplayed head-to-head by your own super-inexpensive QB?

None of these will be, or should be interested in Russell if he doesn't light it up for the Seahawks for the remainder of the season.

However, since Russell's game relies on his legs rather than reading defenses, I don't see how he will play more than a couple more years without making massive changes to his game and reinventing himself to get the ball out quickly and rely less on his legs.

Even our own Dave Krieg had many more NFL seasons after the Seahawks due to his ability to read defenses. Meanwhile, the Seahawks "upgraded" from Krieg to those NFL 1st ballot HOFers Kelly Stouffer, Dan McGwire, Stan Gelbaugh, and other household names.

massari

Reaction score
justafan":1r7k5vak said:
Shanegotyou11":1r7k5vak said:
massari":1r7k5vak said:

Payton with 1 superbowl.

Another one of those love affairs some posters have on coaches that have done less with more
Just a few weeks ago before the Saints got pounded with injuries:

Why Sean Payton, who keeps adjusting and keeps winning, is our top NFL coach midseason
https://theathletic.com/2922262/2021/11 ... -midseason
Animated laughing image 0133

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
massari":2pp06z71 said:
Maelstrom787":2pp06z71 said:
But why

idk, guys, why would Wilson want to play for a guy regarded as one of the best offensive minded NFL coaches in the league, who is a super bowl winner, future HOF, and runs a modern offense? Insane.

Fair enough. I was thinking more from a fan perspective than Russell's for a moment there.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
keasley45":3nx065l5 said:
toffee":3nx065l5 said:
Ace_Rimmer":3nx065l5 said:
massari":3nx065l5 said:

Just because he is almost as big as Brees, he thinks he can play just like him under Payton. The problem is, Russ doesn't step up in the pocket like DB did.
But Brees couldn't run or run around avoiding like Russ. Hey I did advocate trading Russ last off season, but I have no doubt about what Russ can do or he is a first ballot HOF.

Brees never needed to. He could read a defense like he was reading the Sunday paper... with his eyes closed. He was great at getting the ball out on time to whoever the defense would leave uncovered. Even in his last season he didn't need to use his legs. It was just his arm that eventually failed him.

why do yall keep thinking because a qb is mobile that means he can't read defenses?

dree brees tom brady and aaron rodgers aren't mobile because they are not athletic. if they could do what wilson has

done they would, and on top of that, they always had mass protection at the line, they never needed to run for their

life every season. thats why they throw the quick pass anyway, has nothing to do with intellect.

massari

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":14zid67e said:
Fair enough. I was thinking more from a fan perspective than Russell's for a moment there.
Even so, Payton is still considered by most as a top 5 HC, in that Andy Reid/Tomlin/Harbaugh tier below Belichick.

This was just a few weeks ago before a lot of those key injuries that killed the Saints this season:
https://theathletic.com/2922262/2021/11 ... midseason/

Would love to see how Wilson does with a Sean Payton/Andy Reid type.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Can Peyton scheme up a way so russ isn’t having to see cover 2 all the time? Cuz he’s doomed if he has to help Russ actually read a defense.

Maybe treat Russ like McVay did Goff.

Latest posts