Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pete Carroll is amazing

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Pete Carroll is amazing
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:44 pm
  • For a proud franchise that is so used to winning - to finish so strongly and manage to treat a meaningless week 18 game like a playoff game...the rarity of this is vastly underrated.

I don't know what it will mean going forward, but that is a helluva coaching job.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Re: Pete Carroll is amazing
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:01 am
  • Team improves when Wilson gets healthy and Penny finally starts running with some purpose, but Pete Carroll is amazing. Lol. Only time he ever amazed me was when he openly admitted to not understanding what other teams did to beat him.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:06 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:Team improves when Wilson gets healthy and Penny finally starts running with some purpose, but Pete Carroll is amazing. Lol. Only time he ever amazed me was when he openly admitted to not understanding what other teams did to beat him.

Well the highlighted and him saying he wasn't sure how to fix a losing trend.

These tidbits would be what as a operations person working for Jody I would bring to the meeting and ask Pete to explain how that can happen as the Head Coach and President.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:32 am
  • Tical21 wrote:For a proud franchise that is so used to winning - to finish so strongly and manage to treat a meaningless week 18 game like a playoff game...the rarity of this is vastly underrated.

I don't know what it will mean going forward, but that is a helluva coaching job.

I agree it was a great job of coaching in several different areas with several different coaches on this team...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:01 am
  • The team was scratching and clawing to hang on to long shot playoff hopes early as it was looking dismal yet not a single guy packed it up and quit.. let alone after any chance of post season was dashed. Frustrated as next with coaching decisions when not adapting and falling back into same scheme’s or lack there of to capitalize on our strengths but not one player packed it up. That says quite a bit for Pete. Russ had some rough times and dealt with first time having an injury to sideline him. Maybe came back early but anyone thinking just wanted out he wouldnt have pushed to get back or ran for tds in AZ in a meaningless game in AZ…he has nothing to “audition” for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DJ_CJ
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:43 am
  • Tical21 wrote:For a proud franchise that is so used to winning - to finish so strongly and manage to treat a meaningless week 18 game like a playoff game...the rarity of this is vastly underrated.

^
    This shows why .NET needs a homer forum . Let the slobbering begin . :D
    xray
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:23 am

I agree. There is absolutely no quit on a Pete Carroll coached team.
    coorslighthawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:00 am
  • Never mind the Seahawks, what about the Jags?

By that logic that Jags must be sitting pretty!

Imagine what an incredible job their coach did. They also won in a meaningless game against a team that needed a playoff win. What a showing by their head coach. They beat a team that had to win that game to go into the playoffs. One of the more dangerous in the AFC that had to have that game to go to the playoffs.

Tremendous job of motivation by Carroll and whoever is coaching the Jags now.

Sure you could say that the Cards have been on the downslope recently.

Or that a literal hallmark of an aging ineffective coach is suddenly popping up with one or two meaningless wins once the season is over (go look at how Levy was doing before he retired). The concept of suddenly playing better or coaching better when there is literally no pressure even has a nickname, it is so common.

But what an amazing future the Jags and Seahawks have next season after the coaching win in that last meaningless game.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:23 am
  • I don't think most of us ever questioned Pete's leadership abilities, or culture building, or the amazing job he's done at building this franchise.

It's the X's and O's, personnel, drafting, scheme, etc that a lot of us would like to see him now have a diminished role in. Or not be involved with at all.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:22 am

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:37 am
  • Quitters quit.
    I mean, the Stealers have their yellow "Terrible Towels", maybe for this Seahawks Fandom, we can push to get some Seafoam green "Crying Towels"
    Has it occurred to anyone that maybe the players were playing for their pride, only to have a bunch of snivelers totally not give a $hit?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:41 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I don't think most of us ever questioned Pete's leadership abilities, or culture building, or the amazing job he's done at building this franchise.

It's the X's and O's, personnel, drafting, scheme, etc that a lot of us would like to see him now have a diminished role in. Or not be involved with at all.

My biggest problem is talent and the draft. But I think the problem is too much collaboration between the GM and coaches. I dont think Pete is the iron handed ruler making all the decisions. At the end of the day he is the one to blame because that was the responsibility he wanted. I think too many times they listened to people like Cable, Bevell, Schotty or whoever with nobody being held responsible for the choices except Pete. Thats the problem with their office with no walls policy they talk about, everyone has input but who do you blame. We know JS made the trade and pick for DK but who wanted Collier or a another WR last year. I think JS is a bigger problem than most but Pete catches all the blame, thats a pretty good gig for JS.

I would like the GM and scouting dept. to have the autonomy to make all the draft picks. Then we know without a doubt who is the responsible. Right now we are all guessing who does what on the drafting and talent acquisition. I doubt Pete would fire or replace JS, it seems they have a strong relationship.

I do agree with the OP. I think Pete is a amazing coach. I think he has done more with less than many of the other coaches talked about here,
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:10 am
  • justafan wrote: I do agree with the OP. I think Pete is a amazing coach. I think he has done more with less than many of the other coaches talked about here,

This is where I wholeheartedly disagree. If you pitted the exact same team against each other, I feel the Carroll coached team would lose against the majority of the other coaches in the NFL. I think he's awful as an X and O's coach. Pete needs the utmost talent to succeed in my opinion. I think a bunch of coaches would have gotten more out of Seattles early Pete Carroll roster than he did. God bless him for putting it together, but leading them,,,,
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:42 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    justafan wrote: I do agree with the OP. I think Pete is a amazing coach. I think he has done more with less than many of the other coaches talked about here,

This is where I wholeheartedly disagree. If you pitted the exact same team against each other, I feel the Carroll coached team would lose against the majority of the other coaches in the NFL. I think he's awful as an X and O's coach. Pete needs the utmost talent to succeed in my opinion. I think a bunch of coaches would have gotten more out of Seattles early Pete Carroll roster than he did. God bless him for putting it together, but leading them,,,,

With an all beat to hell Offense for most the season, his Coaching style beat the 49rs TWICE, & split with a supposedly superior Cardinals team.
    Pete haters are gonna keep on hating & I don't care :17:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:47 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    justafan wrote: I do agree with the OP. I think Pete is a amazing coach. I think he has done more with less than many of the other coaches talked about here,

And I am ok with that. We all have opinions. I would pay to see Pete or any coach who has had his success go one on one at a white board with fans who think they know Xs and Os. I dont know your level of knowledge or intelligence and Im not judging that or anyones but the man has spent 50 years of devoting his life to coaching. It would be be like challenging DK to a 100 yrd dash.

How good would Petes Xs and Os be with Donald, Ramsey, Lloyd, Gaines, Von Miller and Williams be? We would probably have a top 5 D. We would be a playoff team. Would Mcvay be a genius with Hyder, Mone,Taylor, Brown and Jones? Maybe a 500 team. Talent trumps Xs and Os. Did Norton outcoach Dingleberry with Xs and Os in AZ last week or did the players just outplay theirs. All the pro coaches have schemes that work if you have the players with talent and intelligence to pull them off.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:28 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

With an all beat to hell Offense for most the season, his Coaching style beat the 49rs TWICE, & split with a supposedly superior Cardinals team.
    Pete haters are gonna keep on hating & I don't care :17:

Is that really that impressive? Seattle beats the Niners all the time. The Niners beat the Rams all the time. The Rams beat Seattle all the time. Its just the way the football Gods have it drawn up. Sprinkle in some Cardinal games that can go either way and thats the NFC West. I wouldnt consider that a coaching epiphany. I would say thats a normal season.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:54 pm
  • Trolled the entire forum...yall deserve it

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
    taylorvon29
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:40 pm
  • DJ_CJ wrote:The team was scratching and clawing to hang on to long shot playoff hopes early as it was looking dismal yet not a single guy packed it up and quit.. let alone after any chance of post season was dashed. Frustrated as next with coaching decisions when not adapting and falling back into same scheme’s or lack there of to capitalize on our strengths but not one player packed it up. That says quite a bit for Pete. Russ had some rough times and dealt with first time having an injury to sideline him. Maybe came back early but anyone thinking just wanted out he wouldnt have pushed to get back or ran for tds in AZ in a meaningless game in AZ…he has nothing to “audition” for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you saw at the end of the year, was the players rallying. They were not likely playing to keep the HC around, they were playing for pride. In my opinion, they were finishing out the string as a "goodbye present" to the coaching staff. Imagine how shocked they are that this 71 year old man is going to still coach them. I remember the Buffalo Bills coach, Marv Levy I think, took multiple iterations of the team to the Super Bowl. He was finished at a certain age, which I believe was younger than PC. There comes a time when you cut bait, that time IS NOW.

As an older man myself, I can tell you that there is a tendency to go ALL IN to win, on the football front by making moves a young coach doesn't make. You know that this is likely your last hurrah, so you gamble and WILDLY overpay for a Safety, giving up QB type of compensation in draft capital, and $$$$'s. There is no long term planning, as Pete is likely planning for his first heart attack, or a stroke. It is very likely to happen, the odds are in the favor of it.

The way to continue building this team is through the draft, player acquisition, and finding the next QB. Even SF moved on from Montana, the Pats moved on from Brady and the Packers moved on from Favre. This team needs a plan to do that. Russ is not finished yet, but he is damn close. When HIS wheels come off, as they are now, he will be a sitting duck and an I N T machine.
    jeremiah
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:42 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:

I could not agree more.....
    jeremiah
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:03 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:Team improves when Wilson gets healthy and Penny finally starts running with some purpose, but Pete Carroll is amazing. Lol. Only time he ever amazed me was when he openly admitted to not understanding what other teams did to beat him.

This^^^^
    John63
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:29 pm
  • justafan wrote: I do agree with the OP. I think Pete is a amazing coach. I think he has done more with less than many of the other coaches talked about here,

Few will agree with you on dot net, that's not until we got our own Rich Kotite.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:25 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:Team improves when Wilson gets healthy and Penny finally starts running with some purpose, but Pete Carroll is amazing. Lol. Only time he ever amazed me was when he openly admitted to not understanding what other teams did to beat him.

This^^^^

He probably saved Russ Getting traded... maybe it's time you step back and give the man a chance and give credit where credit is due
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:59 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:Team improves when Wilson gets healthy and Penny finally starts running with some purpose, but Pete Carroll is amazing. Lol. Only time he ever amazed me was when he openly admitted to not understanding what other teams did to beat him.

This^^^^

He probably saved Russ Getting traded... maybe it's time you step back and give the man a chance and give credit where credit is due

I have no problem giving PC his due. I gave him credit for finally allowing Waldron to run his offense for not just 1 whole game but 2. And he deserves his share ofnthe credit for keeping the guys working hard in the end. But so does the other coaches, the captains and the players themselves. I don't think that makes him amazing though. But he deserves credit for his part in keeping the players pushing.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:03 am

Well unfortunately I don't think getting the players to play hard when it doesn't matter is going to cut it with an aging Wilson, a terrible Jamal Adams trade, Bobby Wagner needs to be cut (so Jordyn Brooks can play his natural position... he's a first round pick), Diggs is probably gone (I think you have to just because he would cost too much + that injury), Our Defensive Line fell asleep all season until the last few games...

Our Offensive Line looks promising but I don't trust these guys to stay healthy... Knowing our luck Curhan and Haynes will get injured by the first 3-4 weeks of the season and we didn't invest properly in the Offensive Line and we are back to the same old formula of the past 7 years, at best 1 playoff win (usually none).

Jamal will probably also get injured in the first 2-3 weeks, I don't think he'll ever be good again.

We will probably keep Bobby Wagner and waste over 12 million dollars on him... Jordyn Brooks probably won't be able to play his natural position.

Even Tyler Lockett or Eskridge is likely to be injured next season imo, at least one if not both.

Not to mention Rashaad Penny can't make it through a whole season, I'd bet my life savings he'll miss at least 1 game if not way more.

So yes, you are correct Pete did a heck of a coaching job to win some meaningless games in a dead season, but I still can't see any kind of scenario where this is going to work with Pete + Russ. We would have to literally win the lottery with NO INJURIES ALL SEASON, otherwise I don't trust this coaching staff and management to be able to correctly navigate the current tough decisions and actually give us a good Offensive Line and Defensive Line that can withstand the multiple injuries.

Assuming Pete and Russ are still here (which makes no sense to me after saving $13,000,000 and going 7-10)... we need to do this:

- Cut Bobby Wagner plain and simple (Bobby should never even be here without KJ Wright at this stage of his career).

- Let Diggs go.

- Get a new kicker

- Restructure Wilson

- Trade Jamal Adams (I don't care if we have to take a huge dead money hit, he's completely worthless I'm 100% sure we will not win a Super Bowl if he's on the team)... Get someone for him, like Offensive Line or Defensive Line. Eat the dead money and get 1-2 players that will help the team unlike him.

- Invest EVERYTHING in the Defensive Line and Offensive Line.
    Tokadub
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:09 pm

In my eyes, Pete is an outstanding motivator and leader. He has written an outstanding resume. He wants for everyone to be the very best they can be.

I suspect most detractors begrudge his success and in so doing have unwittingly become prisoners of their own jealousy. That's an unfortunate trap.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:26 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:For a proud franchise that is so used to winning - to finish so strongly and manage to treat a meaningless week 18 game like a playoff game...the rarity of this is vastly underrated.

I agree it was a great job of coaching in several different areas with several different coaches on this team...

LTH

Yep, ain't it amazing what a large dose of "PETE-BALL" (running attack) >THATS WELL EXECUTED< can do for helping take the pressures OFF of Russell Wilson, and almost completely dominate an opponents' Defense? :stirthepot:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:28 pm
  • Jville wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:For a proud franchise that is so used to winning - to finish so strongly and manage to treat a meaningless week 18 game like a playoff game...the rarity of this is vastly underrated.

In my eyes, Pete is an outstanding motivator and leader. He has written an outstanding resume. He wants for everyone to be the very best they can be.

I suspect most detractors begrudge his success and in so doing have unwittingly become prisoners of their own jealousy. That's an unfortunate trap.

I agree, and I remember coach Bill Walsh spoke highly of Pete when Pete was DC for 9ers. Just remember Rich Kotite failed miserably replacing Pete, even Bill's team took a step back after he replaced Pete. Pete may not meet the 'high standard' set by dudes on dot net, there are few Pete is NFL.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:32 pm
  • Tokadub wrote:

Well unfortunately I don't think getting the players to play hard when it doesn't matter is going to cut it with an aging Wilson, a terrible Jamal Adams trade, Bobby Wagner needs to be cut (so Jordyn Brooks can play his natural position... he's a first round pick), Diggs is probably gone (I think you have to just because he would cost too much + that injury), Our Defensive Line fell asleep all season until the last few games...

Our Offensive Line looks promising but I don't trust these guys to stay healthy... Knowing our luck Curhan and Haynes will get injured by the first 3-4 weeks of the season and we didn't invest properly in the Offensive Line and we are back to the same old formula of the past 7 years, at best 1 playoff win (usually none).

Jamal will probably also get injured in the first 2-3 weeks, I don't think he'll ever be good again.

We will probably keep Bobby Wagner and waste over 12 million dollars on him... Jordyn Brooks probably won't be able to play his natural position.

Even Tyler Lockett or Eskridge is likely to be injured next season imo, at least one if not both.

Not to mention Rashaad Penny can't make it through a whole season, I'd bet my life savings he'll miss at least 1 game if not way more.

So yes, you are correct Pete did a heck of a coaching job to win some meaningless games in a dead season, but I still can't see any kind of scenario where this is going to work with Pete + Russ. We would have to literally win the lottery with NO INJURIES ALL SEASON, otherwise I don't trust this coaching staff and management to be able to correctly navigate the current tough decisions and actually give us a good Offensive Line and Defensive Line that can withstand the multiple injuries.

Assuming Pete and Russ are still here (which makes no sense to me after saving $13,000,000 and going 7-10)... we need to do this:

- Cut Bobby Wagner plain and simple (Bobby should never even be here without KJ Wright at this stage of his career).

- Let Diggs go.

- Get a new kicker

- Restructure Wilson

- Trade Jamal Adams (I don't care if we have to take a huge dead money hit, he's completely worthless I'm 100% sure we will not win a Super Bowl if he's on the team)... Get someone for him, like Offensive Line or Defensive Line. Eat the dead money and get 1-2 players that will help the team unlike him.

- Invest EVERYTHING in the Defensive Line and Offensive Line.

Need some cheese to go with that WHINE?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:56 pm
  • Jville wrote:

Agreed ^^ I don't have a problem with some folks pitching their grievances with Pete, I mean, "to each his own", but when they try to dominate every post MULTIPLE TIMES with their negativity? it starts wearing pretty damned thin.
    It's like Hey man, I heard ya the last 100 times you vented....I guess misery loves company eh? :mrgreen:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:45 am
  • Carroll **was** amazing is the words I would use. I feel like he's really turned his back on some of his core principles that he held coming from USC.

Coming from college there was a different vibe that Carroll crafted here. Nobodies job was safe, everyone had to compete for a roster space whether they were a veteran or a rookie. During this time in Seattle we would not hesitate to start rookies or cast aside aging veterans. I can't say that I've seen that mentality from Carroll's squad in a long time. Did Tre Flowers really earn his roster spot over Brown, or was Flowers simply in that spot because of seniority? It feels like the longer Carroll spends in the NFL, the more he conforms to NFL norms.

Carroll has bowed quite a bit to one player, Russell Wilson. It used to be that no one player was above the team -- but Carroll held a different standard for Wilson vs. his other players. This is what got Browner, Sherman, Thomas, and Bennett all up in arms.

Carroll also was a trendsetter coming into the NFL. These days Carroll seems to be playing catch up more often than not with the defensive schemes. This is a stat I saw about halfway through the season. No other team except for Jaguars came out in base defense more than the Seahawks.

Carroll has big issues with nepotism. Norton Jr. is still our DC despite doing an awful job on the Raiders, and then doing a terrible job on the Seahawks as well. Cable and Bevell also kept their jobs way longer than they probably should have.

I think that Carroll is still an amazing motivator and big picture guy. I think that he really needs to have some of his powers revoked. He is involved in way too many affairs in the team and he's going to be 71 by the time September rolls around. His GM veto abilities and all player acquisition rights need to be ceded to Schneider. The Jamal Adams trade alone should have ended those privileges. I'd also like to see Norton get fired and a new guy brought in, could even be someone of Carroll's choosing. Carroll comes up with the big picture and he farms it out to his staff with limited interference to execute.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:34 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information