Pete Carroll supports Eagles use of QB push tactic

Mizak

Reaction score

The Eagles aren't alone in their support of the move. Seattle Seahawkscoach Pete Carroll fully embraced the idea and thinks it could spread

"This is an opportunity for the game to evolve, I think," Carroll said Tuesday. "I didn't [initially] understand or didn't realize how far they had gone with their commitment in terms of it looking like a rugby play in a scrum. I thought that was an evolutionary opportunity for the league.

"The fact that they're entertaining the thought of maybe not allowing it to happen in some form or fashion, I get that because they're clinging to what we know and may not be willing to go where we don't know. But it's going to affect third-down [and] second-down playcalling, so I was excited about it and I thought it was cool."

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I enjoy the rugby scrums. If they want player safety, this is a good way to eliminate violent collisions. Just make the players sandwich each other

seahawks08

Reaction score
Wait, is he for or against? Sometimes Pete can be so confusing to understand

IndyHawk

Reaction score
You forget he coached Reggie Bush in the famous "Bush push" game
against ND,of course he likes it.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
You forget he coached Reggie Bush in the famous "Bush push" game
against ND,of course he likes it.
I forgot, or can't remember, the ND game.
Was that before, or after, Reggie's scoring push of Matt Leinart in the Rose Bowl vs Texas?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

The Eagles aren't alone in their support of the move. Seattle Seahawkscoach Pete Carroll fully embraced the idea and thinks it could spread

"This is an opportunity for the game to evolve, I think," Carroll said Tuesday. "I didn't [initially] understand or didn't realize how far they had gone with their commitment in terms of it looking like a rugby play in a scrum. I thought that was an evolutionary opportunity for the league.

"The fact that they're entertaining the thought of maybe not allowing it to happen in some form or fashion, I get that because they're clinging to what we know and may not be willing to go where we don't know. But it's going to affect third-down [and] second-down playcalling, so I was excited about it and I thought it was cool."
I really have absolutely no idea what type of problem the league would have with this play.

It doesn't cause injury or risk.

No different than pushing a running back for an extra 2 or 3 yards in a scrum/pile.

I don't get the problem. Maybe the league doesn't like the eagles for some reason? Who knows.

Just like narrowing the posts for field goals, I think this type of play evens out the odds on 4th and short. Makes it more of a 50/50 play - and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. And, I agree with PC - it changes your options for playcalling on 2nd and 3rd downs.

What do they want, CFL style? Run Pass Punt. I think it livens up the game.

I must be missing something.

James in PA

Reaction score
I really have absolutely no idea what type of problem the league would have with this play.

No different than pushing a running back for an extra 2 or 3 yards in a scrum/pile.

I don't get the problem. Maybe the league doesn't like the eagles for some reason? Who knows.

Just like narrowing the posts for field goals, I think this type of play evens out the odds on 4th and short. Makes it more of a 50/50 play - and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. And, I agree with PC - it changes your options for playcalling on 2nd and 3rd downs.

That play is close to automatic. At least for Philly it is. In time, more teams will get it down and it will be an automatic for them as well. The league doesn't like automatics. That's why they moved the extra point back -- to add more drama.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
That play is close to automatic. At least for Philly it is. In time, more teams will get it down and it will be an automatic for them as well. The league doesn't like automatics. That's why they moved the extra point back -- to add more drama.
Well that's as good an explanation as I could come up with - makes sense - well, NFL sense.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

I'm totally with @CalgaryHawkFan2005 on this one. Given that the alternative would be more punts on fourth-and-1, I'm all for keeping the rule as it is. Additionally, a new rule prohibiting the short-yardage "push" play would be dependent on judgment calls, like what makes a catch, and I think the less interpretation is necessary for officials, the better.

Carroll's point is good, and I hadn't really thought about that much, even though I noticed the Eagles played third down differently knowing they had this possibility if they managed to get to fourth-and-short. Changing the probabilities on fourth-and-short should change play calling on second and third downs.

If teams start doing this a lot (I hear about 300 times on each Super Bowl that the NFL is a "copycat league"), defenses will find ways to respond. I'm guessing the Commanders, Cowboys, and Giants coaching staffs are already working on this, since they all face the Eagles at least twice every season.

I found myself a little envious when I saw the Eagles converting fourth-and-short situations that way. Instead of "make a rule against this," I thought "I'd love to see the Seahawks doing this."

Palmegranite

Reaction score
It's only an automatic because no defensive coordinator has implemented a solution yet. It's not like Philly got to bring out 3 extra players for that play to tip the weight balance.

This is no different than a tug of war, reverse-style. Both sides have 11 participants.

I think next season will be a big shock to the Eagles when they try this 4th and xx yards stunt at their own 20 and get stopped, or pushed back for lost yardage....

Risk vs reward.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I found myself a little envious when I saw the Eagles converting fourth-and-short situations that way. Instead of "make a rule against this," I thought "I'd love to see the Seahawks doing this."
Right?!

Totally agree.

I also wanna see the variant/bait version of this - where a team is GOOD at this play, but then line up for it and bait you into 'something' else.

It's like the dual QB threat - one's good with his legs, one's good at passing - and then you flip it when the other side thinks they know what you're doing.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
You can tell when the Eagles are going to run this play. Their OLinemen use a different stance, their heads are really low. If you're playing DLine, then why not just shove them face first into the turf?