Should my weekly Enemy Forum post be changed to Rival forum?

Should it be "Enemy Fan Forums" or "Rival Fan Forums"?

• Keep it "This Week's Enemy Fan Forums"

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • Change it to "This Week's Rival Fan Forums"

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • This Is stupid.

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Recently, the owner of this awesome site, Wenhawk, posted this reply in Kitsapguy's post filling in for me this week. What say you? I will change it if the majority wants it.

Wenhawk wrote:
"Up to you but someone suggested we call it Rival forum instead of Enemy forum and I think that is pretty fitting. There are enough real enemies in the world right now I don't think we should classify other NFL fans as our enemy."

First off, the fans are not the enemy. It's the teams. To me, the other 31 teams are the enemy, not the fans. This will be my 20th year of doing this here every season through all of .NET's incarnations, and I enjoy doing it. To me, football IS war, and they are the enemy on game day. George Carlin puts it pretty well in this classic bit.

[youtube]aIkqNiBASfI[/youtube]

mort

Reaction score
Keep enemy for division games.... and patriot/steeler games....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Enemy is fine.

God this country is getting soft.

Taking offense at literally almost everything is killing us.

Erebus

Reaction score
I agree with the need to be politically correct when discussing different demographics, but in my opinion, refraining from saying enemy takes it a little far. It's not offensive, especially in the context it's being used.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Blue Thunder, you do what you think is best. I highky doubt any visiting fan is taken aback or offended by the thread title.

If they are, it is likely they won't like it here anyways.

These are great posts by the way. Thanks for doing them.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Uncle Si":35ybr38i said:
Blue Thunder, you do what you think is best. I highky doubt any visiting fan is taken aback or offended by the thread title.

If they are, it is likely they won't like it here anyways.

These are great posts by the way. Thanks for doing them.

Thanks Si. I enjoy doing them, and contributing to .Net. I'm kind of on board with the 3... oh wait, 4 guys that voted "This is stupid". LOL That's why I included it! :lol:

FPD

Reaction score
Just keep it like has always been!

OpHawk

Reaction score
This kind of crap is so over the top stupid and everywhere at the same time. Sad

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Rivals are our division foes.

If you want to go completely non-offensive, call it opponents forums.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy." - Anakin Skywalker

Keep it

chris98251

Reaction score
Lets not get pussified everywhere, Rivals are teams we have a history with or in a division.

The game of Football is a war waged on a field of play for 60 minutes, sometimes more, terms like attacking and defending are used.

They are the Enemy for those 60 minutes, we just know who it is in advance from week to week and after that game we move on to the next encounter.

War terminology, there for an Enemy for that week.

chet380

Reaction score
"Enemy' has too close a connotation to war and is not appropriate for a web sports site. -- why not 'opponent' or 'rival'?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Dictionary.com defines enemy like this:
a person who feels hatred for, fosters harmful designs against, or engages in antagonistic activities against another; an adversary or opponent.

Sounds exactly how I feel on game day. Especially certain teams. The worst word in this definition is hatred. As strong a word as that is, I can honestly say I have hated different teams over the years. Beating a team you have hatred for, tastes extra sweet. Seriously, how sweet was the NFCCG against SF?

Why this is even a discussion is beyond me. And for a little context, I have a degree in sociology, I lean left politically and support BLM and any other movement that raises all of humanity to an equal footing.