This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Minnesota Vikings

BlueThunder

Reaction score

Own The West

Reaction score
Viking's Armageddon? :34853_doh:

I do like Purple Pain's game day thread title though: Week 4 Vikings vs Texans Support Group. I think we should adopt that here. :lol:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
LMAO,

One poster said the over under for this game will be like 80 points.

Another poster responded by asking if he thought the Seahawks were really going to score 77 points.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":cr5bc7lv said:
So, are we gonna' hear the term "Trap Game" every time we play a lesser opponent? :mrgreen:

Probably, because then the poster looks intelligent if we lose; thus there is a positive takeaway for that poster even in the discouragement of losing: "yeah, we lost, but I called it."

What does the "trap game" idea suggest about the Seahawks players and coaches? That they don't take another NFL team seriously enough to train hard, prepare well, game-plan specifically?

The only time this might be the case is if a team has a shorted week due to a Thursday night game. And that's just time for preparation, not a psychological issue per se.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1x7h26or said:
SoulfishHawk":1x7h26or said:
So, are we gonna' hear the term "Trap Game" every time we play a lesser opponent? :mrgreen:

Probably, because then the poster looks intelligent if we lose; thus there is a positive takeaway for that poster even in the discouragement of losing: "yeah, we lost, but I called it."

What does the "trap game" idea suggest about the Seahawks players and coaches? That they don't take another NFL team seriously enough to train hard, prepare well, game-plan specifically?

The only time this might be the case is if a team has a shorted week due to a Thursday night game. And that's just time for preparation, not a psychological issue per se.

We've committed or nearly committed enough dumb losses over the years to where the sentiment is understandable.

Even in 2013, we almost lost to the winless Bucs and the lowly Titans and Texans.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ut506jy said:
Ad Hawk":2ut506jy said:
SoulfishHawk":2ut506jy said:

We've committed or nearly committed enough dumb losses over the years to where the sentiment is understandable.

Even in 2013, we almost lost to the winless Bucs and the lowly Titans and Texans.

I agree that psychologically fans might argue this. But we've also lost to good teams, mediocre teams and bad teams. Isn't parity quite real in the NFL even between good and bad teams? I guess it only takes one or two of the games you allude to in order to create this mentality of "trap game" where fans think coaches and players overlook bad teams.

A loss doesn't necessarily have to imply such things about the team, though, does it? Sometimes it's just a few lucky bounces, a tip here or there, or other fluky plays that determines a game. Sometimes the opponent guesses right more than has a counter for every move we make. Does a close win against a lower-ranked opponent still make it a "trap game" even though the outcome was desirable?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins, when with the (then) Redskins, beat Wilson and the Seahawks a few years back, at the CLink, with a late-game comeback, playing behind a 2nd-string offensive line. Cousins occasionally has games where he comes through. I think Cousins is 0-for-50 in "big" games at last check. Russell won't be taking a Kirk Cousins-led team lightly; Cousins beat Russell in college too, on a Hail Mary.

Anyway, if Russell and the Hawks take care of business, 0-for-51. The 50 is a made-up-number, but probably not too far off.

Own The West

Reaction score
https://www.vikings.com/news/nfl-week-5-expert-picks-seahawks-high-scoring-affair-on-snf

Vikings.com page where everyone predicts a one-score win by the Seahawks. I mean:

Pre-game win probabilities: Vikings 26% — FiveThirtyEight.com
0 of 8 experts pick the Vikings, CBS Sports
0 of 7 experts pick the Vikings, USA TODAY Sports
1 of 6 experts pick the Vikings, The MMQB
0 of 10 experts pick the Vikings, ESPN

I can imagine the Seahawks locker room feels the same.

As far as calling it a trap, I called it a trap before the Miami game. Miami we should have dominated and for the most part we did. Minnesota is a better team with a bad record. Given this will be the first pound the rock team we'll face with Dalvin Cook, we might see a very lopsided TOP allowing only 6 or 7 Seahawks drives.

This team is not as young as some we've had in the past under Pete, but if 4-0 and pre-game predictions go to their head I can see this one getting away from them. That said, the Viks secondary is suspect so late game Russ heroics are certainly not out of the question.

TypeSly

Reaction score
The tale of twin teams. Potentially potent offences, with weirdly weak / strong defences. Weird as in, both teams are terrible against the pass, yet very strong against the run. The only thing is... We're the chosen twin, and they are the ugly twin. 5-0 Hawks.