The most intriguing Seahawk right now

Ruminator

Reaction score
Suddenly, one of the most intriguing players on the Seahawks' roster this season is CB #35 Ryan Neal who, after making the timely end zone INT two weeks ago, continued to make big plays plays vs Dolphins today that -- I have to say it -- made him look like the second coming of Sherman! Including an INT and a hell of a hit that would have made 2013's LOB proud. If Neal is for real, and with Adams at safety, this could be the reincarnation of half of the 2013 squad.

Fade

Reaction score
I usually roll my eyes at the fanbase hyping the kid who comes off the practice squad and makes 1 play, mainly by just being in the right place at the right time. But no, he looked legit out there today.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Ryan is from my alma mater... Southern Illinois at Carbondale, where I essentially spent my 20s from the summer of '72 until January of '81, at which time I relocated to Seattle.

In addition to getting two engineering degrees in Carbondale I worked full time for the city for four years in between the degrees. Great memories.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Fade":16mlsh6i said:
I usually roll my eyes at the fanbase hyping the kid who comes off the practice squad and makes 1 play, mainly by just being in the right place at the right time. But no, he looked legit out there today.

What qualifications do you have to roll your eyes at anyone’s opinion. In the past some of your write ups were good reads but anymore you come across as someone who thinks their opinion is the end all factual truth. Forgive us simple laymen.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Ruminator":1729e06s said:
Suddenly, one of the most intriguing players on the Seahawks' roster this season is CB #35 Ryan Neal who, after making the timely end zone INT two weeks ago, continued to make big plays plays vs Dolphins today that -- I have to say it -- made him look like the second coming of Sherman! Including an INT and a hell of a hit that would have made 2013's LOB proud. If Neal is for real, and with Adams at safety, this could be the reincarnation of half of the 2013 squad.

Was I in a coma for a week? Did we beat Minny?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Agree Neal has been a refreshing surprise. I don't think his int was all that impressive in that we had like 4 guys there and at least 3 of them had a good shot at that pick. But Neal is the one who put himself in the best position to get it and he got it! So there's that. It's been his steadily good play on the field that I find most encouraging. He sure enough looks like a player. Same for Amadi. Those guys are ballin' and both good hitters. Having said that, I sure wish we had all our starters available. If they were I doubt we'ld be seeing all these easy yards piling up against us in the secondary.

The Breh

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":bejpyfd8 said:
Ruminator":bejpyfd8 said:

You were in a coma.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ryan is the type of guy that played well in College and was given a chance but seems never seriously considered, Pete is different that way, he has size 6'3 and seems smart and humble based on his interview, he could be a guy that sticks around after we get Adams back, plus he has shown he can catch the ball.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
The Breh":wtxzxqx2 said:
Hockey Guy":wtxzxqx2 said:
Ruminator":wtxzxqx2 said:

You were in a coma.

goddamnit, I was afraid of that.

rcaido

Reaction score
For me is that #3 guy. He is a bit short but has been pretty impressive.

HawkerD

Reaction score
a couple of guys down the depth chart (neal and umadi) have really contributed. it must be that they don't get afforded chances in practice otherwise I have to question the coaches ability to assess talent. Lano Hill, Tre Flowers, continue to get reps when they aren't the better players.

I am glad Ugo and Ryan are making the most of this opportunity. If I recall Sherman can in when Thurman was injured and became an All-Pro.

Next man up

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The read and hit on the screen pass is the only thing of interest that he's done so far. His two picks were gifts.

But the season is young.

olyfan63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2xyfbwws said:
The read and hit on the screen pass is the only thing of interest that he's done so far. His two picks were gifts.

But the season is young.

You still have to actually CATCH the picks. What if Darren Smith had DROPPED the pick in 2013 NFCCG??!!
We have seen so many NFL DBs and LBs drop picks that were in their hands, and just roll our eyes and say, "I guess that's why he plays Defense and NOT on offense..."

Neal has been a pleasant surprise.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love seeing a guy making the most of an opportunity. Pete does a very good job at pushing the next man up mentality. Shoot, I'd rather have him in there than Hill to be honest.

Another guy who has impressed is David Moore. He has made a lot of huge plays for this team. Pleasantly surprised at how solid he is playing.

HawkerD

Reaction score
olyfan63":1o96ud9s said:
MontanaHawk05":1o96ud9s said:

But the season is young.

You still have to actually CATCH the picks. What if Darren Smith had DROPPED the pick in 2013 NFCCG??!!
We have seen so many NFL DBs and LBs drop picks that were in their hands, and just roll our eyes and say, "I guess that's why he plays Defense and NOT on offense..."

My thoughts exactly! A lot of defenders decline those gifts.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
rcaido":3hkhj67w said:
For me is that #3 guy. He is a bit short but has been pretty impressive.

Nah....he's too short and can't carry a team if he had to win a game with his arm. :sarcasm_off:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I've already seen enough out of Neal to put him ahead of Hill on the depth chart.

He's quicker, he hits harder and he seems like he has better ball hawking instincts. Even in a short two game sample size, the dude's around the ball a LOT.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkerD":2jtvajue said:
olyfan63":2jtvajue said:
MontanaHawk05":2jtvajue said:

But the season is young.

My thoughts exactly! A lot of defenders decline those gifts.

It was Malcolm Smith, not Darren. And you're kind of proving my point, Smith is currently on his fifth team since getting that pick.

Full credit to Neal for making those heads-up plays, but there's really no denying that a pick made out of good coverage, or a nicely timed break on the ball, is more indicative of starting-level talent than a pick made off a wounded-duck Dak hail mary, or a deflection that just happens to come in your direction. Neal's on his third team since getting signed as a UDFA. Usually guys that make such splash plays straight off the practice squad are making mistakes in a lot of other ways, whiffing coverages, being constantly out of position, stuff that we never see.

The screen pass is probably a better sign that Pete and John have something in this guy. Whatever the case, we have an immensely deep secondary.