Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/1313181888928833536[/tweet]

Conventional statistics are at odds with PFF's opinion of the Seattle defense

chris98251

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":283yaok1 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/1313181888928833536[/tweet]

Conventional statistics are at odds with PFF's opinion of the Seattle defense

In laymen's terms, all defenses look bad right now for some reason, look at the scores and games also.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And when a team holds an offense to ONE touchdown in garbage time, as well as getting 2 picks, and could have easily been 4 or 5? It certainly was better and the D looked a lot more prepared. And that's with a lot of injuries. I am fully aware at how bad the pass D has been. Anyone with eyes can see it.

ballard1951

Reaction score
Our defense played well, especially considering the high temperatures, and the fact that they was kept on the field six minutes longer than the Dolphins' defense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And to me, anytime you keep a team to ONE touchdown in garbage time, that's a pretty solid performance.

PNW

Reaction score
I loved mostly everything I saw on D except Cody Barton.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
It figured our defense should have had a better performance vs Miami, who was the least daunting opponent we have faced to date...except that we came in sporting just a long list of injuries from our roster of starters. Our guys did a very good job under the circumstances.
Had we had Adams, Blaire, and Dunbar on hand in the secondary Jammer's prediction might have won that contest. Or maybe our next-man-up guys really are exactly as good as they looked! Ya think?

Palpitation

Reaction score
PNW":2v4uecwq said:
I loved mostly everything I saw on D except Cody Barton.

Barton looked like he gave up on that escaped tackle. Flowers is still a liability, but the secondary could be very good if healthy and a modest pass rush from the d-line.

Good discusion at work today on whether defenses overall are impacted more than the O due to fewer/0 fans. Consensus was probably, all based on subjective dialogue at the water cooler.

John63

Reaction score
the Defense seems to be a mixed bag. At times they look really good, other times not so much. However, seems the dame can be said of most defenses right now

Ozzy

Reaction score
They played better but I seriously doubt they’re better than 25 other units. When they get everyone healthy they could take a big jump.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It's one of those "opportunistic" defenses. Buzz word.

We don't face a respectable passing offense again until Week 9. Time to get Adams healthy, Dunbar finally up to speed, and Diggs out of whatever hole he's in.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
austinslater25":2jx9n9g3 said:
They played better but I seriously doubt they’re better than 25 other units. When they get everyone healthy they could take a big jump.

Just watched the Monday night games and no one can cover and no one has a healthy secondary. It’s epidemic.

In the end, the best defense is the one that keeps the opposition from scoring more than their offense can score.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Lots to be optimistic about when putting things in the context of defense being unilaterally less effective throughout the league. Going to be very interesting to see which units start tightening things up and how this group progresses against the rest of the league.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Let's see what the various Defenses look like come December. That's "where the rubber meets the road". In the past, the Hawks have come together in December.

hawks85

Reaction score
First off, PFF has us ranked 12th best Defense not 7th. Second, I don't buy it for one second, the pass D and overall D has been beyond terrible since Norton has been DC. That defensive scheme isn't working with this team. Fitzpatrick still lit the D up yesterday with over 300 yards passing. Norton needs to go, and go back to a LB coach, and Seattle needs to figure out that EFF is wrong with the D, and get it fixed with another D-coord. It's only 4 games in. They can bring in another 4-3 defensive Coord.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Lighten up man, he did not light up the Hawks. They had ONE touchdown in garbage time, and it was a run. He threw 2 picks and ZERO touchdown passes. He could have easily been picked 3 more times.
Dear god, they have a decent game, and many still wanna' blast them. They will get better, suck it up. The consistent whining is getting old. Yes, they are not a good Defense, we all get it already.
Let's just ignore the fact that Adams and Dunbar missed the game. Or that Irvin and Blair are done for the season. Because I'm sure that has NO impact at all :?
That's 4 starters right there. Not one, 4.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
There's actually one thing the D is doing better than last year and that's getting picks. 6 so far this year (2nd in the league) and I looked up last year - 16 total.
And the offence is cashing in. 4 picks were turned into TDs and 2 snuffed out opposing drives in the end-zone.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":18stvi0d said:
austinslater25":18stvi0d said:

Just watched the Monday night games and no one can cover and no one has a healthy secondary. It’s epidemic.

In the end, the best defense is the one that keeps the opposition from scoring more than their offense can score.

The Chiefs gave up 172 passing yards with a 4.4 yard per attempt average and took away three interceptions. They gave up 10 points.

The Packers gave up 249 passing yards with a 5.8 yard per attempt average. They gave up 16 points.

The Seahawks average across four games is just over 400 yards per game allowed with a 7.8 yard average per attempt. They gave up an average of over 27 points.

These two games do not demonstrate an "epidemic" at all, especially compared to what the Seahawks defense is allowing.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":pgnsgahl said:
Let's see what the various Defenses look like come December. That's "where the rubber meets the road". In the past, the Hawks have come together in December.

Not last year; they gave up 27 PPG after that Philly game. I hope they find the formula this year to at least be average by December. The last game gave a glimpse of hope of them pulling it together.