Perspective on Homer

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I get that everyone is down on him. He isn't a great pure rusher. So, why is he in so often?

Final drive is a great example. The offense is obviously very different this year in that it is being run through the pass game. Homer is the best pass protection back on the roster. With the team checking into pass plays so often, his blocking more than likely adds more value than his rushing prowess subtracts vs. another back.

There's a reason he was out there - his blocking really helped them when the game was on the line. It just isn't as visible as his lack of pure rushing talent.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
mikeak":2l0hlgi1 said:
https://twitter.com/byalistaircorp/status/1315496232987455488?s=19

This agrees with that point

That's the play that stood out to me. I know he's generally a good pass protection back, but I loved what he did there. I'm sure he did well throughout the entire drive, although admittedly I'd have to go back to be sure.

KillerB

Reaction score
Homer is not very useful between the tackles but as an outlet and in pass pro he is solid. He can make a living doing what he's doing, plus special teams.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
KillerB":27ys8uv0 said:
Homer is not very useful between the tackles but as an outlet and in pass pro he is solid. He can make a living doing what he's doing, plus special teams.

Yep. Need a utility guy like him on your team. He has value.

Plus, his rushing woes are overblown. He has 15 carries on the season for 58 yards. Not like they're force-feeding the guy.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Homer is fantastic as a pass protector.

He was instrumental in keeping guys off Russ in that 4th down play.

We just need to stop using him to RUN when we need to score.

By all means, run him on 2nd and short. Or pass to him.

And keep him in to pass protect OR chip and go out for a pass in the flat. But don't freaking ever allow him to run the ball in a drive you cannot afford to punt in. He puts your offense in a hole because he will not get decent yardage and is never a threat to get a big pickup until he goes wide against a very slow defense.

But in pass pro he is money. I love love his aggressive pass blocking.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2lom8pv7 said:
Homer is fantastic as a pass protector.

He was instrumental in keeping guys off Russ in that 4th down play.

We just need to stop using him to RUN when we need to score.

By all means, run him on 2nd and short. Or pass to him.

And keep him in to pass protect OR chip and go out for a pass in the flat. But don't freaking ever allow him to run the ball in a drive you cannot afford to punt in. He puts your offense in a hole because he will not get decent yardage and is never a threat to get a big pickup until he goes wide against a very slow defense.

But in pass pro he is money. I love love his aggressive pass blocking.

I don't think they're really feeding him in must-score drives. Those are generally operated primarily through the air. Otherwise, you gotta rush him from time to time as to not telegraph the upcoming play. He's not a great rusher, but he really isn't as terrible as he's made out to be. Averaging about 4 per carry... I think he's worthy as the RB2 while Hyde and Penny are out.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Whether running the ball or blocking rushers, Homer just can't shake off defenders.

One is an asset.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Disgree.

For play action to work, it has been proven you do not have to have an effective rushing threat.

The defenders will still hesitate for just a split second, because of years of training.

But if you want to run Homer, you have to be content with effectively playing like it is 3 down football instead of 4. He will give you nothing.

BUT

Homer needs to be on the field.

The big pass at 1:14 to Metcalf that put us almost in the RZ? A Viking (#20) had Wilson dead to rights on a blitz and then Homer comes in and smashes him. The pass never happens without Homer.

I hate when he runs. But those big plays never happen without the stellar job he does keeping defenders off Wilson. Heck, even the pass to Lockett near the end - he engages #50 quick. I love how he doesn't wait for the defender to come to him, he aggressively looks to engage the biggest threat.

He stops the safety blitz and sets Wilson up to burn it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":oibyzaa1 said:
Disgree.

For play action to work, it has been proven you do not have to have an effective rushing threat.

The defenders will still hesitate for just a split second, because of years of training.

But if you want to run Homer, you have to be content with effectively playing like it is 3 down football instead of 4. He will give you nothing.

BUT

Homer needs to be on the field.

The big pass at 1:14 to Metcalf that put us almost in the RZ? A Viking (#20) had Wilson dead to rights on a blitz and then Homer comes in and smashes him. The pass never happens without Homer.

I hate when he runs. But those big plays never happen without the stellar job he does keeping defenders off Wilson. Heck, even the pass to Lockett near the end - he engages #50 quick. I love how he doesn't wait for the defender to come to him, he aggressively looks to engage the biggest threat.

He stops the safety blitz and sets Wilson up to burn it.
Great points, love the guy in protection and fake punts.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Want to bring this back up. Homer's blocking was sorely, sorely missed out there - his skill at picking up blitzes is key in a heavy passing offense.

Rat

Reaction score
Speaking of pass protection, what in the hell was Deejay Dallas doing on that OT play where Russ got sacked (or maybe just hit, I'm blanking)? He completely ignored the blitzer to meander off to the left and block nobody, leaving Russ on his own. Rookie or not, that was unacceptable.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
KillerB":ye2e4xq0 said:

Not useful between the tackles. Dude. Your just saying stuff you heard from some one else. In just this season I've seen him lay people down. Including budda Baker on a heat seeker helmet Clapper!

Still alot of haters on him. I've been arguing with people since last season who claim he cant run yet gets 3 Carries a game maybe. Please..

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Rat":3hlz0y2x said:
Speaking of pass protection, what in the hell was Deejay Dallas doing on that OT play where Russ got sacked (or maybe just hit, I'm blanking)? He completely ignored the blitzer to meander off to the left and block nobody, leaving Russ on his own. Rookie or not, that was unacceptable.

Dont forget the best part...dallas "meandered" passed that defender basically face to face. Stomach to stomach. Nuts to nuts. Gosh I hope he doesnt say I didnt see em.