My Only Ref Gripe

vonstout

Reaction score
Agree completely that was a huge missed call, but the personal foul on Wags was just as bad IMO. That was a third and long that would have resulted in the Hawks getting the ball in great field position with a 10 point lead. On the leverage call, the rule says jumping or stepping on another player to block or attempt to block a kick is a penalty. It's hard to say any player on the line isn't trying to block the kick, but Moyowa didn't put his arm up, use his knee or foot to jump up, he just rolled on his back. The wording in the rule book should state that you can't try to jump over the OL period if they are going to call that penalty. He rolled over him and fell on the ground. I still think that was a terrible call.

TypeSly

Reaction score
vonstout":33d737u3 said:
Agree completely that was a huge missed call, but the personal foul on Wags was just as bad IMO. That was a third and long that would have resulted in the Hawks getting the ball in great field position with a 10 point lead. On the leverage call, the rule says jumping or stepping on another player to block or attempt to block a kick is a penalty. It's hard to say any player on the line isn't trying to block the kick, but Moyowa didn't put his arm up, use his knee or foot to jump up, he just rolled on his back. The wording in the rule book should state that you can't try to jump over the OL period if they are going to call that penalty. He rolled over him and fell on the ground. I still think that was a terrible call.

Agreed. 15 yard penalties are usually reserved for plays where a player blatantly disregards the rules, endangering others or blatantly disrespects players, refs, coaches, fans, or just the integrity of the game. But a Seahawk gets a 15-yarder for "leverage" :roll: when he barely touched the guy, trying to jump over him. Not to mention, at a pivotal point in the game too. It should have been just a typical offside call, which would have been declined, since they hit that field goal... But no, the refs have to give them a chance to turn 3pts in to 7... which of course they did.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
The Leverage call was ridiculous, and so was the call on Bobby. The timing of it both were so egregious, if I were the league I'd start monitoring those refs' bank accounts.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
vonstout":2873irs0 said:

The penalty on Wags was one of the worst I have ever seen.

I just don't know how you throw that. I wonder if the offending ref thought Bobby hit him with his helmet or something....that's the only justification I can think of.....and if that was the case, the other refs should have stepped in and overruled him. immediately.

Just an absolute failure from an officiating standpoint right there.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I'm still shocked Kirkpatrick didn't get a PI on Tyler's 4th down TD. Clearly pushing Tyler towards the back of the end zone. This arm was extended and moving Tyler. That and the fact the ref tried to change the call to no catch, total BS!

TypeSly

Reaction score
Let's give BWags a 15 yard penalty on a perfectly timed, clean tackle... and look the other way on a clear helmet-to-helmet on Homer! :2thumbs:

rcaido

Reaction score
Yup those were 3 calls that were so crucial to the game, would make any team have doubts zebras getting paid.

3rd down Bobby no call
15 yard penalty on the FG
changing the td to incomplete while also not calling a PI

Helmet to helmet one was brutal too.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, it changed the entire game. Bobby times it perfectly, wasn't a cheap or late shot. Would have been 3 and out with great field position. Also, how in the hell do they miss the BLATANT helmet to helmet later on by Baker? Ridiculous.
That being said, they lost this one as a TEAM. Russ made a couple really really bad decisions, even though he was nails for a large part of the game.
The defense was brutal when it counted. But hey, they have been winning most of their close games, they were due to pee down their legs. I'm making zero excuses, they gave this one away, had no business losing this game.
Also, the play calling in OT was pathetic. Arizona starts blitzing, call a damn quick crossing route. OR, get a damn first down on 3rd and short in regulation and game is over.

But, 5-1, still in first place, on to next week. IF they don't get Adams back AND add a pass rusher, I gotta' be honest, my confidence goes way down. And I'm clearly one of the glass half full types who gets called a homer a lot.
And NO, I'm not saying this team isn't a contender, but I'm also not ignoring the fact that pass rush is a MASSIVE issue that must be fixed, period.

vonstout

Reaction score
I agreed with the holding call on Moore, but if you agree with that call, I think you have to call offensive PI on Hopkins when he pushed off to create separation on an otherwise beautiful play and throw.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
vonstout":398bq772 said:
I agreed with the holding call on Moore, but if you agree with that call, I think you have to call offensive PI on Hopkins when he pushed off to create separation on an otherwise beautiful play and throw.

That was textbook OPI. Full arm extension to create separation exactly as the ball got there. Should've been the easiest flag other than Moore's hold.

mrblitz

Reaction score
that call on moore might not have been made if the game were in seattle. it looked like home cooking. the refs have pretty much stayed out of games this year, but they were steering this one a bit. it looks as though the league office might want a 1-1 split between these two teams. ymmv