Cards loss in the past, can we talk about SF?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I see the teams as quite similar to our 10/31/19 matchup.

Except we do not have Clowney and while they don't have Bosa they do have a defense that held the Rams to 16 and the Patriots to a measly 6 (and one of those Rams' TDs was total garbage time). They also have Kittle. They also have Gould, their kicker back.

I'm not really sure how much we can do about this but I'll start.

Get Quem out of the rotation for this game. Yeah he played 40 percent of snaps in the last but did he really do anything other than spy Kyler? He couldn't lay a hand on him and JimmyG isn't that style of QB. He's gonna get it to someone like Kittle. Like we saw with the three Saints defenders, Kittle would just literally drag them along.

Get more real vets in there like Kendricks and Snacks, this week please. The 9ers are down a couple more RBs and 9ers are going to rely on them, or on Juice, and eventually JimmyG is going to have to pass more, not his forte.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2cl5xgr4 said:
Get Quem out of the rotation for this game. Yeah he played 40 percent of snaps in the last but did he really do anything other than spy Kyler? He couldn't lay a hand on him...

Dude. Really? Couldn't lay a hand on him...that's cold.

knownone

Reaction score
I don't think this game will be as close as last year. Last year, our offensive line struggled to contain Bosa and Buckner. Those guys no longer being there completely changes the dynamics of the match up. We should be able to move the ball on them, and, despite how bad our defense is, I don't think they'll be able to match us score for score.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
HagFaithful":2l4h7n6x said:
SantaClaraHawk":2l4h7n6x said:
Get Quem out of the rotation for this game. Yeah he played 40 percent of snaps in the last but did he really do anything other than spy Kyler? He couldn't lay a hand on him...

No hits or sacks on Kyler the whole game. And really I think that's what people expected, they just wanted Quem to get up in his face a bit and hurry him.

JimmyG however isn't that kind of QB and if Quem is in a track mode for any receiver chances are he gets drilled.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":27fvg7po said:
HagFaithful":27fvg7po said:
SantaClaraHawk":27fvg7po said:

No hits or sacks on Kyler the whole game. And really I think that's what people expected, they just wanted Quem to get up in his face a bit and hurry him.

JimmyG however isn't that kind of QB and if Quem is in a track mode for any receiver chances are he gets drilled.

I was more eluding to his birth anomaly...one hand. I guess he couldn't lay it on Murray.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
knownone":1mngpnjj said:
I don't think this game will be as close as last year. Last year, our offensive line struggled to contain Bosa and Buckner. Those guys no longer being there completely changes the dynamics of the match up. We should be able to move the ball on them, and, despite how bad our defense is, I don't think they'll be able to match us score for score.

Both our and SF defenses lack key players they had last year...and are possibly less than they were.

So that's forcing them to become more an offense-team, same as we are. If we can get Jimmy G to pass more, even try to scramble more, we have a better chance (esp with Adams in).

rcaido

Reaction score
SF strength is running
SEA weakness is pass defense

If SF tries to run all game, i think we can win the game. It all depends on Jimmy if he can make the throws w/ 6-8 yard cushion from Flowers.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I am actually worried we lose this.

SF just destroyed a NE team we struggled with.

They have injuries but a clearly better coaching staff. And this is a team that was in the SB one year ago.

Finally, they have a stellar TE - and shutting down TEs is a huge challenge for us even now.

The only reason we even have a chance to win this game is they are racked with injuries and we might have Wilson's Magic.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
HagFaithful":1rjb2dh0 said:
SantaClaraHawk":1rjb2dh0 said:
HagFaithful":1rjb2dh0 said:
SantaClaraHawk":1rjb2dh0 said:

I was more eluding to his birth anomaly...one hand. I guess he couldn't lay it on Murray.

Oh s--t. I seriously did not mean to refer to that, just to touching him.

LTH

Reaction score
SF has a awesome running game...We need some relief at DT or they are going to run the ball down our throats and control the time of possession keeping our O off the field similar to what Minnesota did... Im not so worried about JG although if SG is not back were going to be in a zone most of the game which isn't my favorite thing after the last 6 games...

I think Wilson is going to take his frustrations out on the 9ers...he will have a big game...

LTH

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
SF comes into this game with the same scenario the Cards did. They had a huge win against a team Seattle struggled to beat. Of course that means we face the same thing two games in a row. Both SF and the Cards are more balanced in power structure (O/D) than we are, which if heavily tilted to O.
6-1 will be a big challenge for our guys. But, what are the chances Russ dishes out 3 TOs back to back? Another barnburner in the making.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
With the outage and rollback now also in the past can we resume talking about them?

I'm esp concerned about the cb position because i doubt quill will be back with two issues. That means Flowers and you know Jimmy G is going to be picking on him with Juice and Kittle. Green's practice window has opened but no word yet on if he'll be deployed...or how much that would help.

What are our options for Sunday against this attack, because it is coming...

Somos doces

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1xgecwbc said:
I am actually worried we lose this.

SF just destroyed a NE team we struggled with.

They have injuries but a clearly better coaching staff. And this is a team that was in the SB one year ago.

Finally, they have a stellar TE - and shutting down TEs is a huge challenge for us even now.

The only reason we even have a chance to win this game is they are racked with injuries and we might have Wilson's Magic.
Is it, though?

Pro Football Reference indicates the Hawks have the third-best defense against tight ends in 2020 as far as yards allowed, ninth-best in yardage allowed, and they haven't given up even one touchdown yet. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/fantasy-points-against-TE.htm

Against receivers, though — yeah, they're a mess... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/fantasy-points-against-WR.htm