Playoff matchup possibilities

zchurch74

Reaction score
Can someone start a post that shows are up to the minute playoff matchups and seeding? If things stay the way they are now who would we play in the first round? Also, if we lose to Rams and beat the whiners who would we play?

In no way do I say we lose games on purpose, I’m just wondering when they start looking at first round playoff match ups.

skater18000

Reaction score
Quick Breakdown

Wildcard Round:
As things stand right now, Seattle would host Tampa Bay.
Rams would play @ NFC EAST winner

Divisional Round:
Winning that game would send us to play @ New Orleans assuming they could beat the 7th seed (most likely AZ Cards)
While the winner of Rams @ NFC EAST winner would play @ Packers in the divisional round.

If we won in New Orleans, the most likely scenario would send us to Lambeau to the play the Packers again... but this time it'd be for a ticket to The Super Bowl!

Rat

Reaction score
skater18000":3iv0k72q said:
Quick Breakdown

Wildcard Round:
Our reward for winning the division is Tom Brady in the playoffs, while the Rams get to play a team that finished the regular season .500 or worse.

Seems fair.

diver110

Reaction score
Rat":xeggp24n said:
skater18000":xeggp24n said:
Quick Breakdown

Wildcard Round:
Our reward for winning the division is Tom Brady in the playoffs, while the Rams get to play a team that finished the regular season .500 or worse.

Seems fair.

I would like to see a system where we ignore division winners and just pick the best teams. Exhibit A is this scenario.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Maybe winning next week isn't the best move.....nfc east/Packers sounds better than Bucs/Saints

Mostly joking.

El Caliente

Reaction score
Sorry guys, but speaking as a Saints fan, if the Seahawks or Saints are to advance to NFC title game we will need the Rams to beat the Packers. The league is in the historic franchise business, but they are also in the helping get fans in LA to buy in to one of those crap teams, so it’s the greater of two evils, and the Rams would win. The following week one of our teams would overpower the Rams, and we could advance. But it has to be the Rams that eliminate the Packers.

Now if either of our franchises want to win a Super Bowl we will face an uphill battle where we take on the league, the refs, a dominant offense, and State Farm. Patrick is the future of the NFL, the Lebron James of the league, and the league likes the green he brings in. To win a Super Bowl you have to defeat that behemoth.

I know that when healthy the Hawks or Saints can do anything, but in a year when the league needs revenue it’s hard no to see a GB/LAR vs Chiefs Super Bowl.

/tin foil hat off

onepicknick1

Reaction score
onepicknick1":y2bvjue3 said:
Judging by this I can see why the Rams would want to lose.

Who would you rather see in the first round Tampa or Washington?

iigakusei

Reaction score
There is a solid chance in order for the Seahawks to win the Superbowl they will need to beat:
Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Mahomes

Yikes!

Ramfan128

Reaction score
El Caliente":ugy2kpsd said:
Sorry guys, but speaking as a Saints fan, if the Seahawks or Saints are to advance to NFC title game we will need the Rams to beat the Packers. The league is in the historic franchise business, but they are also in the helping get fans in LA to buy in to one of those crap teams, so it’s the greater of two evils, and the Rams would win. The following week one of our teams would overpower the Rams, and we could advance. But it has to be the Rams that eliminate the Packers.

Now if either of our franchises want to win a Super Bowl we will face an uphill battle where we take on the league, the refs, a dominant offense, and State Farm. Patrick is the future of the NFL, the Lebron James of the league, and the league likes the green he brings in. To win a Super Bowl you have to defeat that behemoth.

I know that when healthy the Hawks or Saints can do anything, but in a year when the league needs revenue it’s hard no to see a GB/LAR vs Chiefs Super Bowl.

/tin foil hat off

Not much this season to suggest the Saints or Seahawks would "overpower" the Rams. I think both match ups would be coin flip games.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Rat":xhx94uh3 said:
skater18000":xhx94uh3 said:
Quick Breakdown

Wildcard Round:

Seems fair.

Well, with our loss to the Jets this is very unlikely to play out. In fact, Rams/Seahawks are a virtual lock to play in the first round:

Bucs - @Lions and Falcons - anything is possible, but they'll probably be 11-5

If Seattle loses to the Rams, they'd have the same record and conference record as the Bucs, but would lose on common opponents with losses to the Rams twice and the Giants, while both beat the Vikings and Falcons.

For the Rams, if we lose we'll have 6 losses, which puts us behind TB.

So, for either of us to actually get the 5 seed, we need the Bucs to lose one of their last two games. If they win both of them, it's theirs and there's nothing we can do about it.

The only way the Rams/Seahawks don't play is if the loser of our game also loses in week 17 or if Tampa loses one of their last two.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A playoff team should never be concerned with who they play. It's the playoffs, if you're not ready for any team that comes your way, you're not a contender.
Way too much time spent talking about who people don't want to face. Meh, bring it on. It's the Playoffs, no fear.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":292kpups said:
A playoff team should never be concerned with who they play. It's the playoffs, if you're not ready for any team that comes your way, you're not a contender.
Way too much time spent talking about who people don't want to face. Meh, bring it on. It's the Playoffs, no fear.

I tend to agree with this. My take is that if we are truly the best team, it shouldn't make any difference who we play. If we're not good enough to beat the Bucs, what makes us think that we're good enough to beat the Chiefs? For me, it's always Lombardi or bust.

The Breh

Reaction score
Rat":2tc4r5a2 said:
skater18000":2tc4r5a2 said:
Quick Breakdown

Wildcard Round:

Seems fair.
I'm sure our newfound defensive line and everywhere all the time freelancer safety would relish the opportunity to face statuesque QB.
Especially since said freelancing safety hasn't had shit for a team to play for against said statuesque QB during their time in the AFC east.
I'm sure Dunlap feels the same and they'd have the time of their lives.

RiverDog

Reaction score
There are two things I don't like about the new playoff format: The dilution of the quality of teams that advance to the playoffs and the trivialization of Week 17 games.

This funky, COVID affected season makes it even worse. Especially since games are being played in empty or severely reduced stadiums, the advantage of playing games at home has been severely diminished. Take our own situation: There's a good chance that we will be eliminated from any possibility of securing the lone first round bye that is available this season after the completion of Week 16 games. Under the old format, we would be very much in the hunt for the 2nd first round bye, so we would be pulling out all the stops in our finale with the 49'ers.

Since there isn't a whole lot of difference of being a #3 seed and hosting Tampa Bay in our 12-less empty shell of a stadium and a #5 seed and playing what some people would consider a weaker opponent like Washington in a venue we just got through winning in last week, it's going to reduce our Week 17 game to little more than a glorified preseason game.

So if I'm Pete, I'd be pulling Russell in the 1st quarter, resting guys like Bobby and KJ, limiting DK's snaps, and essentially mail it in. This situation is likely to be played out in multiple games across the league.

It would really suck if you bought a ticket to the Week 17 game vs. the Niners thinking it was going to be this huge, nationally televised pinnacle of the season game then find out that the contest is not much more than a scrimmage in game uniforms.