Draft A Potential Franchise QB In April

Scout

Reaction score
Hawks need to finish what they started. Keep building the lines like the Eagles, Bucs, Rams, 49ers, etc do. Outside of Safety and ILB the Hawks need to just load up on finishing building the OL/DL. From there you can decide to add a rookie QB on a five year deal which is very cheap and allows you to keep a competitive team during that time frame.

NoGain

Reaction score
Hawks need to finish what they started. Keep building the lines like the Eagles, Bucs, Rams, 49ers, etc do. Outside of Safety and ILB the Hawks need to just load up on finishing building the OL/DL. From there you can decide to add a rookie QB on a five year deal which is very cheap and allows you to keep a competitive team during that time frame.
I have to disagree. You have to allow for the fact that any time you pick a QB he could fail to be the guy. You have to give yourself time and some shots at it. Better to start sooner than later, especially when your QB situation is in flux.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I have to disagree. You have to allow for the fact that any time you pick a QB he could fail to be the guy. You have to give yourself time and some shots at it. Better to start sooner than later, especially when your QB situation is in flux.
He's on the right track. They definitely need to get better along the line of scrimmage. Especially the IOL. As well as building better depth along the D-line.

But if the right guy is available to you at QB, then you have to go for it obviously. There's also no point in reaching for one if you're not fully bought into him.

NoGain

Reaction score
He's on the right track. They definitely need to get better along the line of scrimmage. Especially the IOL. As well as building better depth along the D-line.

But if the right guy is available to you at QB, then you have to go for it obviously. There's also no point in reaching for one if you're not fully bought into him.
Sure, we have to continue to build in other areas. But we can't continue to neglect the QB position either.

renofox

Reaction score
To anybody who thinks we need to build the lines before getting a QB I have one simple observation and two simple questions.

Observation: PCJS have dumped loads of draft capital and $$$ into the lines on both sides of the ball for going on a decade and have had no success in building even league average lines.

Question 1: Do you have any confidence that PCJS will suddenly accomplish what they have continuously failed at, and why or why not?

Question 2: Is it your view that, assuming PCJS continue to fail, they should never take a shot at drafting a QBOTF? That seems to be what you are saying.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Observation: PCJS have dumped loads of draft capital and $$$ into the lines on both sides of the ball for going on a decade and have had no success in building even league average lines.
Have they?

If anything, they haven't made it a big enough priority.

They've spent draft capital on the O-line. But they haven't really invested much money into it. Evan Brown was a cheap 1-year signing. But the rest of the line are made up of guys they drafted. So, they've chosen to go the cheap route, as usual. Settling instead for replacement level starters.

The one investment they did make was trading for & extending Duane Brown. Which was a good move. But they haven't spent a ton of money on that group for the most part.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
To anybody who thinks we need to build the lines before getting a QB I have one simple observation and two simple questions.

Question 1: Do you have any confidence that PCJS will suddenly accomplish what they have continuously failed at, and why or why not?

Question 2: Is it your view that, assuming PCJS continue to fail, they should never take a shot at drafting a QBOTF? That seems to be what you are saying.
I just think they haven’t A. Been in the position to grab the guy they really like and aren’t willing to “take a shot” at QB and B. Figure there are still quite a few holes to fill while we have two above average QBs available (Geno and Lock).

I’m not sure what the right answer is. If JS doesn’t see anybody he likes or they’re unattainable, I don’t think you roll the dice.

But…that can be a revolving door as well.

Basically, I have no clue what I’m talking about but this certainly looks like the year to “take a shot”.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I just think they haven’t A. Been in the position to grab the guy they really like and aren’t willing to “take a shot” at QB and B. Figure there are still quite a few holes to fill while we have two above average QBs available (Geno and Lock).

I’m not sure what the right answer is. If JS doesn’t see anybody he likes or they’re unattainable, I don’t think you roll the dice.

But…that can be a revolving door as well.

Basically, I have no clue what I’m talking about but this certainly looks like the year to “take a shot”.
This is the right answer.

They very likely haven't identified someone who they we're willing to pull the trigger on.

Kenny Pickett, Desmond Ridder, Malik Willis? Do those names excite anyone?

It doesn't help that both the 2021 & 2022 drafts we're terrible QB drafts for the most part. Zack Wilson? Trey Lance? Mac Jones? Anyone??

As for this year? They likely didn't fall head over heels for anyone either. Trading up for Young or Stroud would have cost too much in their estimation.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score

This is where I’m at. I think it’s odd it’s just a foregone conclusion they will get the line right based on their track record the past decade. It’s been bad for a long, long time. Cross and lucas are a decent start but I’m still really skeptical.

NoGain

Reaction score
Have they?

If anything, they haven't made it a big enough priority.

They've spent draft capital on the O-line. But they haven't really invested much money into it. Evan Brown was a cheap 1-year signing. But the rest of the line are made up of guys they drafted. So, they've chosen to go the cheap route, as usual. Settling instead for replacement level starters.

The one investment they did make was trading for & extending Duane Brown. Which was a good move. But they haven't spent a ton of money on that group for the most part.
I don't buy this at all. They have not made drafting a QB a high priority even when they knew RW's skillset was diminishing. You can spin it any way you want, but they've only spent one draft pick (a 7th rounder) on a QB since they drafted RW. Hell, by all accounts JS wanted to move on from RW a few years before they traded him. Still crickets about the most important position in all major team sports.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think we know how this will play out. Geno is a Friend of Pete so they will keep him around no matter what. In order to justify that they will low ball Lock who will move on and then cry how they want “consistency” at the position to justify Genos overpay. They will sign a cut rate back up and draft a late round QB. Next year will be no better than this year and the same people who like the Not a Super Bowl Contender Shit sandwich they have been getting for years will get another year of it. Another year neither contending nor BUILDING a contender.
P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C & Juvenile Bashing ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think Geno has a picture of Pete kissing a goat in lipstick 💋. No way a real coach rides Geno a 3rd season? How does it go? To keep things the same, and expect a different result is insanity.
C-H-I-L-D-I-S-H^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This is where I’m at. I think it’s odd it’s just a foregone conclusion they will get the line right based on their track record the past decade. It’s been bad for a long, long time. Cross and lucas are a decent start but I’m still really skeptical.
Well at least you're looking/Commenting at it with an ADULT Point Of View, No Kissin' ass of the .NET NEGATORS who have QUIT and are constantly SNIVELING.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This fanbase is broken on a very fundamental level, and some real misery might be what we need to reset expectations properly at this point.

This elevated existential angst over being in football "purgatory" is wild, and it's depressing to think that so many view the state of the franchise in that manner.

You'll literally never love football again if that's the way you're thinking, guys. You need to embrace the fact that this is an incredibly unpredictable game and let yourself have a bit of hope without going off the deep end. Teams DO go on runs, and there ARE positives to be excited about with this team! There ARE pieces here that COULD catalyze a run, and there ARE avenues by which they could improve significantly in the offseason outside of massive moves at QB/wiping the entire organization. That is true whether they keep Geno, roll with Lock, or draft a true heir apparent in 2024.

If you cannot enjoy the ride unless the team is an outright juggernaut and a primary favorite to win it all before the postseason begins, you are setting yourself up for a painful relationship with the game. I bring this example up a lot, but the Ravens have felt that same "purgatory" angst for a long while between their 2012 Super Bowl win and their current ascendance, complete with the big quarterback extension and all. They were our mirror image of playoff drubbings, above-average regular season success, and a longtime head coach going through the "we're above .500 but we also haven't won anything meaningful in the postseason in a good while" routine.

Things DO change. Sometimes quite unexpectedly, sometimes quicker than you'd think they have a logical reason to.

I have no right to tell you how to "fan," but god damn. Do yourselves a favor, give your balls a tug if the above applies to you, and find the Football Gods again. Find the light. Find a way to enjoy watching ball again.

With that out of the way - yes. Again, it is a serious priority that they should be looking to acquire a franchise quarterback for the next era of Seahawks football. I acknowledge that as much as any of you do. With that being said, 2022 and 2023 presented little opportunity to do so outside of having the chance to spend capital on some iffy project guys, which hardly equates to "prioritizing the acquisition of a franchise quarterback." Just not the same thing. Yeah, you could take a volume approach, but a volume approach mostly gets you a rotation of backups or PS guys with a fairly small chance to recoup the capital spent on those backups. They're $2 scratch off lottery tickets that you're hoping will pay your mortgage, ya know? You're probably going to come out behind if you buy a bunch of 'em, but you might just profit... if you're lucky and willing to wade through the losses.

I reject the notion that we should build the lines further before attempting to acquire such a player. It isn't a perfect line, but it isn't a line chaotic enough to honestly put off acquiring a quarterback specifically to buy time to fix it. You can't alter big picture timelines or hold off on big picture decisions because of a momentary and fairly slight malady. We've got playmakers, we've got good quarterback-friendly coaching, and we've got a line that is a tier above "embarrassing" or "outright malignant."

With that said, I also reject the notion that a move should be forced simply because our fanbase is angsty about a perceived purgatory state. The move should be made when the feasible move is identified for the guy that John Schneider thinks is the guy. It's that simple, really. Do your best until that opportunity is identified and don't ruin the next era of football for this team because you rushed into a massive move for the wrong guy. And, yes - we'll have our chances until that opportunity presents itself. Will they be the constant contender type of chances that teams who have their own Mahomes are afforded? Nope, and that's okay, because we're all going to be looking for the same opportunity.

John knows the good ones when he sees 'em. He called his shot so hard that Russell Wilson's dick turtled inside of itself and he got Mark Rodgers to make a big stink about it. He called his shot so hard that he tried to get the Browns to take Wilson away so we could roll with Allen. If that's our shot caller, I'm waiting until he wants to fire.

GemCity

Reaction score
This fanbase is broken on a very fundamental level, and some real misery might be what we need to reset expectations properly at this point.

This elevated existential angst over being in football "purgatory" is wild, and it's depressing to think that so many view the state of the franchise in that manner.

You'll literally never love football again if that's the way you're thinking, guys. You need to embrace the fact that this is an incredibly unpredictable game and let yourself have a bit of hope without going off the deep end. Teams DO go on runs, and there ARE positives to be excited about with this team! There ARE pieces here that COULD catalyze a run, and there ARE avenues by which they could improve significantly in the offseason outside of massive moves at QB/wiping the entire organization. That is true whether they keep Geno, roll with Lock, or draft a true heir apparent in 2024.

If you cannot enjoy the ride unless the team is an outright juggernaut and a primary favorite to win it all before the postseason begins, you are setting yourself up for a painful relationship with the game. I bring this example up a lot, but the Ravens have felt that same "purgatory" angst for a long while between their 2012 Super Bowl win and their current ascendance, complete with the big quarterback extension and all. They were our mirror image of playoff drubbings, above-average regular season success, and a longtime head coach going through the "we're above .500 but we also haven't won anything meaningful in the postseason in a good while" routine.

Things DO change. Sometimes quite unexpectedly, sometimes quicker than you'd think they have a logical reason to.

I have no right to tell you how to "fan," but god damn. Do yourselves a favor, give your balls a tug if the above applies to you, and find the Football Gods again. Find the light. Find a way to enjoy watching ball again.

With that out of the way - yes. Again, it is a serious priority that they should be looking to acquire a franchise quarterback for the next era of Seahawks football. I acknowledge that as much as any of you do. With that being said, 2022 and 2023 presented little opportunity to do so outside of having the chance to spend capital on some iffy project guys, which hardly equates to "prioritizing the acquisition of a franchise quarterback." Just not the same thing. Yeah, you could take a volume approach, but a volume approach mostly gets you a rotation of backups or PS guys with a fairly small chance to recoup the capital spent on those backups. They're $2 scratch off lottery tickets that you're hoping will pay your mortgage, ya know? You're probably going to come out behind if you buy a bunch of 'em, but you might just profit... if you're lucky and willing to wade through the losses.

I reject the notion that we should build the lines further before attempting to acquire such a player. It isn't a perfect line, but it isn't a line chaotic enough to honestly put off acquiring a quarterback specifically to buy time to fix it. You can't alter big picture timelines or hold off on big picture decisions because of a momentary and fairly slight malady. We've got playmakers, we've got good quarterback-friendly coaching, and we've got a line that is a tier above "embarrassing" or "outright malignant."

With that said, I also reject the notion that a move should be forced simply because our fanbase is angsty about a perceived purgatory state. The move should be made when the feasible move is identified for the guy that John Schneider thinks is the guy. It's that simple, really. Do your best until that opportunity is identified and don't ruin the next era of football for this team because you rushed into a massive move for the wrong guy. And, yes - we'll have our chances until that opportunity presents itself. Will they be the constant contender type of chances that teams who have their own Mahomes are afforded? Nope, and that's okay, because we're all going to be looking for the same opportunity.

John knows the good ones when he sees 'em. He called his shot so hard that Russell Wilson's dick turtled inside of itself and he got Mark Rodgers to make a big stink about it. He called his shot so hard that he tried to get the Browns to take Wilson away so we could roll with Allen. If that's our shot caller, I'm waiting until he wants to fire.
I love most of this post but…I gotta admit…

“Russell Wilson’s dick turtled inside of itself” is by far my favorite part.

😀😀😀

12forlife

Reaction score
Well at least you're looking/Commenting at it with an ADULT Point Of View, No Kissin' ass of the .NET NEGATORS who have QUIT and are constantly SNIVELING.
Naw some of us are just realistic, and are sick & tired of average at best QB play. While listening to people try and defend Geno's play & Pete's decision making. Why should we be ok with an average QB at literally the most important position in all of sports?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Naw some of us are just realistic, and are sick & tired of average at best QB play. While listening to people try and defend Geno's play & Pete's decision making. Why should we be ok with an average QB at literally the most important position in all of sports?
Aggressively pessimistic and obtuse simplifications are not realism, and it's a serious societal ill that those things are constantly confused for one another.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Aggressively pessimistic and obtuse simplifications are not realism, and it's a serious societal ill that those things are constantly confused for one another.
Aggressive myopia is just as bad, if not worse.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
We have spent multiple 1st round draft picks along the lines and at skill positions over the last 10 years. Some have worked out and some have not. But it's time to spend one on a potential Franchise Quarterback. We need to take the chance.