Forgotten NFL stars of yesteryear: Offense

ivotuk

Reaction score
Forgotten NFL stars of yesteryear: Offense

Curt Warner

Working against Warner's Q rating: a 1984 ACL tear stripped away some of his form; the 1980s Seahawks were perennially good, not great; the franchise has employed an MVP running back (Shaun Alexander) and Marshawn Lynch; "Tecmo Super Bowl" buried Warner as a Rams fullback; there is a better player named Kurt Warner. But do not sleep on the OG version. Curt steered Seattle to the 1983 AFC title game and delivered another 1,400-yard rushing season three years later despite the knee injury. The three-time Pro Bowler was one of the 1980s' better backs and a copilot (alongside Steve Largent) on some quality Hawks offenses.

Terry Metcalf

Don Coryell's Chargers offenses receive more publicity; his first NFL head-coaching stay is rarely discussed. The mid-1970s Cardinals broke through amid decades of misery, winning the NFC East in 1974 and '75. Metcalf was those teams' top weapon and a highlight machine for a five-year period. While Metcalf was an elite fumbler (62 in six seasons), the running back/returner received MVP votes in 1974 and '75 for his all-around production. Eighteen of Metcalf's 36 career TDs were from beyond 20 yards, and his 2,462 all-purpose yards in '75 set an NFL record. The electric talent cut his NFL prime short in 1978, signing with the CFL.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... 9#slide_15

RiverDog

Reaction score
Another forgotten fact is that the aforementioned Terry Metcalf once played for Everett Community College while his NFL coach, Don Coryell, a.k.a. "Air Coryell", once coached at Wenatchee Valley College.

That bit of trivia might come in handy for a beer bet.

sutz

Reaction score
Ah yes, good long time Seahawks fans remember the real Curt Warner. :mrgreen:

He was taylor made for Ground Chuck. Typical non-contact blown knee from old school astroturf. :evil:

Damn he was something in his prime.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Curt Warner was my favorite player back then. I still own his rookie cards and those action toys. I forget the name of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts