Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rest'em or play'em

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Rest'em or play'em
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:45 am
  • We all know petes goin to play them, but do you think he will be a bit more liberal with substitutions, maybe like in the second half with a lead. Either way we're going to be the 3rd seed ?
    Cheers
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Re: Rest'em or play'em
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:48 am
  • I suspect that there will be quite a bit of scoreboard watching. I know that the players and coaches deny it, but I'd be shocked if they didn't in this case. If it looks like Green Bay is running away with things, then I expect Pete will be fairly liberal with his substitutions. Same goes for New Orleans. Otherwise if those other games look close, I expect Pete to play full out.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:49 am
  • No way, Pete's resting anyone, unless they're hobbled already. There's still a chance to win the conference, and resting players while thinking ahead has proven to be detrimental to teams who have done that in the past.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:52 am
  • All three meaningful games to Seattle take place at the same time.

GB/CHI, NO/CAR, & SEA/SF all have a kick-off time at 1:25 PM PST.

There's still so much more to play for for the top-3 seeded teams. Same is true to CHI, AZ, LAR, & TB.
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:54 am
  • Polaris wrote:I suspect that there will be quite a bit of scoreboard watching. I know that the players and coaches deny it, but I'd be shocked if they didn't in this case. If it looks like Green Bay is running away with things, then I expect Pete will be fairly liberal with his substitutions. Same goes for New Orleans. Otherwise if those other games look close, I expect Pete to play full out.

:ditto: Yeah, what he said. Unless we get a huge 2d half lead, or the other games are blowouts, or maybe both, I don't see Pete resting a lot of guys. If it's looking like the Jets game late 3rd Qtr, then yeah take them out.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:54 am
  • We have a chance at the 1 seed? Why would we?
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:55 am
  • Play them. All in.

We never lie down for the 49ers. Never!!
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:27 pm
  • Our rotation philosophy will remain exactly the same as it has been until we've taken care of everything that we can control in regards to the #1 seed.

After that, several players will be pulled & rested for the playoffs.

Yes, I used "our" & "we" quite liberally so deal with it.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:33 pm
  • I guess I'd see how it goes. I'd definitely keep an eye on the scoreboard, especially in the 4th quarter. We need the Packers to lose and the Saints to either lose or tie in order to get the #1 seed and one of those two to lose if we are to get the #2 seed, so if one or both of those teams are up by a large margin in the 4th quarter, I'd start resting players or at least not calling plays that are going to put Russell in harm's way.

It's not just about resting our starters. There's also some value in getting our backups PT.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:34 pm
  • Hockey Guy wrote:Our rotation philosophy will remain exactly the same as it has been until we've taken care of everything that we can control in regards to the #1 seed.

Haha that's funny because I want to use those terms on everything I write, but I have to consciously tell myself to write "The Seahawks" or "their" so that I don't get grilled by some on this board :mrgreen:
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 pm
  • TypeSly wrote:
    Hockey Guy wrote:Our rotation philosophy will remain exactly the same as it has been until we've taken care of everything that we can control in regards to the #1 seed.

Haha that's funny because I want to use those terms on everything I write, but I have to consciously tell myself to write "The Seahawks" or "their" so that I don't get grilled by some on this board :mrgreen:

You won't get grilled by me. I speak very possessively about the Seahawks as I feel that I'm a part of the team. I'm not ashamed about it.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:39 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:
    TypeSly wrote:
    Hockey Guy wrote:Our rotation philosophy will remain exactly the same as it has been until we've taken care of everything that we can control in regards to the #1 seed.

You won't get grilled by me. I speak very possessively about the Seahawks as I feel that I'm a part of the team. I'm not ashamed about it.

Thanks! I still use "our" or "we" all the time, but I try not to do it more than once per post. As for the grilling, I've seen it happen a few times.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:42 pm
  • Hockey Guy wrote:Our rotation philosophy will remain exactly the same as it has been until we've taken care of everything that we can control in regards to the #1 seed.

Hey, if you're posting on a team's forum, that means you have an emotional investment in the team. I don't see the issue with using "we" or "us."
    We're all fans of the team. We all feel like a part of the team.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:43 pm
  • Play em'...............until it's time to rest them.

Meaning if we get to halftime Sunday and either of the Saints or Packers game looks like a beat down and our chances are zero for the #1 seed, start pulling the starters out of the game throughout the 2nd half.

The reality is the matchup scenarios between who we play from the #5-7 seed, etc is negligible vs already having the #3 seed locked up. It won't matter.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:49 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:Hey, if you're posting on a team's forum, that means you have an emotional investment in the team. I don't see the issue with using "we" or "us." We're all fans of the team. We all feel like a part of the team.

Quite honestly any fan that has a problem with fellow fans using "we" and "ours" and "us" when talking about the Seahawks need to get over themselves. Every fanbase does it, and the vast majority do.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:50 pm
  • No matter what the scores are in the other games, if Seattle isn't winning against the 49'ers, I don't think Pete is resting anyone. Going into the playoffs with a loss isn't good for the players' confidence or their morale.
    TypeSly
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:27 pm

Don't worry; you're part of the team. You're #12. You just don't see the field as much as the other numbers.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:32 pm
  • For the life of me I thought the GB and NO games were early ones. Have to play the starters until half time I would say. All depends on whats going on with the other games.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:36 pm
  • Yeah, originally they were both the early games, but they bumped them to the afternoon a couple days back. Bummer really. I was hoping we would know before our game started.
    And I think most of of us say "we" "our" "us" etc.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:29 pm
  • No resting unless the game is well in hand.
    We don't need an out of sync team like the Dallas playoff game.
    Can't played scared about injuries either
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:29 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:For the life of me I thought the GB and NO games were early ones. Have to play the starters until half time I would say. All depends on whats going on with the other games.

The Green Bay and New Orleans games were originally scheduled for a 10:00 am PT start but were changed earlier this week to 1:25pm, same as the Hawks-Niners. I guess they don't want to give us an advantage in knowing the results of those games before the start of our own.

Regarding resting players, the Steelers have announced that they're going to sit Worthlessburger and start their backup. The Chiefs have locked up the #1 seed in the AFC and with the Browns losing to the Jets, Pittsburgh has clinched their division, meaning they'll get at least one home game. I think that's good advice for our team. Give Russell the 2nd half off and let Geno get some reps with the first team offense. The only playing time he's had all season was in the 4th quarter of the Jets game.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:31 pm
  • I find "we" "us" just an easy word to use when discussing the team I cheer for. Heck it's shorter than typing they or the team name. I don't think anyone who uses it is under the illusion they play for the team. lol. I would never use it like some fans doo when they troll players on another team after a loss saying "we kicked your butt" or anything like that.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:37 pm
  • Geeezzz...We hade the game wrapped up against the Rams and we were still running Carson ?? ..So what do you think..??
    slateman77
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:01 pm
  • Bakhtiari is hurt so maybe Chicago does have a chance.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:24 pm
  • TypeSly wrote:No matter what the scores are in the other games, if Seattle isn't winning against the 49'ers, I don't think Pete is resting anyone. Going into the playoffs with a loss isn't good for the players' confidence or their morale.

Neither is going into the playoffs without one of your stars who got hurt in a potentially meaningless 4th quarter.

I absolutely hear your point....but keeping an eye on the scoreboard is wise too.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:16 am
  • I say we rest them after the half rotating personnel in off and on to get them reps so it will be normal for the backups if they have to go in and take a position over. That is if you can get them off their microsoft Surfaces watching other games or cartoons on the sidelines. Bugs Bunny is a learning experience after all. Me TV mornings starting Monday.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:02 pm
  • Obviously Pete is going to try to win, but we have a number of situations where playing depth could be advantageous if we get to halftime and it looks like a win won't help our seeding.

Shell, Carson, Iupati, Olsen, and Hyde will be playing through injury if they do play. Meanwhile Ogbuehi, Penny, Simmons, Parkinson could use more gameday action.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:08 pm
  • Pete says this team is going for it but That doesn't mean he is not going to rest some players that need the rest...it's critical to have healthy Duane Brown and lupadi for the playoffs...I think both those guys need rest..

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:39 pm
  • LTH wrote:Pete says this team is going for it but That doesn't mean he is not going to rest some players that need the rest...it's critical to have healthy Duane Brown and lupadi for the playoffs...I think both those guys need rest..

LTH

Yes ! But.... Wouldn't that put Russ in danger (not that he's unuse to it being Russ and all) of a injury ? If you start to do substitutes you pretty much got to do a whole sale deal and I'm fine with that.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:12 pm
  • LTH wrote:Pete says this team is going for it but That doesn't mean he is not going to rest some players that need the rest...it's critical to have healthy Duane Brown and lupadi for the playoffs...I think both those guys need rest..

LTH

Chawker wrote:Yes ! But.... Wouldn't that put Russ in danger (not that he's unuse to it being Russ and all) of a injury ? If you start to do substitutes you pretty much got to do a whole sale deal and I'm fine with that.

What I fear is some DL or LB of the Niners that's on the bubble and playing for their job, not caring if they pick up a personal foul, goes low on Russell and takes out a knee.

If we do start Russell, if I'm Pete, I'm in Shotty's ear telling him no long routes and to get the ball out of Russ's hands quickly, and if at halftime the Saints and/or Packers are up by 3 scores, I'd put Geno in.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:37 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Play em'...............until it's time to rest them.

Meaning if we get to halftime Sunday and either of the Saints or Packers game looks like a beat down and our chances are zero for the #1 seed, start pulling the starters out of the game throughout the 2nd half.

The reality is the matchup scenarios between who we play from the #5-7 seed, etc is negligible vs already having the #3 seed locked up. It won't matter.

kinda negligible - but I'd definitely prefer #1 or #2 - I don't want to see the Rams again - which is who we'd play right now at 3rd seed.
    ddores
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:48 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Play em'...............until it's time to rest them.

ddores wrote: negligible - but I'd definitely prefer #1 or #2 - I don't want to see the Rams again - which is who we'd play right now at 3rd seed.

First of all, if the Cards beat the Rams and the Packers beat the Bears, the Cards would get the #6 seed and the Rams the #7 seed, which with us likely at the #3 seed, we'd play the Cards in the first round. Secondly, the Rams are currently without Jared Goff and will be starting a QB that has never played a down in a regular season NFL game. After having beaten their starter by two scores, I'd take a matchup against an inexperienced one vs. going up against the Cards and Murray.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:24 pm
  • With the Packers losing Bakhtiair and the Saints losing Kamara, neither of those teams are a lock to win on Sunday. If we have a shot at the 1 seed, we take it. Play everyone, roll the 9ers, and at the very least, we will stay sharp for the road ahead.
    Tusc2000
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:27 pm

LTH

You sit Brown and Iupati and you put Russ at risk. We play 'em Sunday like we always do. Play to win!
    Tusc2000
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:36 pm
  • Tusc2000 wrote:With the Packers losing Bakhtiair and the Saints losing Kamara, neither of those teams are a lock to win on Sunday. If we have a shot at the 1 seed, we take it. Play everyone, roll the 9ers, and at the very least, we will stay sharp for the road ahead.

Staying sharp for the long road ahead isn't the "very least" that could happen. Worst case scenario is that we lose a key player due to injury.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:36 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:
    Tusc2000 wrote:With the Packers losing Bakhtiair and the Saints losing Kamara, neither of those teams are a lock to win on Sunday. If we have a shot at the 1 seed, we take it. Play everyone, roll the 9ers, and at the very least, we will stay sharp for the road ahead.

Staying sharp for the long road ahead isn't the "very least" that could happen. Worst case scenario is that we lose a key player due to injury that might have been avoided had we rested him.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:44 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:
    Tusc2000 wrote:With the Packers losing Bakhtiair and the Saints losing Kamara, neither of those teams are a lock to win on Sunday. If we have a shot at the 1 seed, we take it. Play everyone, roll the 9ers, and at the very least, we will stay sharp for the road ahead.

Staying sharp for the long road ahead isn't the "very least" that could happen. Worst case scenario is that we lose a key player due to injury.

yeah i been worrying about Wilson all year that guy is tough as hell. He has taken some good hits this year..

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 am
  • RiverDog wrote:

You can't base your strategy on fear.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:06 am
  • sutz wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:

You can't base your strategy on fear.

Absolutely. It's the same rationale for Russ throwing a 40-yard pass on 3rd and 1. If you're scared, you lose.
    Tusc2000
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:46 pm
  • Maybe you could think about giving the back ups playing time in case they're needed in the play offs. :229031_shrug:
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:31 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:Staying sharp for the long road ahead isn't the "very least" that could happen. Worst case scenario is that we lose a key player due to injury.

sutz wrote:You can't base your strategy on fear.

That's not how I look at it. I look at it as a strategy based on logic. Meaningless game, no bye, players already hurt, backup QB in need of playing time.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:39 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:Staying sharp for the long road ahead isn't the "very least" that could happen. Worst case scenario is that we lose a key player due to injury.

sutz wrote:You can't base your strategy on fear.

That's not how I look at it. I look at it as a strategy based on logic. Meaningless game, no bye, players already hurt, backup QB in need of playing time.

It is not meaningless, it's about seeding now.

Oh and you do realize that games available and played are in players contracts as well for some along with wins and all the stats, sacks, yards, receiving etc.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information