Rest'em or play'em

RiverDog

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":24atwkzv said:
For the life of me I thought the GB and NO games were early ones. Have to play the starters until half time I would say. All depends on whats going on with the other games.

The Green Bay and New Orleans games were originally scheduled for a 10:00 am PT start but were changed earlier this week to 1:25pm, same as the Hawks-Niners. I guess they don't want to give us an advantage in knowing the results of those games before the start of our own.

Regarding resting players, the Steelers have announced that they're going to sit Worthlessburger and start their backup. The Chiefs have locked up the #1 seed in the AFC and with the Browns losing to the Jets, Pittsburgh has clinched their division, meaning they'll get at least one home game. I think that's good advice for our team. Give Russell the 2nd half off and let Geno get some reps with the first team offense. The only playing time he's had all season was in the 4th quarter of the Jets game.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I find "we" "us" just an easy word to use when discussing the team I cheer for. Heck it's shorter than typing they or the team name. I don't think anyone who uses it is under the illusion they play for the team. lol. I would never use it like some fans doo when they troll players on another team after a loss saying "we kicked your butt" or anything like that.

slateman77

Reaction score
Geeezzz...We hade the game wrapped up against the Rams and we were still running Carson ?? ..So what do you think..??

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Bakhtiari is hurt so maybe Chicago does have a chance.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TypeSly":35cu294y said:
No matter what the scores are in the other games, if Seattle isn't winning against the 49'ers, I don't think Pete is resting anyone. Going into the playoffs with a loss isn't good for the players' confidence or their morale.

Neither is going into the playoffs without one of your stars who got hurt in a potentially meaningless 4th quarter.

I absolutely hear your point....but keeping an eye on the scoreboard is wise too.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I say we rest them after the half rotating personnel in off and on to get them reps so it will be normal for the backups if they have to go in and take a position over. That is if you can get them off their microsoft Surfaces watching other games or cartoons on the sidelines. Bugs Bunny is a learning experience after all. Me TV mornings starting Monday.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Obviously Pete is going to try to win, but we have a number of situations where playing depth could be advantageous if we get to halftime and it looks like a win won't help our seeding.

Shell, Carson, Iupati, Olsen, and Hyde will be playing through injury if they do play. Meanwhile Ogbuehi, Penny, Simmons, Parkinson could use more gameday action.

LTH

Reaction score
Pete says this team is going for it but That doesn't mean he is not going to rest some players that need the rest...it's critical to have healthy Duane Brown and lupadi for the playoffs...I think both those guys need rest..

LTH

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
LTH":ae4qyny4 said:
Pete says this team is going for it but That doesn't mean he is not going to rest some players that need the rest...it's critical to have healthy Duane Brown and lupadi for the playoffs...I think both those guys need rest..

LTH

Yes ! But.... Wouldn't that put Russ in danger (not that he's unuse to it being Russ and all) of a injury ? If you start to do substitutes you pretty much got to do a whole sale deal and I'm fine with that.

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":vnf1akrz said:

LTH

Chawker":vnf1akrz said:
Yes ! But.... Wouldn't that put Russ in danger (not that he's unuse to it being Russ and all) of a injury ? If you start to do substitutes you pretty much got to do a whole sale deal and I'm fine with that.

What I fear is some DL or LB of the Niners that's on the bubble and playing for their job, not caring if they pick up a personal foul, goes low on Russell and takes out a knee.

If we do start Russell, if I'm Pete, I'm in Shotty's ear telling him no long routes and to get the ball out of Russ's hands quickly, and if at halftime the Saints and/or Packers are up by 3 scores, I'd put Geno in.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3876jiev said:
Play em'...............until it's time to rest them.

Meaning if we get to halftime Sunday and either of the Saints or Packers game looks like a beat down and our chances are zero for the #1 seed, start pulling the starters out of the game throughout the 2nd half.

The reality is the matchup scenarios between who we play from the #5-7 seed, etc is negligible vs already having the #3 seed locked up. It won't matter.

kinda negligible - but I'd definitely prefer #1 or #2 - I don't want to see the Rams again - which is who we'd play right now at 3rd seed.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fq06qpfu said:
Play em'...............until it's time to rest them.

Meaning if we get to halftime Sunday and either of the Saints or Packers game looks like a beat down and our chances are zero for the #1 seed, start pulling the starters out of the game throughout the 2nd half.

The reality is the matchup scenarios between who we play from the #5-7 seed, etc is negligible vs already having the #3 seed locked up. It won't matter.

ddores":fq06qpfu said:
negligible - but I'd definitely prefer #1 or #2 - I don't want to see the Rams again - which is who we'd play right now at 3rd seed.

First of all, if the Cards beat the Rams and the Packers beat the Bears, the Cards would get the #6 seed and the Rams the #7 seed, which with us likely at the #3 seed, we'd play the Cards in the first round. Secondly, the Rams are currently without Jared Goff and will be starting a QB that has never played a down in a regular season NFL game. After having beaten their starter by two scores, I'd take a matchup against an inexperienced one vs. going up against the Cards and Murray.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
With the Packers losing Bakhtiair and the Saints losing Kamara, neither of those teams are a lock to win on Sunday. If we have a shot at the 1 seed, we take it. Play everyone, roll the 9ers, and at the very least, we will stay sharp for the road ahead.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
LTH":37rdfd6r said:

LTH

You sit Brown and Iupati and you put Russ at risk. We play 'em Sunday like we always do. Play to win!

RiverDog

Reaction score
Tusc2000":18tc54df said:
With the Packers losing Bakhtiair and the Saints losing Kamara, neither of those teams are a lock to win on Sunday. If we have a shot at the 1 seed, we take it. Play everyone, roll the 9ers, and at the very least, we will stay sharp for the road ahead.

Staying sharp for the long road ahead isn't the "very least" that could happen. Worst case scenario is that we lose a key player due to injury.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":3589bhex said:
Tusc2000":3589bhex said:

Staying sharp for the long road ahead isn't the "very least" that could happen. Worst case scenario is that we lose a key player due to injury that might have been avoided had we rested him.

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":3i9poa3t said:
Tusc2000":3i9poa3t said:

Staying sharp for the long road ahead isn't the "very least" that could happen. Worst case scenario is that we lose a key player due to injury.

yeah i been worrying about Wilson all year that guy is tough as hell. He has taken some good hits this year..

LTH

sutz

Reaction score
RiverDog":29uryht0 said:
Tusc2000":29uryht0 said:

You can't base your strategy on fear.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
sutz":rt0wp3k6 said:
RiverDog":rt0wp3k6 said:
Tusc2000":rt0wp3k6 said:

You can't base your strategy on fear.

Absolutely. It's the same rationale for Russ throwing a 40-yard pass on 3rd and 1. If you're scared, you lose.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Maybe you could think about giving the back ups playing time in case they're needed in the play offs. :229031_shrug: