Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How will we re-sign our FA's with the salary cap going down?

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Carson will want to be paid. Keeping Jamal Adams will cost us a lot. I'm hearing as much as $20 million less per team on the salary cap next year AND adding a 17th game to help make up for lost revenues this year. Fortunately Adams is locked up for next year so we kick that can down the road another year. Franchise tags are expected to be an option that more teams will use next year. 2021 may have a lot of cap casualties, and a year ago who could have envisioned that?

Over the Cap estimates the 2021 salary cap will be $176 million, a decrease of $22.2 million or 11.2 percent from 2020.
    https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-salar ... d-decrease

The Seahawks have roughly $160 million in 2021 cap commitments (including $9.86 million for Adams' fifth-year option), according to ESPN's Roster Management System. That puts them in a better position than some teams but would still leave them without much space assuming anything near a $175 million cap.

And Adams isn't Seattle's only starter in line for a significant payday. Cornerbacks Shaquill Griffin and Quinton Dunbar become free agents after this season, as will running back Chris Carson.

https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seaha ... 020-season
    MO Hawk
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• Maybe Wilson will donate his next seasons salary . :D
    xray
    NET Veteran

• I guess we'll save some money on having fewer draft picks than ever before.

I think we'll get bargains on RFA tenders since no one else will be signing guys away.

I suspect the FA market will be depressed as well with many other teams flooding the market with cap casualties.

I rust John to put together a competitive team. It just may look different than this one which is too bad as I like a lot of the players on this team's roster.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• Mad Dog wrote:I guess we'll save some money on having fewer draft picks than ever before.

I think we'll get bargains on RFA tenders since no one else will be signing guys away.

I suspect the FA market will be depressed as well with many other teams flooding the market with cap casualties.

I rust John to put together a competitive team. It just may look different than this one which is too bad as I like a lot of the players on this team's roster.

:ditto: This.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I expect that a lot more free agents than usual will opt for one-year deals that pay less than their ideal salary, banking on making it up with longer-term and higher paying contracts when the salary cap (presumably) goes up again in 2022.

I also imagine that a bunch of Russ's pay next year gets converted to a roster bonus and spread out to reduce his cap hit. In fact, that strategy might be used for a lot of contracts by a lot of teams this time, depending on getting the money back later. You can kick the can down the road in a few different ways.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:I expect that a lot more free agents than usual will opt for one-year deals that pay less than their ideal salary, banking on making it up with longer-term and higher paying contracts when the salary cap (presumably) goes up again in 2022.

I also imagine that a bunch of Russ's pay next year gets converted to a roster bonus and spread out to reduce his cap hit. In fact, that strategy might be used for a lot of contracts by a lot of teams this time, depending on getting the money back later. You can kick the can down the road in a few different ways.

Yeah, it'll take some jiggering, but if anybody can get it done, it's John Schneider. :179422:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• sutz wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:I expect that a lot more free agents than usual will opt for one-year deals that pay less than their ideal salary, banking on making it up with longer-term and higher paying contracts when the salary cap (presumably) goes up again in 2022.

Yeah, it'll take some jiggering, but if anybody can get it done, it's John Schneider. :179422:

JS is amazing... It might be that he trades a high profile player like he did with Frank Clark to get some draft capital... as I remember it the Hawks had 4 picks that year and JS turned it into 11... Not sure who it would be...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• The Seahawks had 15M in dead money this season. So far for next season, they only have about $1M in dead money (BJ Finney).

Using the transition tag on Carson would only be 1 year 8.5M. Very affordable, and like you say, they don't have to worry about Adams' new mega deal until 2022.

Carson, Wright and Griffin are the only three big impact players from this season that are free agents. Everybody else is fairly replaceable.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:The Seahawks had 15M in dead money this season. So far for next season, they only have about $1M in dead money (BJ Finney).

Using the transition tag on Carson would only be 1 year 8.5M. Very affordable, and like you say, they don't have to worry about Adams' new mega deal until 2022.

Carson, Wright and Griffin are the only three big impact players from this season that are free agents. Everybody else is fairly replaceable.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Griffin...I would bet that Griffin will want to stay in Seattle and what kind of Money is Wright going to want? If I were Wright I would want to retire in Seattle but I don't see Wright as getting more than a 2-3 year deal with the Hawks... he had a PB year in my opinion...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I remember Fade insisting the cap never ever goes down when
    we were having the thread about paying RW over $35 million.
    With it going down $22 million or more.. :34853_doh: :pukeface:
    I don't want to ever hear that line of economics again :141847_bnono:
    Now RW can help the team by restructuring or we are screwed.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Bold - Current 53

34 Players under contract for 2021, total cap hit (including dead money from players no longer here) ~160M:
    player / cap hit / dead money

Russell Wilson $32,000,000 $39,000,000
    Bobby Wagner $17,150,000 $7,500,000
    Duane Brown $13,000,000 $2,000,000
    Tyler Lockett $12,550,000 $2,250,000
    Jarran Reed $13,475,000 $5,000,000
    Quandre Diggs $5,500,000 $0
    Jason Myers $4,350,000 $2,000,000
    Jamal Adams $9,860,000 $0
    Brandon Shell $5,500,000 $2,000,000
    Rashaad Penny $3,425,366 $2,057,352
    L.J. Collier $2,955,294 $5,416,814
    Jordyn Brooks $2,780,819 $9,897,024
    Carlos Dunlap $14,100,000 $0
    D.K. Metcalf $1,250,741 $677,654
    Tyler Ott $1,115,000 $250,000
    Rasheem Green $1,148,139 $228,139
    Will Dissly $1,082,567 $162,567
    Cody Barton $1,071,031 $442,062
    Damien Lewis $1,114,124 $843,897
    Ugochukwu Amadi $1,011,298 $322,598
    Michael Dickson $992,538 $72,538
    DeeJay Dallas $903,600 $370,800
    Alton Robinson $867,836 $263,508
    Colby Parkinson $947,610 $502,830
    Ben Burr-Kirven $935,730 $171,460
    Freddie Swain $812,353 $97,059
    D.J. Reed $920,000 $0

Marquise Blair $1,700,904 $1,277,872
    Darrell Taylor $1,537,389 $2,777,211
    Phil Haynes $1,022,718 $345,436
    Tre Flowers $994,681 $74,681
    Jamarco Jones $911,251 $61,251
    Travis Homer $885,840 $71,680
    Chance Warmack $850,000 $0

Free Agents 2021:

Replacement on IR but already signed for next year;
    Carlos Hyde (Travis Homer)
    Johnathan Bullard (Darrell Taylor)
    Mike Iupati (Phil Haynes/Chance Warmack)
    Jason Stanley (Tre Flowers)
    Damarious Randall (Marquise Blair)
    Cedric Ogbuehi (Jamarco Jones)

Restricted/Exclusive free agents (reasonable cost):
    Jordan Simmons (ER)
    Bryan Mone (ER)
    Ryan Neal (ER)
    Linden Stephens (ER)
    Kyle Fuller (R)
    Chad Wheeler (R)
    Poona Ford (R)
    Nick Bellore

FA that can be let go, replaced in draft (4 draft picks needed):
    Shaquem Griffin
    Greg Olsen
    David Moore
    Damontre Moore
    Quinton Dunbar
    Neiko Thorpe
    Branden Jackson
    Bruce Irvin
    Phillip Dorsett
    Josh Gordon
    Delano Hill

Now the problem, ~10M + 4 draft picks for R/ER free agents and replacements, leaves ~5m + 0-3 draft picks to re-sign or replace:

KJ Wright
    Ethan Pocic
    Shaquille Griffin
    Chris Carson
    Jacob Hollister
    Benson Mayowa
    Geno Smith
    renofox
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:I remember Fade insisting the cap never ever goes down when

In fairness, I'm guessing that statement by Fade was made before the virus hit? No one on the face of the earth could have anticipated something like that.
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie

• TraderGary wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:I remember Fade insisting the cap never ever goes down when

In fairness, I'm guessing that statement by Fade was made before the virus hit? No one on the face of the earth could have anticipated something like that.

Yes but he insisted that it would keep going higher and higher.
    Which is why you can never work the cap under assumption
    you don't know if something like this won't happen again.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• What matters is how the Seahawks fare relative to other teams. Every team is going to face huge challenges if the salary cap decreases and we are actually in pretty good shape compared to most of our rivals. It's going to be an interesting off-season for sure, but if you want to feel better about it look at some other teams.

The Rams are projected to be 20m over the current cap for 2021 with a $35m cap hit for Goff, $28m cap hit for Donald, $23m cap hit for Ramsey and $8.5m in dead money for Gurley. If the cap goes down they are going to have make some very drastic cuts.

The Chiefs are projected to be 13m over the current cap as they will finally start paying Mahomes real money ($25m) in addition to Clark ($26m), Hill ($16m), Mathieu ($20m), Fisher ($15m), Jones ($22m), Hitchens ($11m), Schwartz ($10m), and Kelce ($13m).

The Bears will be slightly over, the Vikings are projected to be 8m over with a 31m cap hit for Cousins, The Saints are hilariously over (95m!) with a very likely retirement for Drew Brees, Green Bay is projected to be 21m over, and the Bucs will have a 44 year old Tom Brady.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    TraderGary wrote:

JFC, people are willing to say anything to come to the conclusion that they were right in some discussion.

You must be extremely happy this global pandemic hit so you can now crow that you were right.

In conclusion, STFU.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran

• I wonder if they will waiver next year for the Salary CAp Limitations due to this situation and then come back with a better plan for the following year? Just a wierd thought. Probably could be done if the Coaches and GMs and upper NFL Management allowed.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Hockey Guy wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    TraderGary wrote:

JFC, people are willing to say anything to come to the conclusion that they were right in some discussion.

You must be extremely happy this global pandemic hit so you can now crow that you were right.

In conclusion, STFU.

You are weak ..Using kb to talk that trash
    gtfo
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Any surprise cuts?
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Jarran Reed could be cut to free up money but I dont see it as they are already week on the dline and still need to develop Alton more and have no 1st to draft there and had to basically redshirt Taylor this year. I know that Dunlap is owed 14 mill next year though, so maybe a restructure to extend him a year or two and drop his cap number down.

I dont know what KJ cap number is maybe he gets cut with the emergence of Brooks?

I dont see them resigning Shaq
    misfit
    NET Veteran

• Due to reduced Cap and the COVID 19 issue I would expect a lot of one year deals, the following season to be a explosion of longer deals back at market rates.

The players do not want to sign a reduced rate contract long term, but they know a one year deal to stay in a situation isn't the end of the world and know the situation.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, JS has had a good feeling about contracts and working the future as well as the now.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Contracts should be done as a percentage of the cap instead of hard dollars.
    irfuben32
    NET Rookie

• IndyHawk wrote:
    TraderGary wrote:

Would you let great free agents walk to keep cap room in the event of a once in a century pandemic popping up? I don't get the actual strategy that comes out of your statement if it's not that.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• I probably don't pay Shaq Griffin or Dunbar. Try and draft younger talent there and maybe pick up a vet somewhere.

I'd pay Adams and expect to pay a lot. Carson but only at the right price. Would try and get KJ and Pocic back. Not sure on Hollister, Mayowa or Irvin, depends on price. I imagine Olson retires.

I imagine they try and re-work Jarran Reeds contract or surprise cut him.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Wilson will restructure and put majority in signing bonus.

Ask Wagner to restructure if not cut him or trade.

Release Dunlap 14million and resign. Same for Reed.

Offer Carson 2year 10million per year

Have to let Griffin walk, we can get a good comp for him

Maybe offer kj 1 year deal, if we can trade Wagner.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

• rcaido wrote:Wilson will restructure and put majority in signing bonus.

Dude ur freaking me out!! LMAO!!!

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• AgentDib wrote:What matters is how the Seahawks fare relative to other teams. Every team is going to face huge challenges if the salary cap decreases and we are actually in pretty good shape compared to most of our rivals. It's going to be an interesting off-season for sure, but if you want to feel better about it look at some other teams.

The Rams are projected to be 20m over the current cap for 2021 with a $35m cap hit for Goff, $28m cap hit for Donald, $23m cap hit for Ramsey and $8.5m in dead money for Gurley. If the cap goes down they are going to have make some very drastic cuts.

The Chiefs are projected to be 13m over the current cap as they will finally start paying Mahomes real money ($25m) in addition to Clark ($26m), Hill ($16m), Mathieu ($20m), Fisher ($15m), Jones ($22m), Hitchens ($11m), Schwartz ($10m), and Kelce ($13m).

The Bears will be slightly over, the Vikings are projected to be 8m over with a 31m cap hit for Cousins, The Saints are hilariously over (95m!) with a very likely retirement for Drew Brees, Green Bay is projected to be 21m over, and the Bucs will have a 44 year old Tom Brady.

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully it will talk a few away from the ledge.
    If the cap goes down it effects all teams not just Seattle.

...and as pointed out a lot of other teams are in much worse shape than Seattle will be.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• The market will correct itself, and values will stabilize before long. There may be some initial overpaying, and I trust JS to avoid egregious overpays to set the team up better for when the market comes back in line with the cap.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• From PFF:

Shaq Griffin Prediction: Seahawks sign Griffin for three-years, $30 million ($10M APY): $19.5M total guaranteed, $10M fully guaranteed at signing.

Quinton Dunbar Prediction: Seahawks sign Dunbar for two-years, $12 million ($6M APY): $9.5M total guaranteed, $7.5M fully guaranteed at signing.

KJ Wright Prediction: Seattle signs Wright for two years, $12 million ($6M APY). $6 million total guaranteed, $5 million fully guaranteed at signing.

If Wright prices himself out, or they decide to trade Wagner's huge cap hit with Brooks ready to go, there's always good old Mychal Kendricks that can step in for cheap.

They could possibly go Everson Griffen over Dunlap to save close to $10M if need be.

DJ Reed, Dunbar and Flowers could be a decent group if Griffin prices himself out.

Cutting Jaran Reed opens up $8.5M. If they can somehow sign FA Leonard Williams to replace him....
    massari
    NET Veteran

• rcaido wrote:Wilson will restructure and put majority in signing bonus.

[b][/b
    This..I like it :2thumbs:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• I doubt Adams plays one snap next year without a deal

With that said an extension still kicks the can down the road
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:38 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information