Report: Carlos Dunlap to be released

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Was hoping for a restructure, but I don't think they are done with him or anything. Maybe this will be followed by a 2 or 3 year deal with a lower cap hit in 2021. He was a difference maker on a D Line that desperately needed it. He seemed to love it here too.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This is a foolish decision, they better have a strategy to replace him.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Dunlap is likely the only reason KNJ is still with the team. If you get rid of Dunlap please fire the incompetent defensive coordinator.

mistaowen

Reaction score
This better be to re-sign him at a longer but more reasonable deal. The defense completely changed when we finally had a legit LEO who could cause pressure without requiring 7 other people blitzing. If they plan to just go with Taylor as the guy, whew boy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The strategy might be re-signing him. No way could they afford to keep him on a 14+ mil. cap hit in 2021.
Now they can work out a new deal. I suspect they are going to work on something, and soon.
No need to jump to conclusions that they won't bring him back. Guys get released for cap reasons all the time, this isn't a big shocker. Now IF they don't bring him back, then it absolutely is a bad decision. But, I'm holding out hope that they do, w/out blasting the front office in the meantime.
Shoot, I'm just waiting to see how long it takes for this to somehow become Russ' fault too :mrgreen:

(relax, it's a joke)

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2m3ppm4z said:
The strategy might be re-signing him. No way could they afford to keep him on a 14+ mil. cap hit in 2021.
Now they can work out a new deal. I suspect they are going to work on something, and soon.
No need to jump to conclusions that they won't bring him back. Guys get released for cap reasons all the time, this isn't a big shocker. Now IF they don't bring him back, then it absolutely is a bad decision. But, I'm holding out hope that they do, w/out blasting the front office in the meantime.
Shoot, I'm just waiting to see how long it takes for this to somehow become Russ' fault too :mrgreen:

(relax, it's a joke)

Exactly. He is up there in age and cap. I hope he comes back. He worked well with our d and hopefully they can get him locked down for 2 or 3 years.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Touched on this one weeks ago. This was largely expected. It's very unlikely that any team signs him for close to his current salary. Seattle can still resign him, although I still find that kind of unlikely. At his age, he's going to go the the highest bidder.

I expected us to cut him. And to try to resign him (and fail to do so). And ultimately replace him with a cheaper UFA option.

It's the reality of the cap situation. He was a good player for us and won games on his efforts. He really highlighted the dire need we had at DE that was forecast before the draft in 2020.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Cap hit is too high. This is a pretty solid free agent pool on the defensive line - buyer's market. Should be able to get him back cheaper.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Assuming we cannot trade Wilson, other than naming Hyde as a starter, it feels like this news will make Jets' fans ecstatic to hear.

Dunlap came pretty close to saving our season, and took a pay cut to do it.

The bummer is he never got to experience playing in our stadium with our fans.

He earned that.

But again, if we don't find a way to re-sign him, that probably makes any Jets fan very happy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, don't care about the Jets, or any other team for that matter. Hawks are still gonna' win 10 or 11 games in 2021. Until I see differently, I'm not worried about it.

Torc

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this was the plan all along, and Dunlap knew it and was on board with it. He got out of the Bengals situation, had a shot at the playoffs, and now he gets to test the market. Really, it was a win-win for both him and the team.

That being said, I hope the Seahawks are able to bring him back. Definitely a player with a great motor and great effort, and he made a big difference.

massari

Reaction score
Everson Griffen signed for 1 year $6M last off-season. Would be sweet if they can get Dunlap back for that amount.

Erebus

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":19h9azvf said:
Assuming we cannot trade Wilson, other than naming Hyde as a starter, it feels like this news will make Jets' fans ecstatic to hear.

Dunlap came pretty close to saving our season, and took a pay cut to do it.

The bummer is he never got to experience playing in our stadium with our fans.

He earned that.

But again, if we don't find a way to re-sign him, that probably makes any Jets fan very happy.

Please explain. What do the Jets have to do with this?

AgentDib

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me but I don't see a claim that this has happened.

ESPN":1jv853v4 said:
ESPN's Brady Henderson believes it "seems likely" the Seahawks will release mid-season trade acquisition Carlos Dunlap.
This is not a report that Dunlap is being released.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Dunlap was the guy that made the defense go from a total joke to average. If the Hawks cant resign him, they better have a plan going forward.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Teams like the Bills can use him. They honestly should be on the phone now.

Not sure we can get him on the cheap, but losing him is going to hurt.

He became a bit of a fan favorite by end of year too.

Understand the #s are hard but this would be a bummer if we lost him.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Saints DE Trey Hendrickson 14.5 sacks asking price is 13 to 14 million per year! There is no market for Dunlap just like there was no market for Ifedi last year!

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":32olc910 said:
Teams like the Bills can use him. They honestly should be on the phone now.

Not sure we can get him on the cheap, but losing him is going to hurt.

He became a bit of a fan favorite by end of year too.

Understand the #s are hard but this would be a bummer if we lost him.

Not a chance! He’s a 3rd wave Free agent! If he’s lucky he’ll get 3-4 million a year. Dunlap won’t get anything but a Veteran Minimum right now when 3rd wave of FA roles around there won’t be much $$$ left.