Why are the Seahawks seemingly unwilling to release cap....

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
space from Russell Wilson's contract?

It would surely put to bed all rumours and allow everyone to move on?

The fact they released Reed rather than re up Wilson gives pause for thought.

sutz

Reaction score
Because they've already done that at least once, and it resulted in the problem revealed this year. By restructuring earlier his bonus number means he has that $39 miilion cap hit if we move him. Another restructure would just increase that, and besides, there isn't that many years left on his current deal to spread out further adjustments. It would take a real contract extension to really be able to do that. Probably best to leave that til when we know how the cap will grow back after covid.

:229031_shrug:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I heard from a reliable source it is because you only restructure people you plan on keeping around.

How is that one Jville? The key may be keeping it simple to start so it can grow the details on its own.

Jville

Reaction score
JustTheTip":1vn0x0tc said:
I heard from a reliable source it is because you only restructure people you plan on keeping around.

How is that one Jville? The key may be keeping it simple to start so it can grow the details on its own.

Works for me.

Although, anonymous sources might take issue with who is credited.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JustTheTip":194uxqta said:

True. Because if you defer more bonus to free up cap you're adding to future dead cap. So you'd only do that with players you're keeping around through the end of their contract (or at least who you're planning on giving future extensions to).

Bobby is the interesting move this off season. I can't imagine Pete and John want to pay him his 17.5M, nor do I think they want to keep him through the end of his contract, certainly not at 17.5M and 22M for 2022.

So extend him? Probably not that either. Only leaves cut and re-negotiate, but then you allow him to see if he can find another monster contract elsewhere......which might happen.

Not sure what the right answer is on Bobby. But either way, 17.5M is too much for me for 2021.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Unilaterally restructuring Wilson's contract to get more cap money this year will result in higher cap hits for the 2022 and 2023 seasons. This year his cap hit is $32 million. It's $37 million in 2022 and $40 million in 2023. Supposedly a restructure would save about $10 million against the cap this year and push $5 million to the cap in 2022 and 2023.

I've seen people talk about this like it is a no-brainer and act like it's free; it isn't. He'd at least be playing 2022 on a $42 million cap hit so they could get it closer to $22 million this year (the extension probably gets done during the 22 season so the 23 numbers are less likely to be as much of a consideration). That's a huge differential in cap space loss from 2021 to 2022.

It may or may not be a good move, but it has a cost.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Michael Lombardi “The GM Shuffle” podcast said this week all of the Free Agents Contracts are reported 20% larger than they actually are because the agents are reporting the details. That 20% is huge if it’s a factor in the Seahawk contracts. I was dosing off during the podcast so I might have missed other important details.

The SF trade to number #3 and Philly collecting another round 1 in 2022 while sitting at #12 in the 2021 draft is interesting.

The Watson fiasco is interesting because it could increase RW’s trade demand.

Seattle could pull the trigger for Darnold or Mariota add a 1st talent plus a Future QB prospect, add 1st round picks in 2022 & 2023. If things go sour in 2021 they could trade for Aaron Rogers in 2022.

The situation is probably fluid in Seattle with a loaded Philly at pick #12 in the draft. Setting Lawrence aside none of these QB’s are worth early round 1 money, SF is nuts and so was the Trent Williams contract, thank you SF!

Getting back to Seattle we want to draft our QB at the earliest round #2 if he fails the cap hit is minimal the round 1 pick could be used on LB or CB. They could trade back in round 1 and fill the roster but we don’t know how much COVID has hampered Schneider’s team.

Cap Flexibility keeps your options open and puts you in winning Situations vs chasing terrible situations like Rams & SF. Those teams out drafted us last few years but the choked in the final hour!

Rams & SF are suppose to be the ideal coaches to replace Carroll, their moves in 2021 will prove to be fatal leaving the Carroll doubters nothing to stand on!

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Wenhawk":18v7juf7 said:
Maybe we restructure Bobby's contract

If we get somewhere around 2 round 1’s for Bobby I think we need to bite the bullet & trade him. A round 1 for Bobby I’m staying out of it anything less no way it would be crazy.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":jszd8728 said:
Wenhawk":jszd8728 said:

If we get somewhere around 2 round 1’s for Bobby I think we need to bite the bullet & trade him. A round 1 for Bobby I’m staying out of it anything less no way it would be crazy.

With his contract and age I dont think you'd get anything near a first round pick. I say that as one of the guy's biggest fans.

knownone

Reaction score
From a long-run perspective, not pushing money into next season gives them a ton of cap flexibility in 2022 and 2023.

John63

Reaction score
hmm another thread full of conjecture and no facts. Though, I love more unnamed reliable sources which is another way of saying I am making crap up.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":18ibqdj8 said:
FresnoHawk68":18ibqdj8 said:
Wenhawk":18ibqdj8 said:

With his contract and age I dont think you'd get anything near a first round pick. I say that as one of the guy's biggest fans.

It’s out there, can’t remember where more than a first for Bobby! Several pundits have suggested it. Setting that aside I tried to frame my opinion based on Bobby’s value to us and last year’s performance.

We can see his moderate decline but he’s still one of the best defensive players in the league. We have Pete Carroll to figure out how to handle it.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Jville":32fgv9r1 said:
JustTheTip":32fgv9r1 said:

Works for me.

Although, anonymous sources might take issue with who is credited.

Can never keep everybody happy.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think you need to keep Bobby for the rest of his career. You need a leader like him to get the young guys to buy in. If they are players who are rewarded by their team it will motivate the young guys. I know it’s tough to swallow since he isn’t what he used to be. But it would benefit the team to have him on it. Maybe extend him a couple years and lower the overall cap hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
HawkinNY":slut8fie said:
I think you need to keep Bobby for the rest of his career. You need a leader like him to get the young guys to buy in. If they are players who are rewarded by their team it will motivate the young guys. I know it’s tough to swallow since he isn’t what he used to be. But it would benefit the team to have him on it. Maybe extend him a couple years and lower the overall cap hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s why he could be worth good picks. If they signed KJ he knows how to play all 3 spots.

potatohead33

Reaction score
My brain refuses to see a Hawks team with only one of KJ or Bobby, those guys are like peanut butter and jelly. Either they're both here or neither are here, IMO. I hope KJ re-signs.

Latest posts