Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can DK Metcalf qualify for the Olympic trials?

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Why risk an injury?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Getting off blocks for sprinter is an art, he has never been in track and field, he is fast, but so much is about the start for track sprinters.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• In 2017, Olympic sprinter Christian Coleman ran a time of 4.12 seconds on turf in response to claims that NFL players are as fast as Usain Bolt.

A year and a half after he retired from active competition, Usain Bolt ran a 4.22 in running shoes and a tracksuit at a promotional event for the Superbowl in Atlanta, Georgia on February 2, 2019.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Getting off blocks for sprinter is an art, he has never been in track and field, he is fast, but so much is about the start for track sprinters.

Yep. Getting out of the blocks is all technique and it doesn't happen overnight.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Getting off blocks for sprinter is an art, he has never been in track and field, he is fast, but so much is about the start for track sprinters.

He was a hurdler I believe
    misfit
    NET Veteran

• I don't think he'll get there, but I think he's fast enough to get closer than people think he will.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

He did run track. He was part of a state championship 4x100 relay, and did the 110m hurdles. Not that he'll be in the same class as an olympic athlete that does this for a living, but this won't be his first time in track and field.
    ryank24
    NET Bench Warmer

• There is "crazy fast" and than there is "track fast". I hope he has fun and this training can only make him faster on the field but he will be close to last in every race.
    Spohawks
    NET Bench Warmer

• Not a chance, but I will tune in to see what he can do.

Now this guy could do it.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• UK_Seahawk wrote:Why risk an injury?

This.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:Why risk an injury?

This.

Because they are not machines and are allowed to have interests other than football. Even then, I would say that even though there is a risk of injury in a track event, it is very low.
    Nunya
    NET Rookie

• Why risk an injury playing football?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• I have no issue with Metcalf trying or anything, but please Lord, dont pull a hamstring or groin doing it.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Wow - I just don't even care if he wins!

I've got my PVR set for NBC tomorrow for the broadcast.

Gonna rep some seahawks gear, grab some popcorn and watch the sprint!

You're not gonnna win, but GO DK!!!!!!!!!!!! :0190l:
    ddores
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• Jville wrote:

I know I dont have the figure for it, but where can I get one of those sweatshirts dk wears? Or those purposely cut in half?
    theseahawkguy
    NET Rookie

• theseahawkguy wrote:
    Jville wrote:

I know I dont have the figure for it, but where can I get one of those sweatshirts dk wears? Or those purposely cut in half?

Probably Goodwill, then rip the arms off, then cut the last 12 inches off the bottom.

Or order a Short from the pro shop for around 50 bucks and tear it up.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Norcalhawklover wrote:There is one way he can make the Olympic Team and likely win Gold. I think I would be banned for posting it though, so you will just have to identify my meaning.

OMG...are you pehawk ? Nice try though . :D
    xray
    NET Veteran

• I don't think that that the track world fear him . Don't pull something or else . :D
    xray
    NET Veteran

• I plan to watch , just because I can .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Check your facts, DK Metcalf was in track & field in high school.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/o ... 988473001/
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Didn't qualify but ran a 10.36
    misfit
    NET Veteran

• misfit wrote:Didn't qualify but ran a 10.36

He finished last in his heat, 15th out of 17 participants. Those two sprinter that finished slower than Metcalf would be teased a bit by other sprinters lol. I was sure that he wasn't fast enough, but am impressed by his performance.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    misfit wrote:Didn't qualify but ran a 10.36

He finished last in his heat, 15th out of 17 participants. Those two sprinter that finished slower than Metcalf would be teased a bit by other sprinters lol. I was sure that he wasn't fast enough, but am impressed by his performance.

I thought it was pretty impressive. He looked 40lbs bigger than everyone else and his "last" place finish looked like he was only about 6 inches short of beating the guy in the 1st lane. He also kept up close to the front for the first 50m or so and only lagged after 75m. For a guy who doesn't train like a sprinter and for as big as he is, he is a pretty unique specimen. And he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders too. Some youthful mistakes notwithstanding, I think we have a possible HoFer in the fold.
    FattyKnuckle
    NET Rookie

• FattyKnuckle wrote:
    toffee wrote:For a guy who doesn't train like a sprinter and for as big as he is, he is a pretty unique specimen.

The training is the critical part. I don't know if he could really compete with the best if he trained for it for years; it's weird how specific a lot of these things are. Small differences in individuals really make a huge difference at the elite level.

But the dude is fast as hell for someone so big, definitely a freakish athlete.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• He had to haul about 15 plus lbs more than the rest of the field didn't he ? He didn't embarrass the Hawks . IMO :2thumbs:
    xray
    NET Veteran

• For a football player in a sprinter competition he did really well without months of training prior.

That said, he didn't look like he got hurt or pulled anything, now back to football. I was hoping he came away without getting a hamstring or a ACL or Achilles injury.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

IMHO, dude is almost a freak of nature.
    Anyone that watched that race and knows anything about Track/Field knows that he put up a respectable time.
    That heat was tight, and the difference between first and last place was very small.
    Those guys are world class “track” sprinters, DK held his own and was actually competitive.
    My hope is that he lives up to his potential as an NFL player, if he does he’s a future HOF lock. Easily could be a top 10 of all time.

YMMV
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Here's the video. :mrgreen:

sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• sutz wrote:Here's the video. :mrgreen:

Think about this for a minute or so, he was only HUNDREDTHS of a SECOND behind U.S. World class Olympic sprinters.
    AND, the fact that he hadn't spent YEARS & YEARS perfecting or focusing on being an Olympian sprinter? OMG!!! :shock:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• The announcer said that in the end his bulk cost him. Muscle mass wants oxygen and the more you have the more it wants. Not to mention the lactic acid. I watched the race and I think despite being 9th, I think he left with respect.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

• DK did great! Within 24 hundredths of the winner at 100 yards. Are you kidding me? I didn't think there was any way he would be that close. That has to worry a lot of CBs.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• To do this with little to no training? Against guys who have been training for this most of their lives? Beyond impressive, especially at his size. Way too much worry about an injury. He gave it a shot, showed he is a ridiculous beast of an athlete, and he DIDN'T get hurt.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• He did a good job under the circumstances. But I think it's worth noting that his 100m time (relative to the elite of the sport) is roughly equivalent to someone running a 4.8 40 time at the combine compared to someone running sub 4.3. So the praise he's getting comes off similarly to the "Conor Mcgregor went 10 rounds against Mayweather; imagine what he could do if he actually trained" commentary, which is to say we're just praising him for participating.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• bmorepunk wrote:
    FattyKnuckle wrote:
    toffee wrote:For a guy who doesn't train like a sprinter and for as big as he is, he is a pretty unique specimen.

The training is the critical part. I don't know if he could really compete with the best if he trained for it for years; it's weird how specific a lot of these things are. Small differences in individuals really make a huge difference at the elite level.

The one and only Usain Bolt measures 6'5" and 207 lbs, our DK's 2" shorter and 20 lbs heavier. Absolutely no reason for DK to give up his football career to become a track sprinter, but just for fun, if DK would to lighten himself by 20 lbs and polish up track skills. He could be very competitive.

As is, he was competitive the first 40 yards or so, make no mistake, as a WR speed isn't what he needs to improve on.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    bmorepunk wrote:
    FattyKnuckle wrote:

The one and only Usain Bolt measures 6'5" and 207 lbs, our DK's 2" shorter and 20 lbs heavier. Absolutely no reason for DK to give up his football career to become a track sprinter, but just for fun, if DK would to lighten himself by 20 lbs and polish up track skills. He could be very competitive.

As is, he was competitive the first 40 yards or so, make no mistake, as a WR speed isn't what he needs to improve on.

I think the closest comparison to DK's size is Ryan Bailey. He's 6'4, 225. He ran a 10.28 when he was 18 years old, a year after he started running track, and his fastest time is 9.88. Ironically, he was a notoriously slow started.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue May 11, 2021 1:04 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information