Can DK Metcalf qualify for the Olympic trials?

toffee

Reaction score
misfit":2sj8vn2j said:
Didn't qualify but ran a 10.36

He finished last in his heat, 15th out of 17 participants. Those two sprinter that finished slower than Metcalf would be teased a bit by other sprinters lol. I was sure that he wasn't fast enough, but am impressed by his performance.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
toffee":2f38gvyx said:
misfit":2f38gvyx said:
Didn't qualify but ran a 10.36

He finished last in his heat, 15th out of 17 participants. Those two sprinter that finished slower than Metcalf would be teased a bit by other sprinters lol. I was sure that he wasn't fast enough, but am impressed by his performance.

I thought it was pretty impressive. He looked 40lbs bigger than everyone else and his "last" place finish looked like he was only about 6 inches short of beating the guy in the 1st lane. He also kept up close to the front for the first 50m or so and only lagged after 75m. For a guy who doesn't train like a sprinter and for as big as he is, he is a pretty unique specimen. And he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders too. Some youthful mistakes notwithstanding, I think we have a possible HoFer in the fold.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
FattyKnuckle":372gpbq2 said:
toffee":372gpbq2 said:
For a guy who doesn't train like a sprinter and for as big as he is, he is a pretty unique specimen.

The training is the critical part. I don't know if he could really compete with the best if he trained for it for years; it's weird how specific a lot of these things are. Small differences in individuals really make a huge difference at the elite level.

But the dude is fast as hell for someone so big, definitely a freakish athlete.

xray

Reaction score
He had to haul about 15 plus lbs more than the rest of the field didn't he ? He didn't embarrass the Hawks . IMO :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
For a football player in a sprinter competition he did really well without months of training prior.

That said, he didn't look like he got hurt or pulled anything, now back to football. I was hoping he came away without getting a hamstring or a ACL or Achilles injury.

pmedic920

Reaction score
109e05d7eea7b965175101c690b9c2e0

IMHO, dude is almost a freak of nature.
Anyone that watched that race and knows anything about Track/Field knows that he put up a respectable time.
That heat was tight, and the difference between first and last place was very small.
Those guys are world class “track” sprinters, DK held his own and was actually competitive.
My hope is that he lives up to his potential as an NFL player, if he does he’s a future HOF lock. Easily could be a top 10 of all time.

YMMV

sutz

Reaction score
Here's the video. :mrgreen:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBCOlympics/status/1391479155091513344[/tweet]

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":2k51kz5t said:
Here's the video. :mrgreen:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBCOlympics/status/1391479155091513344[/tweet]
Think about this for a minute or so, he was only HUNDREDTHS of a SECOND behind U.S. World class Olympic sprinters.
AND, the fact that he hadn't spent YEARS & YEARS perfecting or focusing on being an Olympian sprinter? OMG!!! :shock:

TreeRon

Reaction score
The announcer said that in the end his bulk cost him. Muscle mass wants oxygen and the more you have the more it wants. Not to mention the lactic acid. I watched the race and I think despite being 9th, I think he left with respect.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
To do this with little to no training? Against guys who have been training for this most of their lives? Beyond impressive, especially at his size. Way too much worry about an injury. He gave it a shot, showed he is a ridiculous beast of an athlete, and he DIDN'T get hurt.

knownone

Reaction score
He did a good job under the circumstances. But I think it's worth noting that his 100m time (relative to the elite of the sport) is roughly equivalent to someone running a 4.8 40 time at the combine compared to someone running sub 4.3. So the praise he's getting comes off similarly to the "Conor Mcgregor went 10 rounds against Mayweather; imagine what he could do if he actually trained" commentary, which is to say we're just praising him for participating.

toffee

Reaction score
bmorepunk":yy25djfw said:
FattyKnuckle":yy25djfw said:
toffee":yy25djfw said:
For a guy who doesn't train like a sprinter and for as big as he is, he is a pretty unique specimen.

The training is the critical part. I don't know if he could really compete with the best if he trained for it for years; it's weird how specific a lot of these things are. Small differences in individuals really make a huge difference at the elite level.

The one and only Usain Bolt measures 6'5" and 207 lbs, our DK's 2" shorter and 20 lbs heavier. Absolutely no reason for DK to give up his football career to become a track sprinter, but just for fun, if DK would to lighten himself by 20 lbs and polish up track skills. He could be very competitive.

As is, he was competitive the first 40 yards or so, make no mistake, as a WR speed isn't what he needs to improve on.

knownone

Reaction score
toffee":3fg5kr78 said:
bmorepunk":3fg5kr78 said:
FattyKnuckle":3fg5kr78 said:
toffee":3fg5kr78 said:

The one and only Usain Bolt measures 6'5" and 207 lbs, our DK's 2" shorter and 20 lbs heavier. Absolutely no reason for DK to give up his football career to become a track sprinter, but just for fun, if DK would to lighten himself by 20 lbs and polish up track skills. He could be very competitive.

As is, he was competitive the first 40 yards or so, make no mistake, as a WR speed isn't what he needs to improve on.
I think the closest comparison to DK's size is Ryan Bailey. He's 6'4, 225. He ran a 10.28 when he was 18 years old, a year after he started running track, and his fastest time is 9.88. Ironically, he was a notoriously slow started.

reddmmann

Reaction score
knownone":3bbcps98 said:
He did a good job under the circumstances. But I think it's worth noting that his 100m time (relative to the elite of the sport) is roughly equivalent to someone running a 4.8 40 time at the combine compared to someone running sub 4.3. So the praise he's getting comes off similarly to the "Conor Mcgregor went 10 rounds against Mayweather; imagine what he could do if he actually trained" commentary, which is to say we're just praising him for participating.

40y to 100m conversion :

x/2.54 + 2x ~ 100m time
x = 40 time

4.2 ~10.05
4.3 ~10.29
4.4 ~10.53
4.5 ~10.77
4.6 ~11.01
4.7 ~11.25
4.8 ~11.49
4.9 ~11.73
5.0 ~11.97