Falcons to trade Julio to any interested team.

Mix

Reaction score
In my opinion not a position of need of a front line starter, the cost doesn't match the benefit. Great player, would not be used the way he would need to be.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
There's a reason they don't want him. Hope we don't fall for it.

kf3339

Reaction score
I doubt any true contender trades for him with his salary. Any other team with the cap room and trade assets is probably a bottom or rebuild team at this point.

My guess is he won't restructure his deal with Atlanta and they end up cutting him. At his age he may want to play for a true contender. That is when it gets interesting.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If ATL is able to find a trade partner, I'm guessing that they will have to pick up a portion (maybe $5M?) of his $15.3M salary this year.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":11y1am85 said:
Watch him get released and end up in Santa Clara :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

Almost positive it will be either them or Arizona ughhh or TB.

flv

Reaction score
Jones' $15.3M salary is fully guaranteed for 2021. $2M of his 2022 salary is also fully guaranteed. The Falcons aren't going to give him $17.3M to go away and sign with whoever he likes. If he won't play for them the Falcons will ask the NFL to put him on an exempt list.

There is zero chance he'll be cut without the contract terms being voided or altered.

Any team trading for Jones is in actuality trading for Jones' contract. The starting point for a trade is which team is willing to take on the $17.3M of guarantees AND satisfy whatever the Falcons want as compensation. If nothing materialises then are the Falcons prepared to take less compensation and/or pay some of the salary to get rid of him? Alternatively is Jones prepared to take a pay cut and/or void contract terms in order to get away?

toffee

Reaction score
flv":30zrl4tb said:
Jones' $15.3M salary is fully guaranteed for 2021. $2M of his 2022 salary is also fully guaranteed. The Falcons aren't going to give him $17.3M to go away and sign with whoever he likes. If he won't play for them the Falcons will ask the NFL to put him on an exempt list.

There is zero chance he'll be cut without the contract terms being voided or altered.

Any team trading for Jones is in actuality trading for Jones' contract. The starting point for a trade is which team is willing to take on the $17.3M of guarantees AND satisfy whatever the Falcons want as compensation. If nothing materialises then are the Falcons prepared to take less compensation and/or pay some of the salary to get rid of him? Alternatively is Jones prepared to take a pay cut and/or void contract terms in order to get away?

Doesn't sound like Hawks will be the prime candidate to take on Julio?

flv

Reaction score
toffee":37zf2kgl said:
Doesn't sound like Hawks will be the prime candidate to take on Julio?
31 teams will be interested with 'the right terms', which will be different for each team. If the Seahawks are willing to take on the $17.3M guarantees and make the Falcons an acceptable offer that is preferable to other teams' offers then it could happen. Jones has 3 years remaining on his contract so any team trading for him could restructure $9.6M+ of the 2021 cap hit into later years. More realistically any team trading for Jones will want him to agree a new contract with at least 5 years on it so the 2021 cap hit could be further reduced. Even veteran players benefit from preseason time with a new team so the longer a trade takes to materialise the less trade appeal the veteran player has.

If Jones agrees to void the guarantees then he could theoretically be cut, but that doesn't seem likely at this point.

Members are free to discuss what they want, including the possibility of a cut and what happens afterwards. However, discussing where he might be traded to, for what compensation, and what new contract he agrees to, would make for a better thread.

Personally, (as a fan of a divisional rival), I would prefer NOT to see Jones traded to the Seahawks. Adding Jamal Adams didn't concern me whereas Julio Jones would.

getnasty

Reaction score
If i'm GB i'm probably trying to find a way to make it happen to make Erin happy. Don't see the fit here but you know Pete and John love big moves so who knows.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Assuming Tyler and DK remain healthy, and also assuming that Eskridge blends in reasonably well, bringing in Julio is going to cause problems with at least one of the three. A hard PASS is my vote.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pass for me. I don't think the compensation is worth it for this team. WR depth is needed, but trading away assets that are already lacking in value for an aging WR isn't gonna get this team over the hump, and Julio is at a high risk of rapidly depreciating in effectiveness.

If Julio is added, the majority of his targets are going to come from targets that Lockett and DK would otherwise get, and I'm not sure he actually adds much value when considering where his target share would come from. Same reason I didn't think AB was a must-have for TB, except Julio costs significantly more in both traded assets AND money.

Roll with DK/Lock, hope Eskridge comes in ready to add a new wrinkle to the offense, try to find some end-of-roster WR depth, and call it a day. If they hadn't added Eskridge, I might be a bit more open to what Julio can offer.

massari

Reaction score
Hard to imagine giving up a 2nd for him after drafting Eskridge and doing so well in UDFA, especially because they don't have a 1st rd pick for the second year in a row next draft.

Julio+1st rd pick for Adams would be sweet, and hopefully having the best receiving corps of all time would be enough to make Wilson sign an extension.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Imagine that you could add an expensive old veteran at any position on the roster. Which would be the worst positions to pick?

WR would probably be second worst in my book behind only QB. Our WR group is already one of the strongest units on the team and we've sunk a lot of resources into it lately. Metcalf will be looking at a monster extension next off-season, and Russ is one of the highest paid QBs in the league. Trading away valuable draft capital and using up critical cap space just to add it to further would be a hugely inefficient use of our very limited resources.

massari

Reaction score
AgentDib":3n9du6fi said:
Imagine that you could add an expensive old veteran at any position on the roster. Which would be the worst positions to pick?
QB
SS
FS
MLB
WLB
SLB
LG
RG
RB
LT
RT

AgentDib

Reaction score
Consider that they are still paying attention to KJ's situation despite wanting Brooks to see more playing time. Our LB depth isn't great after Wagner and Brooks, and Brooks is still largely an unknown quantity. They are flexible at getting their best players onto the field together so don't overvalue individual players. There's a good chance they will still add veteran pieces to the mix at many spots including LB, OL and RB.

RB specifically has a huge hole. Carlos Hyde ended up being an important contributor there last year and is now on the Jaguars. This year, the plan is for Penny to stay healthy and contribute. That's a flawed plan, which is understandable because under a salary cap teams are bound to have flaws in many areas. However, with such obvious flaws on the roster it seems crazy to spend draft capital and cap space on areas that are already strengths.

pmedic920

Reaction score
My guess:
He ends up with the Pats.

We would be silly to have no interest but I don’t see the Seahawks seriously making moves to get him.

Like others, I hope he doesn’t end up w/a division rival.

Latest posts