Refs

John63

Reaction score
Waws it just me or did it seem like the refs missed a lot of calls? I saw a bunch of holding by Indy oline, Lockets first TD he was held some etc etc

JustTheTip

Reaction score
The three bad calls I saw were:

1) Adams offsides early on the first drive. He left when the clock went 00, which means either it was delay of game or let the play run
2) It appeared the Indy player was doing more physically than DK when DK got his penalty. It also appeared that the official was watching the whole exchange so can't blame it on "only caught the retaliation". Also, the official let it go on for a while so kind of his own fault.
3) The late PI call was awful, barely any contact and the ball was uncatchable.

Outside of that, it was just refs being their usual crappy selves.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Compared to some of the other games I watched yesterday, I thought our refs were good.

The PI call on Reed was hot garbage, but other than that I'll take those refs for all our games. Again, I saw some HORRENDOUS calls yesterday in multiple games.

sdog1981

Reaction score
JustTheTip":13djpzjt said:

The late PI call brings up every match fixing conspiracy theory out there, that revolve around the league wanting to keep games close.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28gn0k8f said:
Compared to some of the other games I watched yesterday, I thought our refs were good.

The PI call on Reed was hot garbage, but other than that I'll take those refs for all our games. Again, I saw some HORRENDOUS calls yesterday in multiple games.

hmm okay maybe I am just being to critical of the refs.

ivotuk

Reaction score
sdog1981":3pq8a98r said:
JustTheTip":3pq8a98r said:

The late PI call brings up every match fixing conspiracy theory out there, that revolve around the league wanting to keep games close.

What? This game was never close.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":209v5cho said:

100% agree with this.

I would much, MUCH, rather have refs that err on the side of officiating too loosely than too tightly. I really don't want to see flags flying all over the field all game long.

I'll put it this way, I didn't really notice the refs much in our game yesterday. In my opinion, that is a sign that they generally did a pretty good job. Not perfect by any means, but better than I've come to expect.

And yeah, that PI call was shockingly absurd. Like the official had a brain glitch for a second there or something.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Announcers said Taunting is an emphasis with the league this year, so not surprised to see it used liberally in the first game of the season. I wonder how many there were league-wide yesterday?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The refs had a couple of obvious blown calls as JTT mentioned, but for the most part let them play which I prefer.

The Tampa/*allas game was a flag fest.

The NFL needs to streamline the playbook, and put an emphasis in only calling obvious infractions.
The flagfests that are the typical NFL game, are killing the game.
Less rules, not more rules.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":15k5pbrm said:
The NFL needs to streamline the playbook, and put an emphasis in only calling obvious infractions.

I've been saying this for years.

The biggest reason ref'ing has gotten worse over the past 10-15 years is every time an owner gets screwed in a playoff game or they get together and decide they don't like something the players are doing because they're a bunch of uptight old white men, they lobby for another subjective rule to be implemented through the competition committee.

So now we have a bunch of subjective penalties that are at the discretion of the refs, and most of the time they overreact or get it wrong. Or how do you even tell if it's wrong? You can't, that's the problem.

Roughing, taunting, unsportsmanlike conduct, illegal blocks, language............all implemented or revised over the past 5-10 years. Cause it hurts the children and tarnishes the shield!!

Cabac476 63b7 4a93 a018 16ea642df6fc text

notyou

Reaction score
No need to bring race into this. Why not just say uppity old men?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
notyou":20z7tl3j said:

No need to bring age into this, why not just say "humans."

chris98251

Reaction score
notyou":1nqe1cxz said:

I am sure Jody, the Saints Owner and Denvers new President as well as the Washington Football teams Owner all resent Old men statements....................

notyou

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if they do or don't. There was no need to even mention it.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Refs can make games hard to watch sometimes. Wish they just let them play like they say they do in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hkb3pgz said:
Sports Hernia":3hkb3pgz said:

I've been saying this for years.

The biggest reason ref'ing has gotten worse over the past 10-15 years is every time an owner gets screwed in a playoff game or they get together and decide they don't like something the players are doing because they're a bunch of uptight old white men, they lobby for another subjective rule to be implemented through the competition committee.

So now we have a bunch of subjective penalties that are at the discretion of the refs, and most of the time they overreact or get it wrong. Or how do you even tell if it's wrong? You can't, that's the problem.

Roughing, taunting, unsportsmanlike conduct, illegal blocks, language............all implemented or revised over the past 5-10 years. Cause it hurts the children and tarnishes the shield!!

Cabac476 63b7 4a93 a018 16ea642df6fc text
Agree.

cheese22

Reaction score
sdog1981":2l1lry60 said:
JustTheTip":2l1lry60 said:

Touche

Mizak

Reaction score
Basically if an NFL team is playing the Cowboys, Stealers, Patriots, or Packers, expect a flag fest.