MUST WIN

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's obvious, no? I hate thinking a game in October is a true must win, especially with an added game this season (17). But, let's face it. This IS a must win game. 3-4 and you are still in the mix for a wild card. Beat the Jags at home a week later (not at all improbable even without Russ) and suddenly you are .500 at 4-4 with the very real possiblity of Russ coming back the following week.

Suddenly things don't look so bleak.

However that's a lot of assumptions. Nothing matters if we lose tomorrow night. 2-5, lose the tie breaker to the Saints which is likely one of the other two final wild card slots and the fat lady has belted her heart out.

Beat the Saints, we own the tie breaker with a team that may very legit be the team we are battling against in December/January for that final slot (assuming we start winning again).

Must win? Hell yes.

This is the season, right here, right now.

Ahrimaki

Reaction score
Why does everyone think we beat the jags? Why? James Robinson is going to run for 150 yards 2 TDs on this defense Lawrence is going to look good, he’s not been awful he but two games he usually does well enough to be competitive and this isn’t Russ he is competing against its Geno who isn’t near as good as Lawrence.

I just don’t see how everyone is looking past Jacksonville…

The saints we have no chance against Lattimore is going to do well against DK without Russ, Lockett is basically ignored with Geno, our Oline is going to have a tough time against their DLine.

Our Dline won’t stop Kamara he will go 100+ 2 TDs easy

RiverDog

Reaction score
Ahrimaki":2kf3cn2b said:
Why does everyone think we beat the jags? Why? James Robinson is going to run for 150 yards 2 TDs on this defense Lawrence is going to look good, he’s not been awful he but two games he usually does well enough to be competitive and this isn’t Russ he is competing against its Geno who isn’t near as good as Lawrence.

The saints we have no chance against Lattimore is going to do well against DK without Russ, Lockett is basically ignored with Geno, our Oline is going to have a tough time against their DLine.

I agree about Jacksonville. They aren't as bad as their record indicates. But I also think that you're making some huge assumptions in our game with the Saints. They are a very Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of team. It depends on which one shows up, the one that crushed the Packers or the one that lost to the Giants.

I think the intent of the OP was that if we lose tomorrow tonight, our odds of making the playoffs get cut in half. That doesn't mean that they increase all that much should we win, but a loss virtually sends us into a different mode, one of waiting until next year.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
It doesnt matter if Seattle loses. Some people on here will still be convinced they are going to the Super Bowl.

Ahrimaki

Reaction score
RiverDog":1q3nu1yr said:
Ahrimaki":1q3nu1yr said:

I agree about Jacksonville. They aren't as bad as their record indicates. But I also think that you're making some huge assumptions in our game with the Saints. They are a very Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of team. It depends on which one shows up, the one that crushed the Packers or the one that lost to the Giants.

I think the intent of the OP was that if we lose tomorrow tonight, our odds of making the playoffs get cut in half. That doesn't mean that they increase all that much should we win, but a loss virtually sends us into a different mode, one of waiting until next year.

That giants team was better then Seattle currently

Danny dimes > Geno in all terms of throwing and running. Barkley > Collins maybe not Carson as they are both good but neither are healthy for a year.

I’ll take their one good corner over both of ours. Their D is basically the same level as ours their WRs aren’t as good as ours but they get the job done

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Anyone who has been following the Hawks since 1976 knows that tomorrow night is a "fish or cut bait" situation. I confess that I may be an "Old Fart" pushing 80, but I have the experience to know the importance of tomorrow night.

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":ggwak6co said:
I think it's obvious, no? I hate thinking a game in October is a true must win, especially with an added game this season (17). But, let's face it. This IS a must win game. 3-4 and you are still in the mix for a wild card. Beat the Jags at home a week later (not at all improbable even without Russ) and suddenly you are .500 at 4-4 with the very real possiblity of Russ coming back the following week.

Suddenly things don't look so bleak.

However that's a lot of assumptions. Nothing matters if we lose tomorrow night. 2-5, lose the tie breaker to the Saints which is likely one of the other two final wild card slots and the fat lady has belted her heart out.

Beat the Saints, we own the tie breaker with a team that may very legit be the team we are battling against in December/January for that final slot (assuming we start winning again).

Must win? Hell yes.

This is the season, right here, right now.

I really like how Carroll approaches this... They just take one game at a time and they just focus on what's in front of them NOW...because that is the only thing they control is whats happening NOW...

Carroll says its a hard thing for a football team to do..

Block out all the noise, media and Fans... and focus on the Saints

this is a champion ship game...

Nothing is ever over until they are mathematically eliminated... weird things happen both the Rams and the Cards could lose players to injury... there are tons of things that can happen....including a couple of things that have never happened...

LOL

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":ozrcytrr said:
Anyone who has been following the Hawks since 1976 knows that tomorrow night is a "fish or cut bait" situation. I confess that I may be an "Old Fart" pushing 80, but I have the experience to know the importance of tomorrow night.

I'm not quite pushing 80, as a matter of fact, today I am celebrating my 67th birthday, which means that I, too, have been following the Hawks since '76 and recognize the importance of tonight's game.

If we don't win tonight, IMO we start examining our roster and see who it is we can start printing fliers on for a possible trade by the Nov. deadline. Rashaad Penny? LJ Collier? Perhaps a bigger name like DK Metcalf?

getnasty

Reaction score
I win would be nice but far from a must win in terms of making the playoffs. With the extra team getting in and a ton of mediocrity in the NFC i don't think it's a must win.

xray

Reaction score
The best teams feel every game is a must win . Teams and their fans that think different are usually losers .

RiverDog

Reaction score
getnasty":3m3268lz said:
I win would be nice but far from a must win in terms of making the playoffs. With the extra team getting in and a ton of mediocrity in the NFC i don't think it's a must win.

I don't have the numbers, but there's a pretty big difference in the chances of a 3-4 team making the playoffs vs. a 2-5 team. Plus we have to take into account the Saints are in our conference and as it stands now, would be one of the teams where a tiebreaker could come into play.

It's not a must win as a loss does not eliminate us from the playoffs, but it's a lot more important than your garden variety October contest.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
xray":2z8b17mx said:
The best teams feel every game is a must win . Teams and their fans that think different are usually losers .

We've seen this team play differently against different teams. To the public Pete and Russ will always spout off about each game being a championship opportunity etc, etc. But c'mon you've seen this team get up to play teams that are very good coming to town, and fall completely flat to teams that are not that good. It doesn't exactly scream "must win every game"

Also the idea of "must win" is in regards to if that game will seal the season or not.

Game 1 is not MUST WIN for any team, many teams can start 0-1 and make the playoffs (or even win a SB).

Meanwhile a situation like this going 2-5 vs 3-5 dramatically changes a team's percentage chance of making playoffs. I'd argue the Niners game was also a "must win" situation because going 1-3 pretty much guaranteed a team's season was going to the pit of misery! Dilly! Dilly!

Spohawks

Reaction score
There never was nor will there be a must win game this season for the Hawks. Teams simply have bad years and the Hawks are due. Its been a down hill slide starting at the 3 man draft that produced nobody that added value to the team.

Its truly over this year. We can kick back, lower our expectations and enjoy watching the boys play or we can be disappointed in a close but no playoffs year. Rest up this year guys and don't let it get to you!

Fade

Reaction score
Their must win was against the Rams two weeks ago. They lost.

Now we're left to evaluate how bad are they?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3okcz9k2 said:
It doesnt matter if Seattle loses. Some people on here will still be convinced they are going to the Super Bowl.

Like who?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Literally NOBODY has said they are going to win the Superbowl.
They absolutely can win tonight. Game feels like a toss up. IF they actually play defense.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":t5cs1clt said:
pittpnthrs":t5cs1clt said:

Like who?

Probably the people who think all that matters is getting to the playoffs every year because once you get to the playoffs you have a "chance" to win a SB. Even though they're not recognizing that this team year after year did not have what it takes to go any further than 1-2 games into the playoffs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, because making the playoffs doesn't actually give you a chance to make the Super Bowl. And somehow people are satisfied with just making the playoffs. Nobody is, but as always, assume you know how someone else feels. Because that never happens on here :?
What a strange fanbase this is. Literally putting people down who actually get excited about the team making the playoffs. And then ASSUMING that someone else is happy with just making the playoffs. I highly doubt anyone is happy with just making the playoffs. Screw that crap.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This makes no sense.

After the Rams game, there is no must win game this season because nobody expects them to do anything.

Yes, they COULD make the playoffs (doubtful) but so what? The bar to making the playoffs is so much lower with more teams able to come in as wildcards.

Do you really expect they can win a playoff game? Of course not.

We are in the same category as the Giants right now.

Unless Wilson drinks that miracle water and comes back, there is almost no shot. And even if he does, it isn't like we are winning a playoff game against a divisional opponent. Our best expectation is to win a wildcard game, if we get a weak opponent.

And you know the problem with that?

We ARE the weak opponent.

This really isn't the best year to expect something. Maybe 2 years from now?