Is Odell Beckham Jr. good this season? Who's seen the film?

Tokadub

Reaction score
So I'm just going to be honest here, I had some drinks tonight and I was unable to read through all 4 pages of the excellent topic already posted:

https://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=176285

I am making a new thread just specifically about how does Odell Beckham Jr. look ON THE FIELD THIS SEASON?

Has anyone actually studied this guy's performance so far this season? I would be lying if I tried to evaluate his play this season...

But at the end of the day his performance (or potential) on the field RIGHT NOW is the only thing that matters for the Seahawks to make this decision.

Try to limit this discussion to "scouting reports" for how he looks this season, or maybe last season too. Go to the main topic for general discussion.

Here is my gut instinct response to if OBJ is a good fit having not seen any of his film the past 2 seasons

Tokadub":37x0lxtr said:
I don't have any doubts that this would be a good fit for OBJ in terms of team culture and giving him a fresh start to maybe finally have a respectable career.

Obviously OBJ has produced when healthy but there has always been this "diva" or "selfish" type of label on him. If he wants to break that label I think the Seahawks are a great fit for him. He'd be playing alongside Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf, that is a scary trio. If he can accept his role that he is not #1 it's more like 3 number ones it might work...

It'd be similar to when Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate had almost identical stats, they were both great. No guy was clearly the #1 receiver.

We have a similar dynamic currently with Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf. The question is could OBJ harmoniously fit into our lineup mid season and accept the role of Wide Receiver 1c (sharing an equal roll with Lockett, and Metcalf).

That's being VERY generous to presume OBJ can even perform on their level right now with his recent injuries... but that would be the starting point for him to fit on the team. He can't think he's #1 above our other receivers or it won't work in any circumstance.

I do believe he can accept this role on our team but I have a much bigger question...

Is OBJ legit good this season? I haven't watched ANY of his film from this year.

Is it possible the Browns were holding him back somehow, bad blood with the QB or Coaches?

Conclusion:

Because I'm unsure if OBJ is even good this season (I'd have to study the film), I'm going to say we shouldn't sign him based on his statistical and (maybe physical) performance.

I don't think his personality will be an issue on this team, mainly because he needs to get his act together or he might have an early exit from the league.

If the coaches have scouted that he could be a legit receiver in our offense (so we'd actually have 3 receiving threats)... I think we should get him.

2 great Receivers is not enough for even a psychically prime Russell Wilson to win in the playoffs without a RB like Marshawn Lynch.

WE DO NEED A 3rd GUY our Tight Ends aren't even close so far this season...

One could argue we would be much better off with a better O-line rather than a 3rd receiver and I would tend to agree, but if we can't get a better Oline this might be our best option.

Optimus25

Reaction score
What does it matter? We’d still feed Swain more than all of them and run the ball 8 times in a row for -3 yds.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Well it's very likely that for those Swain receptions, there was very close coverage on Metcalf and Lockett.
Sometimes the opposition defense are good too.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Optimus25":35f1zzoz said:
What does it matter? We’d still feed Swain more than all of them and run the ball 8 times in a row for -3 yds.

How dare the third receiver have.. 16 catches?

keasley45

Reaction score
I dont think it matters how he looks. I don't see how you keep he and DK happy. Go back and look at our tape DK's tantrums often correlate with him not seeing looks and being underutilized. The dude wants to prove every game that he's the best wr in the league. I think he and Lock exist peacefully together because they have different skill sets AND because Tyler is selfless. OBJ... not so much. No way in an offense that doesn't want to thrown the ball 35 times a game that you keep a DKOBJ monster happy. And besides, we have TE we don't even use that I think cater a bit better to the smash mouth attitude the team is trying to get back to.
The Hawks formula is not predicated on having 3 superstar wr's. It relies on efficient wr's, strong defense, a strong running game, and smart play from the QB position. Now that said, that doesn't mean we are too talented at Wr for our system. Just that it makes little sense to double down at a position we are already set at. Keep the 7mil and get yourself help on the D line and o line next year... or use it to pay DK if he wants to stay.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
6 games
17 receptions
0 TD's

So no, he hasn't been good this season. Thus why 32 teams passed on him and the 7.5M remaining on his contract after he was waived.

Doesn't mean OBJ can't be a good WR again, but it does mean he's going to have to take a vet minimum contract (or close to it) wherever he goes, and prove he can be productive..........and more importantly prove he's not going to be a pain in the ass.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
He's regressed big time but like I said.....If he doesn't care about money welcome aboard, but check the prima donna shit at the door. We're freaking loaded at receiver especially with Dee back

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Anybody notice how the Browns do when OBJ is in and when he isnt? Seattle might be lucky he went to the Rams.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
keasley45":hwhbqozr said:
The Hawks formula is not predicated on having 3 superstar wr's. It relies on efficient wr's, strong defense, a strong running game, and smart play from the QB position. Now that said, that doesn't mean we are too talented at Wr for our system. Just that it makes little sense to double down at a position we are already set at. Keep the 7mil and get yourself help on the D line and o line next year... or use it to pay DK if he wants to stay.

We don't have a strong running game and outside of our 2 WR's we aren't very efficient. We can pray our defense will become strong but that answer should be seen this weekend.

One of the guys they interviewed on ESPN Seattle radio recently was asked the question "DK and Lockett already aren't getting the ball enough in some games, wouldn't adding a 3rd Wide Receiver just limit their production and targets even more?"

I think the guy had a great answer although I cannot recall his name. He said essentially "If you have a 3rd receiving threat you will be able to RUN WAY MORE PLAYS! You won't have so many 3 and outs and therefor DK and Lockett could maybe even have more plays even with the addition of OBJ."

That's a good point considering the Seahawks are dead last in the league in Offensive Plays Per Game, we aren't even close to the 2nd worst team we are somewhat of an outlier that's pathetic:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/plays-per-game

I think the 7 million number was if we cleared him from the waiver wire. The Rams are probably paying only 1-2 million.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/11/rams-odell-beckham-contract-details-breakdown/

Yeah so they are only paying him 1.25 million.

He has 3 million more in his contract if he meets every incentive requirement.

The rams only had 3.1 million at the time they signed him to this deal. They can't even currently afford to pay this deal if he meets all of the incentives... they would have to do some moves to make space...

So we just lost out on a desperate need on our team to have a legit 3rd receiver to a team with less than 10 million cap space than what we have...

chris98251

Reaction score
Tokadub":20q2sy8q said:
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/11/rams-odell-beckham-contract-details-breakdown/

The rams only had 3.1 million at the time they signed him to this deal. They can't even currently afford to pay this deal if he meets all of the incentives... they would have to do some moves to make space...

So we just lost out on a desperate need on our team to have a legit 3rd receiver to a team with less than 10 million cap space than what we have...

Really we have Swain and Hart, Eskridge will get some time, Beckham wasn't going to put this team on his back and make us a Super Bowl contender by himself.. He would have to learn our version of the offense, and if he went head case we have Harvin 2.0.

Not a bad pick up if he keeps his head on straight granted, but also not going to change much of what we do.

nutluck

Reaction score
Tokadub":51o6dype said:

Actually it depends on how the incentives are written and if they fall into the LTBE or NLTBE, if the first they are due the same year as the contract if the later they are paid in the following year. My guess is at least part of his are NLTBE type so won't count on the Rams cap until next year if he hits them.