Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who has a great D?

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Who has a great D?
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:39 pm
  • Ok once again I have taken so much crap on this board for seeing this D for what it is...Ive been ridiculed,,, called names (LTH Love to hallucinate) been told I am full of crap so many times its not funny.

Who is your DADDY now mo fo's!!!!!

that's twice in two years I've been literally the only one on the board who believed this D would turn... hell even ARO's said this D was finished...

Just sayin guys understand Carroll's process and how this team works and things become much clearer into whats happening...

I would not have made this post if I didn't get so much crap in the past..!!

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: Who has a great D?
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:49 pm
  • LTH wrote:Ok once again I have taken so much crap on this board for seeing this D for what it is...Ive been ridiculed,,, called names (LTH Love to hallucinate) been told I am full of crap so many times its not funny.

that's twice in two years I've been literally the only one on the board who believed this D would turn... hell even ARO's said this D was finished...

Just sayin guys understand Carroll's process and how this team works and things become much clearer into whats happening...

LTH

Thanks for calling all of us Mo Fo's.

With that said if you have watched the D the last few weeks they finally changed their scheme and with that are playing better. Safeties are coming in to cover and DB's are playing closer to the LOS. Most of the D players were here last year so they already understood as you say "Carroll's process". When we said the D sucked, IT DID!!! Even the players were outwardly complaining about the scheme.

Now with a better scheme in place they are way improved.

Just keepin in real.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:54 pm
  • seabowl wrote:
    LTH wrote:Ok once again I have taken so much crap on this board for seeing this D for what it is...Ive been ridiculed,,, called names (LTH Love to hallucinate) been told I am full of crap so many times its not funny.

LTH

With that said if you have watched the D the last few weeks they finally changed their scheme and with that are playing better. Safeties are coming in to cover and DB's are playing closer to the LOS. Most of the D players were here last year so they already understood as you say "Carroll's process". When we said the D sucked, IT DID!!!

Just keepin in real.

The part that your missing is why did the scheme change? why did all of this happen? the scheme was just dialled back because they had some issues at corner, some issues with young linebackers understanding and executing the scheme the scheme and they were not getting pass rush from the front four... They fixed these issues enough to open up the D scheme... so it was not the scheme it was not the coaches it was the integration of new players and there understanding of the scheme....

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:13 pm
  • Whats wrong Pitt, John 63, Zag hawk, twisted Husky, Mizak, and the long list... you guys ain't got nothing to say now LMAO!!!!!

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:23 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    seabowl wrote:
    LTH wrote:Ok once again I have taken so much crap on this board for seeing this D for what it is...Ive been ridiculed,,, called names (LTH Love to hallucinate) been told I am full of crap so many times its not funny.

LTH

With that said if you have watched the D the last few weeks they finally changed their scheme and with that are playing better. Safeties are coming in to cover and DB's are playing closer to the LOS. Most of the D players were here last year so they already understood as you say "Carroll's process". When we said the D sucked, IT DID!!!

Just keepin in real.

The part that your missing is why did the scheme change? why did all of this happen? the scheme was just dialled back because they had some issues at corner, some issues with young linebackers understanding and executing the scheme the scheme and they were not getting pass rush from the front four... They fixed these issues enough to open up the D scheme... so it was not the scheme it was not the coaches it was the integration of new players and there understanding of the scheme....

LTH

Who are the plethora of new players that you are talking about?
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:40 pm
  • seabowl wrote:
    LTH wrote:
    seabowl wrote:

LTH

Just keepin in real.

LTH

Jones, Brooks, Brown, Taylor. JA, , the guy from the jets,
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:14 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    seabowl wrote:
    LTH wrote:
    seabowl wrote:

Just keepin in real.

LTH

Jones just got here and barely plays. Brown is a rook and just started playing with the D a few weeks ago. The rest were all here last year.

Sorry but if you’re trying to make a point your argument is really weak. Just saying
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:33 pm
  • Our biggest problem so far has been time of processions, we simply left the defense on the field for too long. Our offense supposed to carry the defense this season, but hey, no one predicted that our HOF QB regressed so much. Our defense is far from perfect, but our majors stars are on offense and they have not earn their glories so far.

At this point, one wonders if Pete need to be more involved in offense, our offense's struggle could be learning a new system, or, the new system sucked, or our QB regressed, or blame the OL. Probably a combination of all. Our defense hold GB to less than 2 TDs til 4th Q, they have done their part in my book. Our offense haven't earn their paycheck this week,
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:19 pm
  • The silver lining is that the Defense has no shortage of snaps. Plenty of excellent learning opportunities and chemistry building opportunities.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:24 pm
  • seabowl wrote:
    LTH wrote:
    seabowl wrote:
    LTH wrote:

LTH

Jones just got here and barely plays. Brown is a rook and just started playing with the D a few weeks ago. The rest were all here last year.

Sorry but if you’re trying to make a point your argument is really weak. Just saying

So.... just because Brooks and Taylor were here last year doesn't mean they are sufficient in coverage they are still learning... and Jones was a new addition he played in a bunch of games... and Brown is a piece of the puzzle its all about learning to play together if one guy doesn't do his job it leaves the whole D vulnerable... it all contributed to how the Hawks schemed so yeah... it is a good point especially because it came from Bobby Wagner and Carroll.

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:34 pm
  • toffee wrote:Our biggest problem so far has been time of processions, we simply left the defense on the field for too long. Our offense supposed to carry the defense this season, but hey, no one predicted that our HOF QB regressed so much. Our defense is far from perfect, but our majors stars are on offense and they have not earn their glories so far.

At this point, one wonders if Pete need to be more involved in offense, our offense's struggle could be learning a new system, or, the new system sucked, or our QB regressed, or blame the OL. Probably a combination of all. Our defense hold GB to less than 2 TDs til 4th Q, they have done their part in my book. Our offense haven't earn their paycheck this week,

I can't tell you exactly what's going on between Russ, Waldron and Carroll.... It feels like Carroll is letting Russ and Waldron work it out....

what I see happening is Russ was rusty and tried forcing the long ball into double coverage and that most of the time is a recipe for not good things happening... I think Russ needs to make some adjustments..... now weather or not Pete is going to put his foot down remains to be seen.

It looks to me like Russ strong armed Carroll into letting Waldron and himself take the offense... I don't agree with this... Its Carroll's team he should do things the way he wants because as we saw last year, Russ will just keep throwing into double coverage and throwing picks and they will keep losing to good teams...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:17 am
  • Team just got shutout and your patting yourself on the back because the defense is playing better (lets be honest, it couldnt have gotten much worse). Congratulations. You must be elated.

Never change LTH
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:10 pm
  • I was listening to John Clayton's show this morning. One of the callers was ranting about KNJ. Clayton said that if the defense continues to decline, the Seahawks may part ways with KNJ in the offseason. If that happens, then Gus Bradley could be a potential replacement. Gus Bradley has had success as DC. He was the DC that helped build the LOB. As they had drafted ET and Kam while he was DC. In 2012 (his last with the Seahawks), the defense was ranked #4 in the NFL for total yards per game, and 1st for points per game (15.3). He wasn't fired by Seahawks, he got the HC gig with the Jags in 2013.

Info on Bradley's defensive scheme -
    https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2021/7/14/22576283/raiders-gus-bradley-defensive-coordinator-scheme

Another one who was mentioned is Jim Schwartz who is currently with the Titans as a defensive assistant.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:35 pm
  • These posts are always weird to me. The defense was dead last in almost every single category and couldn't stop an offense for 5-6 straight weeks. Same as last year until they faced a string or literal 2-4th string QB's. They've definitely improved recently, Tre Brown may the Pete Carroll scheme saver, but like... why post this? Team is 3-6 looking at 3-7 and their star QB leaving with a bunch of gigantic question marks everywhere. Russ leaves, Carson retires, a defense that goes from dead last to above average is what we bank on?
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:53 pm
  • There is a yawning difference between worst defense in the entire NFL (if not NFL history) and 'great defense'.

Yes the defense is improved.

It would be difficult to be worse.

As Largent pointed out, at least having effective CB play (moving Reed to his natural position and our rookie) is a big help.

But 'great'?

No.

By the way, nothing personal. Nothing wrong with loving the Hawks. We wouldn't BE here in a 3 win season if we all did not love the Hawks.

Someone pointing out you are wrong is not 'making fun of you'. And people shouldn't care what people on the internet think about them anyway.

If you feel like people are taking shots at you personally because of your support for Pete, the Hawks, or even KNJ (I just vomited a little in mouth thinking that anyone would support him but ok) - then that kind of sucks. And hopefully, it stops.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:10 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:There is a yawning difference between worst defense in the entire NFL (if not NFL history) and 'great defense'.

As Largent pointed out, at least having effective CB play (moving Reed to his natural position and our rookie) is a big help.

But 'great'?

No.

By the way, nothing personal. Nothing wrong with loving the Hawks. We wouldn't BE here in a 3 win season if we all did not love the Hawks.

Someone pointing out you are wrong is not 'making fun of you'. And people shouldn't care what people on the internet think about them anyway.

If you feel like people are taking shots at you personally because of your support for Pete, the Hawks, or even KNJ (I just vomited a little in mouth thinking that anyone would support him but ok) - then that kind of sucks. And hopefully, it stops.

I shouldn't have made the post...I just was frustrated because I know the D was going to turn and when I said so I was ridiculed and that's fine... I have tough skin but there is also this other part of me that I try to suppress that LOVES to punch back.. and if one dishes it out those people should be able to take it back... I don't REALLY care what people think... not really but sometimes it's VERY frustrating for me when I see something, I know its right and others are telling me I'm dilutional it is implying that I'm lame and that's just not true... I don't know football as well as some but I have a keen sense for the Hawks... and thats just true... so I apologize for making the post I let one get away...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:23 am

Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:39 am
  • LTH wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:There is a yawning difference between worst defense in the entire NFL (if not NFL history) and 'great defense'.

But 'great'?

No.

I shouldn't have made the post...I just was frustrated because I know the D was going to turn and when I said so I was ridiculed and that's fine... I have tough skin but there is also this other part of me that I try to suppress that LOVES to punch back.. and if one dishes it out those people should be able to take it back... I don't REALLY care what people think... not really but sometimes it's VERY frustrating for me when I see something, I know its right and others are telling me I'm dilutional it is implying that I'm lame and that's just not true... I don't know football as well as some but I have a keen sense for the Hawks... and thats just true... so I apologize for making the post I let one get away...

LTH
    You should be commended for your effort, our defense has played well enough, if not well for the pass few weeks with noticeable improvement week by week. Pass rush still suck and yes out of four drafted for pass rush: Green, Collier, Taylor, and Robinson, only Taylor looked the part. Dunlap somehow disappeared this season.

It took courage to not follow the narrative, with that, you are the man..

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:41 am
  • I'm not a stat guy I don't even know what DVOA is nor do I really care... I see stats as a tool and I don't think you can Judge a D on what the stats say for the whole year just about the last 3 games... I just know that this D is miles better than the first part of the season... This is a really formidable D and they will prove this today and if not i guess i will have a bit of egg on my face but I like this D a lot it has TONS of potential they are getting better every week!

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:06 pm
  • I appreciate the optimists talking us off the ledge.

Things are rarely as good as you hope or as bad as you fear.

But this about the Seahawks. Nobody should be calling people out personally.

Nothing wrong with being wrong. And I've been right about a number of things I was really hoping to be wrong about.

Being right sucks too.

Nobody should feel crappy about themself because of a football game, a message board, or the people on the board.

I would love to find out you are right LTH. Just not as optimistic about this defense as you are.

At least it is getting better, no longer the worst that ever was. Just still does not seem very good.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:32 pm
  • You might want to reconsider this thread LTH.

PS - I told you so
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:00 pm
  • LMAO!!! Ok then... but truthfully u know as well as i do that this loss was not on the D.. they played well enough to win...no starting corners huge TOP to cards...this loss was on the O... but if u want to rub it in thats fine i have thick skin go for it
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:17 pm
  • LTH wrote:LMAO!!! Ok then... but truthfully u know as well as i do that this loss was not on the D.. they played well enough to win...no starting corners huge TOP to cards...this loss was on the O... but if u want to rub it in thats fine i have thick skin go for it

The defense was awful today. Allowing long sustained drives, cant tackle at all, cant cover (McCoy was 35/44 for 328 and 2 TD's), cant get off the field. The Hawks finally score to get them within 3 (due to Prater leaving 7 points off the board) and the defense immediately gives up another TD drive. The defense had every bit as much blame for that loss than the offense did. They stunk. Same old defense.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:32 pm
  • LOL! What? If not for 7 points Prater left off the board for the Cardinals, they would've scored 30 points against you. This seems like a weird thing to talk crap about.
    Stud
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:40 pm
  • Stud wrote:LOL! What? If not for 7 points Prater left off the board for the Cardinals, they would've scored 30 points against you. This seems like a weird thing to talk crap about.

Well the defense made a turn and is now formidable. Never forget that.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:54 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Stud wrote:LOL! What? If not for 7 points Prater left off the board for the Cardinals, they would've scored 30 points against you. This seems like a weird thing to talk crap about.

Well the defense made a turn and is now formidable. Never forget that.

This is true... i never said this was a great d i said this D was improving every week andbit was a formidable D...
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:59 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    LTH wrote:LMAO!!! Ok then... but truthfully u know as well as i do that this loss was not on the D.. they played well enough to win...no starting corners huge TOP to cards...this loss was on the O... but if u want to rub it in thats fine i have thick skin go for it

The defense was awful today. Allowing long sustained drives, cant tackle at all, cant cover (McCoy was 35/44 for 328 and 2 TD's), cant get off the field. The Hawks finally score to get them within 3 (due to Prater leaving 7 points off the board) and the defense immediately gives up another TD drive. The defense had every bit as much blame for that loss than the offense did. They stunk. Same old defense.

I am on my 25th wedding aniversary dinner and so i dont have time to look at the stats but i think TOP was 40 cards 20 hawks so even if the hawks had a top 5 D there is no way that D is going to be competitive in thev4th quarter... especially having lost both starting corners...LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:08 pm
  • Well the defense got carved up by a backup QB.

And run all over.

But the offense did nothing to help.

Neither did the coaching staff.

So complaining about the D for this game seems misguided.

Plenty went wrong, with everything. The D was not great, or even good. But it wasn't the biggest problem today.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:08 pm
  • So the offense was on the field for 45 snaps and the defense was on the field for 77 snaps. That's 32 more snaps that the defense was on the field. The defense was exhausted by the fourth quarter again this week.

Is it time to consider taking a few roster spots away from the offense and giving those spots to the defense?
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:14 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Well the defense got carved up by a backup QB.

And run all over.

But the offense did nothing to help.

Neither did the coaching staff.

So complaining about the D for this game seems misguided.

Plenty went wrong, with everything. The D was not great, or even good. But it wasn't the biggest problem today.

This I agree with.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:17 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    LTH wrote:LMAO!!! Ok then... but truthfully u know as well as i do that this loss was not on the D.. they played well enough to win...no starting corners huge TOP to cards...this loss was on the O... but if u want to rub it in thats fine i have thick skin go for it

I am on my 25th wedding aniversary dinner and so i dont have time to look at the stats but i think TOP was 40 cards 20 hawks so even if the hawks had a top 5 D there is no way that D is going to be competitive in thev4th quarter... especially having lost both starting corners...LTH

I'm sick of hearing about the TOP all the time when the defense is at much fault for it as the offense. They cant get off the field.

Anyways here is the definition of formidable -

for·mi·da·ble
    /ˈfôrmədəb(ə)l,fərˈmidəb(ə)l/
    inspiring fear or respect through being impressively large, powerful, intense, or capable.
    "a formidable opponent"

LOL. The Seahawks defense is not that. Just the opposite actually.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:24 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    LTH wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

I'm sick of hearing about the TOP all the time when the defense is at much fault for it as the offense. They cant get off the field.

Anyways here is the definition of formidable -

for·mi·da·ble
    /ˈfôrmədəb(ə)l,fərˈmidəb(ə)l/
    inspiring fear or respect through being impressively large, powerful, intense, or capable.
    "a formidable opponent"

LOL. The Seahawks defense is not that. Just the opposite actually.

The irony is they could be if allowed to play aggressive and down hill rather then on their heels back pedaling all day.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:27 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:The irony is they could be if allowed to play aggressive and down hill rather then on their heels back pedaling all day.

I agree with you there. Still cant tackle or rush the QB though.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:50 pm
  • The biggest problem with the D is the sheer amount of draft capital we have dumped into it for years, just to get something that is barely palatable - if not middling to poor.

And yes, part of the problem is we regularly give up long drives which gives our offense precious few spins of the wheel.

Yes, our offense has the highest paid player. But we have dumped tons of draft and trade capital into the D to just make it barely worthwhile.

The D SHOULD be the strongest part of this team, because we keep spending on it.

The question is why?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:35 am
  • I've been curious about something that yesterday's game seemed to highlight: Why does Seattle's defensive line always seem to rush straight ahead, all at the same speed? It looks like their collective goal is just to get upfield as quickly as possible, with no consideration of what their teammates are doing.

On the other hand, d-lines such as Arizona's appear to rush with actual strategy — stunts, guys opening lanes for their teammates, pushing upfield with the ends while hanging back a bit with the tackles in order to contain potential escape routes for the QB.

I'm not an Xs and Os expert, but what I'm seeing is the Hawks' defense madly rushing with no particular strategy, which often turns out how you might expect a mindless, every-man-for-himself push to turn out. Is anyone else seeing this?
    Somos doces
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:54 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    The irony is they could be if allowed to play aggressive and down hill rather then on their heels back pedaling all day.

Yes like they did against Peyton in 48.

They gave up the soft underneath stuff, but punished any receiver, TE, or back as soon as they caught the ball.

Now they give up the soft underneath stuff and there is no punishment. Instead, there is a gaping hole for a first down on 3rd and 10.

I miss Kam Chancellor.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:15 am
  • hoxrox wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Yes like they did against Peyton in 48.

They gave up the soft underneath stuff, but punished any receiver, TE, or back as soon as they caught the ball.

Now they give up the soft underneath stuff and there is no punishment. Instead, there is a gaping hole for a first down on 3rd and 10.

I miss Kam Chancellor.

I know people will argue oh the rules have changed, yet I see other teams punish our guys regularly and hit people. There is a line we can move to that will make a statement, just don't cross it frequently.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:32 am
  • Jville wrote:So the offense was on the field for 45 snaps and the defense was on the field for 77 snaps. That's 32 more snaps that the defense was on the field. The defense was exhausted by the fourth quarter again this week.

Is it time to consider taking a few roster spots away from the offense and giving those spots to the defense?

Snap counts against the Cards:

Dunlap 17
    Robinson 19
    Mone 27
    Neal 11
    Barton 9

Hard to blame this on the D being exhausted.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:35 am
  • massari wrote:
    Jville wrote:So the offense was on the field for 45 snaps and the defense was on the field for 77 snaps. That's 32 more snaps that the defense was on the field. The defense was exhausted by the fourth quarter again this week.

Snap counts against the Cards:

Dunlap 17
    Robinson 19
    Mone 27
    Neal 11
    Barton 9

Hard to blame this on the D being exhausted.

Mone is the only one that really isn't situational but still in a rotation, you kind of left out the other 10 or so guys............
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:46 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Mone is the only one that really isn't situational but still in a rotation, you kind of left out the other 10 or so guys............

Point being those guys would've had a lot more snaps if cardio was an issue
    massari
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:51 am
  • It's sad that you think this mediocre defense is anywhere near "great."

They just gave up 23 points to a team with a backup QB who threw for over 300 yards and 2 TD's without their #1 wide receiver.

If that's great then you need to re-adjust your metrics. This is a defense that went from horrific to mediocre.

Congrats?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:16 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:It's sad that you think this mediocre defense is anywhere near "great."

They just gave up 23 points to a team with a backup QB who threw for over 300 yards and 2 TD's without their #1 wide receiver.

If that's great then you need to re-adjust your metrics. This is a defense that went from horrific to mediocre.

Congrats?

Exactly. They went from being historically bad to just bad and thats the turn we should be happy about?
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:31 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:It's sad that you think this mediocre defense is anywhere near "great."

Congrats?

Exactly. They went from being historically bad to just bad and thats the turn we should be happy about?

I think NOT I think this D is legit! they give up some yards and they are not perfect but they looked pretty good tonight in a crazy game... Got to love their play!

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:53 pm
  • D was good enough to win tonight. D has evolved from an NFL-worst to perhaps a slightly-above-average unit, aside from being weak in pass rush.

Now, can Hawks D slow down the Rams and Cardinals offenses, that is the question.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:23 pm
  • The defense literally prevented the Niners from crossing midfield for almost the entire second half aside from ONE drive that ended with a red zone stand on 4 plays. They got burned early and then pitched a shutout for the rest of the game.

Our defense is good. Why does this seem to upset people?

We've been in every game all the way to the 4th quarter including a game where our offense scored ZERO points. Any defense that keeps you in the game (against the Green Bay Packers, the current number two in the NFC) all the way until the 4th quarter when your offense has scored NOTHING is not bad.

Yeah, we give up a lot of yards, but that's a byproduct of our TOP problems. An offensive issue that shows up in the defensive stats. In the metrics that matter, our D looks good.

The only issue is that they are good but frustrating. Yeah, we lose guys in the middle of our zone scheme too often and don't adjust to either a different scheme or to man as fast as I'd like. We tend to lose star players and get burned by the same guy over and over.

But again, even this stuff wouldn't stand out as much if our offense did what they are supposed to do. We get burned a lot because the other team has more chances to burn us.
    DarkVictory23
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:29 pm
  • DarkVictory23 wrote:The defense literally prevented the Niners from crossing midfield for almost the entire second half aside from ONE drive that ended with a red zone stand on 4 plays. They got burned early and then pitched a shutout for the rest of the game.

Our defense is good. Why does this seem to upset people?

We've been in every game all the way to the 4th quarter including a game where our offense scored ZERO points. Any defense that keeps you in the game (against the Green Bay Packers, the current number two in the NFC) all the way until the 4th quarter when your offense has scored NOTHING is not bad.

Yeah, we give up a lot of yards, but that's a byproduct of our TOP problems. An offensive issue that shows up in the defensive stats. In the metrics that matter, our D looks good.

The only issue is that they are good but frustrating. Yeah, we lose guys in the middle of our zone scheme too often and don't adjust to either a different scheme or to man as fast as I'd like. We tend to lose star players and get burned by the same guy over and over.

But again, even this stuff wouldn't stand out as much if our offense did what they are supposed to do. We get burned a lot because the other team has more chances to burn us.

Ill tell you why it because some people would rather the team lose than be wrong in their assessment. Then other people read what they write and get sucked into the negativity.

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:02 am
  • They play well in spurts, but my lord they might be the worst tackling defense i've ever seen. They need to tighten that up.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:19 am
  • What really good offensive team with a top tier QB have the Hawks D played this year so far and won ? They have lost to 2 backup QBs BTW .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:00 am
  • xray wrote:What really good offensive team with a top tier QB have the Hawks D played this year so far and won ? They have lost to 2 backup QBs BTW .

* A win is always a good time especially against a divisional rival and especially a sweep against THIS divisional rival. So Happy on all accounts for this win.

Okay moving on

- The D is not "Great" But it sure as hell looks better than before. At this point this D is good enough to make this team a contender with a few more modifications and ideally a clicking offense. BUT that also would only be the case to start the season, not the hole that this team is in currently. This season is over.

- The "scheme" still needs modifications and suffers tremendously without key aspects working. i.e. A lot of times JG seemed to have all day to throw. Tight Ends like Kittle (he is a beast) made the defense look bad. Without multiple crucial turn overs from bad QB throws this D will still be an issue as opposing teams still drive up the field at relative ease.

Anyway a win was nice to see, nice to turn overs, safety was great. Consistent QB pressure still needs work, There were quite a few times where the WRs for the Niners were way too open. Allowing teams to burn clock and drive up the field also still an issue.

TL;DR: D looks better than it did to start the season for sure, its far from "Great", team is too large of a hole at this point for any of it to matter. D still has work to do to be "Great" and offense needs to be way more consistent as well...but once again team too large of a hole for this season realistically to matter.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:22 am
  • ZagHawk wrote:
    xray wrote:What really good offensive team with a top tier QB have the Hawks D played this year so far and won ? They have lost to 2 backup QBs BTW .

* A win is always a good time especially against a divisional rival and especially a sweep against THIS divisional rival. So Happy on all accounts for this win.

Okay moving on

- The D is not "Great" But it sure as hell looks better than before. At this point this D is good enough to make this team a contender with a few more modifications and ideally a clicking offense. BUT that also would only be the case to start the season, not the hole that this team is in currently. This season is over.

- The "scheme" still needs modifications and suffers tremendously without key aspects working. i.e. A lot of times JG seemed to have all day to throw. Tight Ends like Kittle (he is a beast) made the defense look bad. Without multiple crucial turn overs from bad QB throws this D will still be an issue as opposing teams still drive up the field at relative ease.

Anyway a win was nice to see, nice to turn overs, safety was great. Consistent QB pressure still needs work, There were quite a few times where the WRs for the Niners were way too open. Allowing teams to burn clock and drive up the field also still an issue.

TL;DR: D looks better than it did to start the season for sure, its far from "Great", team is too large of a hole at this point for any of it to matter. D still has work to do to be "Great" and offense needs to be way more consistent as well...but once again team too large of a hole for this season realistically to matter.

Well, that's good you have made a little bit of progress. You have gone from this D is NOT getting better, it's the worst D in the NFL Norton should be fired immediately and the whole D should be gutted completely, to, this D is not great but sure looks better than before.

LOL

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Next

It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information