Seahawks rank #3 in special teams

LTH

Reaction score
https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/special-teams

Special teams is a very over looked part of this game. The Seahawks have typically been very good at special teams and actually very aggressive at using special teams as a weapon. (Stat guys you are on)

I think that Eskridge might be a boost running back kick offs or punts this might be an area that could give the hawks better field position and hopefully a TD or two which doesn't seem to happen much any more why is that fro your perspective?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SftUbB8nsBA

Larry Izzo Has done a fantastic job at coaching this unit I would like to see this unit used more as a weapon..as that's exciting. I know they practice weird plays like the onside kick touchdown with Homer.

What are your thoughts on this unit?

Do you think we are going to see more trick plays?

What are your favorite special teams plays of the year?

LTH

Jville

Reaction score
I'm unfamiliar with that stat site and how they weigh the elements of their team rankings. So I'll defer to others.
...................................................................................................................................................................

But this has definitely been an entertaining year.

The best two plays IMO .....................

The double punt by Michael Dickson.

And the onside kick return for a TD by Travis Homer.

.................... both plays were once in a life time plays. And they came in the same year.

Could we see a third?

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I think its an interesting question...If the Hawks are looking for a boost, a fake field goal or a fake punt might make the difference in winning the game. of course if it fails then everybody is going to dog Carroll LOL but I could see an aggressive special teams unit used as a weapon. I'm looking for it in this game against AZ. Special teams is a strength for the Hawks so why not?

LTH

balakoth

Reaction score
LTH":1b8hnbv8 said:
I think its an interesting question...If the Hawks are looking for a boost, a fake field goal or a fake punt might make the difference in winning the game. of course if it fails then everybody is going to dog Carroll LOL but I could see an aggressive special teams unit used as a weapon. I'm looking for it in this game against AZ. Special teams is a strength for the Hawks so why not?

LTH

We could always have RW audible into a flea flicker on a 2nd and 4 a few more times while Collins was averaging 5.3 ypc (AT THE TIME.. it dropped to 4.1 with some really ridiculous calls) ... that would surprise me and be "tricky"..... maybe not.. but maybe.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
balakoth":3410kq97 said:
LTH":3410kq97 said:

LTH

We could always have RW audible into a flea flicker on a 2nd and 4 a few more times while Collins was averaging 5.3 ypc (AT THE TIME.. it dropped to 4.1 with some really ridiculous calls) ... that would surprise me and be "tricky"..... maybe not.. but maybe.

Didn't realize that flea flicker happened on special teams.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Great special teams play!!! Homer is a special teams stud!! and Nick Balore was great! this unit is playing REALLY good and they are using it as a weapon I just knew they were going to make this unit a weapon!

LTH

Jville

Reaction score
LTH":3ud8gs5a said:

LTH

One week delayed. But, looks like you called it ............. [tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1467609097956577280[/tweet]
.......................... could there be a fourth?

Nice to see all three teams score. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Jville":37avqny3 said:
LTH":37avqny3 said:

LTH

One week delayed. But, looks like you called it ............. [tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1467609097956577280[/tweet]

Thats not why I posted this but I just think special teams on this team are spunky!!! I like the way they play and i like the fact that Carroll isn't afraid to use this unit as a weapon a sign of good creative coaching!!

LTH

Jville

Reaction score
LTH":29c7on5d said:
Jville":29c7on5d said:
LTH":29c7on5d said:

LTH

Thats not why I posted this but I just think special teams on this team are spunky!!! I like the way they play and i like the fact that Carroll isn't afraid to use this unit as a weapon a sign of good creative coaching!!

LTH

In the post game press conferences Nick Bellore credited Travis Homer with making the pre snap play call for that direct snap return. Coaches delegate the authority to players to make a play call if they see the requisite look the play book requires. The notion that coaches micromanage everything that happens in a game is inaccurate. Delegation of authority is built into the play book. Game announcers and fans consistently deny the delegation of authority to players on the field on game day and instead perpetuate myths of micro management.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":txfkbogx said:
Special teams have rocked

I LOVE the fact they are so aggressive. problem now is that every team is going to be looking for it so they will have to get just that much more creative. I got a nick name for these guys "Kamikaze Commandos"

Kamikaze means divine wind

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
Everyone, including myself, have bitch about our poor drafts. But one of the best moves we've ever made is when we traded up to get Michael Dickson in the 5th round. The guy has paid dividends.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1aqcjt73 said:
That play brought an energy we haven't seen at the stadium all year.

And the NOISE that has been missing for quite awhile now. It was refreshing to hear the 12's in full roar. Even with a plethora of 9ers fans, we were LOUD!

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":11v6d171 said:
SoulfishHawk":11v6d171 said:
That play brought an energy we haven't seen at the stadium all year.

And the NOISE that has been missing for quite awhile now. It was refreshing to hear the 12's in full roar. Even with a plethora of 9ers fans, we were LOUD!

That is so cool!! you guys were rocking it hard!!! I heard that the whole stadium was rumbling...I actually looked at the schedule wrong and i was going to go to the upcoming Rams game but then I realized that it was in LA... total brain fart on my part... I've missed all the division games...dang..LOL

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
So far this season we have seen fumble recoveries on punt and kickoff, a blocked extra point, an onside kick recovery that was called back but it was still a WAY cool play, a fake punt touch down, and a bunch of killer hits... a double punt any team who isn't looking at this Unit as a threat is STUPID...

I'm calling for a fake field goal TD... the other thing that just wouldn't surprise me that you NEVER see in the NFL is a punted FG from Dickson not exactly sure how that would work I actually think MD has done that before Maybe i dreampt that one not sure. I know if they get the right look somnething is going to happen ...

Thoughts?

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Rat":3hjpftf6 said:
Dickson had better be All-Pro. Probably our only one though.

I could not imagine Homer and Ballore not being all pro's in special teams those guys are Phenomenal.

LTH

Rat

Reaction score
LTH":3nfhxyxi said:
Rat":3nfhxyxi said:
Dickson had better be All-Pro. Probably our only one though.

I could not imagine Homer and Ballore not being all pro's in special teams those guys are Phenomenal.

LTH

I would think Bellore has an excellent chance, but I cant pretend I've paid enough attention to the play of other teams' ST guys to say for sure that he's a shoe-in.

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":24o2hdb4 said:
So far this season we have seen fumble recoveries on punt and kickoff, a blocked extra point, an onside kick recovery that was called back but it was still a WAY cool play, a fake punt touch down, and a bunch of killer hits... a double punt any team who isn't looking at this Unit as a threat is STUPID...

I'm calling for a fake field goal TD... the other thing that just wouldn't surprise me that you NEVER see in the NFL is a punted FG from Dickson not exactly sure how that would work I actually think MD has done that before Maybe i dreampt that one not sure. I know if they get the right look somnething is going to happen ...

Thoughts?

LTH

Special teams, in particular the punt/kickoff teams, are a huge advantage when you have a top 5 defense, not nearly as much when your defense is ranked 31st.

I think that's why Pete moved up in the draft to take Dickson. He knew how valuable he'd be to his ideal defense such as we had during the LOB years.