Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is the problem!!

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
This is the problem!!
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:17 pm
  • "“Honestly, all of these teams are not playing what they play on film," Lockett remarked. "They are literally not, so it’s hard to be able to get ready. Every time you get ready to go against a team, they might play man-to-man their whole entire 7-8 games, and then they play us, and they don’t play man once.""

"As emphasized by Carroll, Lockett, and several players on Sunday, the Seahawks have been happy with what they've accomplished on the practice field leading up to games in recent weeks. But that hasn't translated to game action and Lockett's comments suggest part of that may be due to game planning complications with other teams changing things up when they play them."

This spells a lack of adjustments and that is coaching

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/tyler-lockett-russell-wilson-offer-differing-assessment-of-seahawks-third-down-struggles

OF course, there is more. But the point is its a huge issue and only coaching can solve it problem is, it has existed for some time and is only now costing them big.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Re: This is the problem!!
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:22 pm
  • Except Russ and Pete came out and said the Cards did what was expected and they didn't know what Tyler was referring to.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:22 pm
  • John63 wrote:"“Honestly, all of these teams are not playing what they play on film," Lockett remarked. "They are literally not, so it’s hard to be able to get ready. Every time you get ready to go against a team, they might play man-to-man their whole entire 7-8 games, and then they play us, and they don’t play man once.""

"As emphasized by Carroll, Lockett, and several players on Sunday, the Seahawks have been happy with what they've accomplished on the practice field leading up to games in recent weeks. But that hasn't translated to game action and Lockett's comments suggest part of that may be due to game planning complications with other teams changing things up when they play them."

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/tyler-lockett-russell-wilson-offer-differing-assessment-of-seahawks-third-down-struggles

OF course, there is more. But the point is its a huge issue and only coaching can solve it problem is, it has existed for some time and is only now costing them big.

Again I ask the question why do you think Carroll is running the O? what information do you have that I don't?

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:35 pm
  • If there is a legit criticism I'm all on it... I just don't see this as being all on Carroll.. yes he is ultimately responsible for what happens and yeah at the end of the season I will judge him on what happened during this season and if it turns out that this team quit on him I will be on board with him being fired I just don't see where people are getting thier info from guys like Colin Cowered or what ever his name is... where is he getting his info from?

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:36 pm
  • John63 wrote:"“Honestly, all of these teams are not playing what they play on film," Lockett remarked. "They are literally not, so it’s hard to be able to get ready. Every time you get ready to go against a team, they might play man-to-man their whole entire 7-8 games, and then they play us, and they don’t play man once.""

FINALLY, a half page rebuttals instead of a one word cameo. J63 is almost back!
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:47 pm
  • LTH wrote:If there is a legit criticism I'm all on it... I just don't see this as being all on Carroll.. yes he is ultimately responsible for what happens and yeah at the end of the season I will judge him on what happened during this season and if it turns out that this team quit on him I will be on board with him being fired I just don't see where people are getting thier info from guys like Colin Cowered or what ever his name is... where is he getting his info from?

LTH

I've been asked this to many times and here is my opinion. It's not Waldron and people need to stop blaming Waldron. It's a little bit of the O-Line but the main problem people keep avoiding is Wilson. This dude needs to start playing like a west coast QB and man that god damn pocket like a man and stop playing like a backyard QB. Wilson needs to learn how to pick a defense apart and construct an actual drive to eat up clock time. Wilson is the complete opposite of that. I think Wilson has always been awful and don't understand why people have a hard on for this guy. He's a terrible QB and no one will convince me otherwise. Take away that deep ball and you are left with a below average QB who can't read or pick a defense apart. I don't give a damn what people say about this, it's facts 100 percent. Just sit and watch Wilson play really focus on Wilson. He looks like he has no clue what the hell is going on half of the time.
    hawks85
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:06 pm
  • The problem is there are so many problems.

That is the nature of a losing team, every facet ends up wanting.

There is nothing to fix.

We chose to ignore problems when they first manifested. We made excuses instead of self assessed and addressed.

Now we have issues all over the place, and who knows how that is playing in the locker room.

We know the fanbase is breaking into factions, sure that their guy is the only redeemable part of this plan and the only pathway forward.

So it probably isn't one thing.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:10 pm

You're outright disagreeing with Russell Wilson by agreeing with Tyler Lockett here.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:24 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    John63 wrote:"“Honestly, all of these teams are not playing what they play on film," Lockett remarked. "They are literally not, so it’s hard to be able to get ready. Every time you get ready to go against a team, they might play man-to-man their whole entire 7-8 games, and then they play us, and they don’t play man once.""

You're outright disagreeing with Russell Wilson by agreeing with Tyler Lockett here.

If John turned his back on Russ, then Russ's days in Seattle is done. Although John hasn't quite been his usual 1000 word stats filled rebuttal machine, he has been allowing the LHL of the world picking Russ's games apart.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:32 pm
  • It's impossible to diagnose a car thats running badly without first starting with the most simple, fundamental of things.

Fuel
    Air
    Spark.

If you don't confirm that's working correctly, you'll be chasing your tail forever and throwing good money after bad. A failure in those three areas can manifest in a dozen other different ways and cause more issues if not corrected.

Football is similar in that sense, except on offense those three elements are embodied in qb play to degree. There was a quote tonight on MNF by one of the broadcasters that, 'average qb play gets people fired'.. The qb play on this team is average at best, save for the impossible throws down field. And when that play is off, the decision making is bad, the line can look horrid, receivers can look bad because 'they aren't open', the running game can look stale because it's never given a chance to get in rhythm, etc, etc etc. Sometimes those things are causes for the offense to look bad, other times they are symptoms of bad qb play. At times we've experienced both. But there is no doubt that for better than a year now, the sub-par qb play is Gumming everything up.

As to Lockett saying what he did. That's exactly the same thing many here have been saying. What offense did we run against the Titans? Same one we ran the following week, and the week after and the week after and the week after. He's not letting Russ off the hook. Russ is scripting the gamelan with Waldron and even Waldron has been critical of the QB play.

And adjusting to man looks from zone looks don't require redoing the game plan. It's a simple change of play. TAKING WHATS THERE. Russ is playing it the same way every week and defending it.

Kurt Warner called out the same thing... distinguishing between how Russ should know how to attack zone vs man and he plays it the same way.

So what's the hypothesis here, that Waldron, who was never associated with the Russball, heave and a prayer offense thats Russ defends nonstop actually goes into weekly game planning thinking that THATS going to be the thing that wins the day?

I think the signs of Waldron in the playcalling are plays to Everett... some of the only on schedule plays that worked. Everett came here with him. He knows him and is getting him the ball in the few instances Russ isn't just dictating what he wants to run.

No news here but more of what's obvious. Russ is doing Russ.
    keasley45
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:48 pm
  • keasley45 wrote:It's impossible to diagnose a car thats running badly without first starting with the most simple, fundamental of things.

Fuel
    Air
    Spark.

If you don't confirm that's working correctly, you'll be chasing your tail forever and throwing good money after bad. A failure in those three areas can manifest in a dozen other different ways and cause more issues if not corrected.

Football is similar in that sense, except on offense those three elements are embodied in qb play to degree. There was a quote tonight on MNF by one of the broadcasters that, 'average qb play gets people fired'.. The qb play on this team is average at best, save for the impossible throws down field. And when that play is off, the decision making is bad, the line can look horrid, receivers can look bad because 'they aren't open', the running game can look stale because it's never given a chance to get in rhythm, etc, etc etc. Sometimes those things are causes for the offense to look bad, other times they are symptoms of bad qb play. At times we've experienced both. But there is no doubt that for better than a year now, the sub-par qb play is Gumming everything up.

As to Lockett saying what he did. That's exactly the same thing many here have been saying. What offense did we run against the Titans? Same one we ran the following week, and the week after and the week after and the week after. He's not letting Russ off the hook. Russ is scripting the gamelan with Waldron and even Waldron has been critical of the QB play.

And adjusting to man looks from zone looks don't require redoing the game plan. It's a simple change of play. TAKING WHATS THERE. Russ is playing it the same way every week and defending it.

Kurt Warner called out the same thing... distinguishing between how Russ should know how to attack zone vs man and he plays it the same way.

So what's the hypothesis here, that Waldron, who was never associated with the Russball, heave and a prayer offense thats Russ defends nonstop actually goes into weekly game planning thinking that THATS going to be the thing that wins the day?

I think the signs of Waldron in the playcalling are plays to Everett... some of the only on schedule plays that worked. Everett came here with him. He knows him and is getting him the ball in the few instances Russ isn't just dictating what he wants to run.

I have been on this train for a long time, that Pete has been weak and let Russ had his ways with offense. That, however, was and is my speculation. You and I were not in the locker room, on the sideline, or in the huddle, we can speculate all we want, it still just speculation. I did find it unusual that two of Russ's most productive WRs, Angry and Lockett turned on him.

Oh John63 has direct access on all conversations on the sideline, may be he can help.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:58 pm
  • Like I said huge problem coaching issue.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:00 pm
  • John63 wrote:Like I said huge problem coaching issue.

Where's the old John and his essays when we need him to make conversation go back and forth?
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:10 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Except Russ and Pete came out and said the Cards did what was expected and they didn't know what Tyler was referring to.

Tyler was referring to the players, not the coaches. Here's a direct quote from his presser.

That is the biggest thing with us being able to convert 3rd downs and being able to move the ball forward. It's just being able to see what they are playing and what we need to do to be able to beat it. If we can learn that as players faster in the first or second quarter, then the whole entire game will be different.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/what-the- ... -cardinals
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 pm
  • hoxrox wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Except Russ and Pete came out and said the Cards did what was expected and they didn't know what Tyler was referring to.

Tyler was referring to the players, not the coaches. Here's a direct quote from his presser.

That is the biggest thing with us being able to convert 3rd downs and being able to move the ball forward. It's just being able to see what they are playing and what we need to do to be able to beat it. If we can learn that as players faster in the first or second quarter, then the whole entire game will be different.

^^^ That's right.

An additional quote from the OP's link follows ..............
    When asked about Lockett's remarks during his Monday press conference, Carroll didn't concur, initially responding, "You're assuming that he's right."

After pausing for a second, Carroll took a step back to avoid calling out his own player, saying opponents do tend to play the Seahawks using a different defensive strategy than they would against other teams based on Wilson's mobility and their personnel. But as far as being prepared is concerned, he didn't agree with Lockett's premise that the Cardinals threw wrinkles at them they weren't ready for.

"That's nothing new for us at all. We didn't have any problem knowing what they were doing," Carroll added.

Interestingly, when asked for his opinion on the Seahawks' third down issues, Wilson also seemed to disagree with Lockett's take and shot it down. While the Cardinals may have presented a few different coverages from what they game planned for, he didn't see anything from them that surprised him, telling reporters they played Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 4, Cover 6, and a "good amount" of match-man coverage.

................ so Tyler's view is that it's players that need to see and learn faster what what opponents are throwing at them earlier on in a game.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:44 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    keasley45 wrote:It's impossible to diagnose a car thats running badly without first starting with the most simple, fundamental of things.

Fuel
    Air
    Spark.

I have been on this train for a long time, that Pete has been weak and let Russ had his ways with offense. That, however, was and is my speculation. You and I were not in the locker room, on the sideline, or in the huddle, we can speculate all we want, it still just speculation. I did find it unusual that two of Russ's most productive WRs, Angry and Lockett turned on him.

Oh John63 has direct access on all conversations on the sideline, may be he can help.

Doug was that slot guy open underneath over the middle that Russell doesn't see when drives stall out. He never said it plainly in public, but he got in Russell's ass about it on the sidelines and I'm sure in the film room. That scenario turned Doug into ADB. That is what we're missing on this offense. They're missing that person who will hold Russell accountable on the field during the game. Tyler is too nice. DK still too green, but he has the personality to eventually do it if they played together long enough.
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:53 pm
  • OrangeGravy wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    keasley45 wrote:It's impossible to diagnose a car thats running badly without first starting with the most simple, fundamental of things.

Fuel
    Air
    Spark.

Doug was that slot guy open underneath over the middle that Russell doesn't see when drives stall out. He never said it plainly in public, but he got in Russell's ass about it on the sidelines and I'm sure in the film room. That scenario turned Doug into ADB. That is what we're missing on this offense. They're missing that person who will hold Russell accountable on the field during the game. Tyler is too nice. DK still too green, but he has the personality to eventually do it if they played together long enough.

Elite WRs often make their QB look good, Angry's an elite slot receiver, if you watch enough film, he did make Russ looked good. Or you can say Russ made him look good. Lockett no doubt made Russ looked good by making adjustments when Russ was doing his escape routine, if Tyler couldn't make himself open, Russ's running around buying would be just running around.
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 pm
  • hoxrox wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Except Russ and Pete came out and said the Cards did what was expected and they didn't know what Tyler was referring to.

It's a combination of both the players and the coaches.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:26 am
  • If this is truly a Rams consept offense the WR have read options depending on the way a defender plays them and adjusts the route accordingly, the QB has to also read that and know where the WR is going to go as well, maybe this is what Lockett is referring to. Previously Schotty and Bevel had simple route trees and then the scramble drill.

Reading and adjustment on the fly is new to our receivers here and certainly new to Russell here.

The disconnect could be there in some cases, that still does not excuse missing wide open guys Wilson clearly see's and decides not to throw too.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:39 am

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:31 am
  • I don't disagree with anything Tyler says here. He is talking not just about the players ability to recognize what the defense is doing, but the ability of the coaches and players to find a solution from the list of choices they have available. And no, Pete isn't involved in that process directly but as the person who employs Russ, Waldron, and Dickerson then he is responsible for their efforts.

Many here do not seem to understand how much work goes into developing and practicing specific plays. There are a ton of specific nuances for each one that are hammered through with repetition. By the time it gets to game day, they aren't just drawing up new plays in the dirt like a Disney movie, they are looking at a list of 30 or so of their favorite plays that they practiced over and over and determining which would take best advantage of whatever wrinkles they are seeing.

I'm also going to keep mentioning that this is a new scheme under limited practice rules. Nobody should expect anywhere near 100% effectiveness yet. It would be nice if we were at 75% effectiveness, and when it looks like we are at 0% effectiveness that is a major problem that casts legitimate doubt on the whole endeavor. But it is a valid excuse, and excuses are explanations.

Another factor to keep in mind with play calling is that there is a factor of luck involved. It's akin to a game of rock-paper-scissors where there is a sizeable element of guesswork. A good play can look stupid if the defense guesses right, and a bad play can look great if the defense guesses wrong.

A good example of this is when you see the DB start off in press coverage, back off right before the snap, and then Russ looks immediately hesitant. That's because his first option was probably a shot to that receiver but now he doesn't want to throw it against off coverage. On the other hand, if we had a little quick out dialed up then it suddenly looks great and picks up 10 yards, with the only difference being pure guesswork from the defender immediately before the snap.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:01 am
  • AgentDib wrote:I don't disagree with anything Tyler says here. He is talking not just about the players ability to recognize what the defense is doing, but the ability of the coaches and players to find a solution from the list of choices they have available. And no, Pete isn't involved in that process directly but as the person who employs Russ, Waldron, and Dickerson then he is responsible for their efforts.

Many here do not seem to understand how much work goes into developing and practicing specific plays. There are a ton of specific nuances for each one that are hammered through with repetition. By the time it gets to game day, they aren't just drawing up new plays in the dirt like a Disney movie, they are looking at a list of 30 or so of their favorite plays that they practiced over and over and determining which would take best advantage of whatever wrinkles they are seeing.

I'm also going to keep mentioning that this is a new scheme under limited practice rules. Nobody should expect anywhere near 100% effectiveness yet. It would be nice if we were at 75% effectiveness, and when it looks like we are at 0% effectiveness that is a major problem that casts legitimate doubt on the whole endeavor. But it is a valid excuse, and excuses are explanations.

Another factor to keep in mind with play calling is that there is a factor of luck involved. It's akin to a game of rock-paper-scissors where there is a sizeable element of guesswork. A good play can look stupid if the defense guesses right, and a bad play can look great if the defense guesses wrong.

A good example of this is when you see the DB start off in press coverage, back off right before the snap, and then Russ looks immediately hesitant. That's because his first option was probably a shot to that receiver but now he doesn't want to throw it against off coverage. On the other hand, if we had a little quick out dialed up then it suddenly looks great and picks up 10 yards, with the only difference being pure guesswork from the defender immediately before the snap.

This all true and why passing plays are designed with route combinations to counter some of that randomness. Good QBs get paid to decipher those nuances and get the ball to the best option. Bad QBs either can't do it or can't do it fast enough to be effective
    OrangeGravy
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:07 am
  • So they play the game exactly how they practiced for an opponent ; regardless how the opponent presents itself during the actual game ? SNAFU
    xray
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:30 am

Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:36 am
  • Tical21 wrote:Except Russ and Pete came out and said the Cards did what was expected and they didn't know what Tyler was referring to.

Which is worse, teams doing different things than you're seeing on film or admitting they're doing what you saw on film, and you still couldn't come up with gameplans and playcalls to be successful.

Pete should have sided with Tyler, what he said is worse. "Oh yeah, teams are doing what we see on film, but hey we still have no answers!"
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:46 am
  • Seems like an easy problem to me. Just do the opposite of what you've been doing and beat them at their own game! What happened to Pete's old mantra "It's not about them it's about us" anyways?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:22 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:

Which is worse, teams doing different things than you're seeing on film or admitting they're doing what you saw on film, and you still couldn't come up with gameplans and playcalls to be successful.

Pete should have sided with Tyler, what he said is worse. "Oh yeah, teams are doing what we see on film, but hey we still have no answers!"

The fact you have two opposite perspectives with guys that are supposed to be on the same page doesn't tell you things are broken in Oz ?
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:24 pm
  • LTH wrote:
    John63 wrote:"“Honestly, all of these teams are not playing what they play on film," Lockett remarked. "They are literally not, so it’s hard to be able to get ready. Every time you get ready to go against a team, they might play man-to-man their whole entire 7-8 games, and then they play us, and they don’t play man once.""

Again I ask the question why do you think Carroll is running the O? what information do you have that I don't?

LTH

I can't swear it being true, but it would seem to me, that Pete (being a Defensive minded Coach) would throw as much of his Defensive strategies at his Offense, OF WHAT HE EXPECTS might be coming from their next opponents, so as to prepare them for that particular game, problem is (as I see it), Lockett pretty much explained, that, what they had prepared for? wasn't actually what they got.
    The Coaches are nowhere near making alterations as quick as needed, and that goes for BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL.
    And for these Post Game gigs? I for the most part, of the belief, that we are mostly hearing generic explanations from our Players & Coaches, as they are obviously stymied, and don't really have legit answers for the media, and even if they did, I wouldn't expect them to do a 'Tell All'.
    There are still seven games left to play, so I doubt they'd give the next opponents any pertinent details?
    I know many would assume, & ask, 'Well, IF they already have the blueprints, as shown by the teams that have beaten them, isn't the cat already out of the bag'? & I'd answer, IF they used that "Blueprint" and lost, they will have shown zero innovation, or respect for their opponents to maybe finding their way out of their funk.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:30 pm
  • toffee wrote:

FINALLY, a half page rebuttals instead of a one word cameo. J63 is almost back!

And that's the extent of your contribution? why was this comment even necessary?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:53 pm
  • toffee wrote:

Elite WRs often make their QB look good, Angry's an elite slot receiver, if you watch enough film, he did make Russ looked good. Or you can say Russ made him look good. Lockett no doubt made Russ looked good by making adjustments when Russ was doing his escape routine, if Tyler couldn't make himself open, Russ's running around buying would be just running around.

This is a really good point ^^ AND would explain a lot of WHY everything has been looking so dysfunctional since Doug Baldwins' departure.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:00 pm

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:03 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:I don't disagree with anything Tyler says here. He is talking not just about the players ability to recognize what the defense is doing, but the ability of the coaches and players to find a solution from the list of choices they have available. And no, Pete isn't involved in that process directly but as the person who employs Russ, Waldron, and Dickerson then he is responsible for their efforts.

So, the Defenses reading the Offensive play, as good, or better than the Offense reading their own play. LOLOL how sad is that?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:26 pm

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:59 pm
  • Fade wrote:
    keasley45 wrote:

That is telling. Nice find.

It's not hate. Russ Is just not good reading defenses. The evidence is literally everywhere.

Yeah, he's terrible.

Ahh Penny has what something like an average of 8 yards a carry this season, we should resign the guy, he is obviously money.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:12 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Fade wrote:
    keasley45 wrote:

It's not hate. Russ Is just not good reading defenses. The evidence is literally everywhere.

Yeah, he's terrible.

This? ^ This right here? is some really funny chit. :rofl:

Great you found something he's good at. So when he does complete his high percentage passes to the flat that gets us hardly any yards, or his bombs to Lockett or Metcalf after he scrambles around for 3 seconds, it's usually against zone. Good to know. And also good to know that he most often completes those passes against zone, its on downs when they aren't expecting us to pass, because when defenses know he's going ro pass, he near worst in the league.
    Good thing we abandon the running game every week... :sarcasm_off:
    keasley45
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:30 pm
  • keasley45 wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    Fade wrote:
    keasley45 wrote:

Yeah, he's terrible.

This? ^ This right here? is some really funny chit. :rofl:

Great you found something he's good at. So when he does complete his high percentage passes to the flat that gets us hardly any yards, or his bombs to Lockett or Metcalf after he scrambles around for 3 seconds, it's usually against zone. Good to know. And also good to know that he most often completes those passes against zone, its on downs when they aren't expecting us to pass, because when defenses know he's going ro pass, he near worst in the league. Good thing we abandon the running game every week... :sarcasm_off:

The Seahawks at one point early in the game against AZ ran the ball 10 straight times. They are inept.
    Did you ever stop to ponder that the Seahawks might have the most predictable offensive scheme in the NFL?

Also Wilson, doesn't check down, or throw short. He only goes deep! Remember? So now he's a check-down artist? Man, you're twisting yourself into knots.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:14 pm
  • PCs presser was telling, and a little frustrating for the passive criticism of Russ.

Notable was that he agrees that defenses don't play the hawks the way you'd expect given their tape... but said that's not a surprise. Said they all play Russ a specific way and that's known. - And a backhanded criticism of Russ and the offense that all defenses do it, it's not a surprise, and we can't stop it.

When asked about Russ's decision making in the redzone Sunday and specifically his off target pass to Everett when he had DK open underneath... Pete said basically that that's what Russ always does [take the hard play] and that he's been doing it for years.

And when asked about whether he and Russ are aligned on what needs to be done moving forward, he was evasive at best, saying they'd spoken already and said that he'd expressed his concern about the poor 3rd down conversion. He did say he expressed the desire for Russ to better control things.

PC is in a hard spot. He's walking thr line between being a disciplinarian and a business man. The disciplinarian should call the QB out and set the shop straight... set the example. But in the business end, if you come out and say Russ is failing, you get less for him this offseason.

Crap hand to be dealt. Should have moved him last year.
    keasley45
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:33 pm
  • keasley45 wrote:PCs presser was telling, and a little frustrating for the passive criticism of Russ.

Notable was that he agrees that defenses don't play the hawks the way you'd expect given their tape... but said that's not a surprise. Said they all play Russ a specific way and that's known. - And a backhanded criticism of Russ and the offense that all defenses do it, it's not a surprise, and we can't stop it.

When asked about Russ's decision making in the redzone Sunday and specifically his off target pass to Everett when he had DK open underneath... Pete said basically that that's what Russ always does [take the hard play] and that he's been doing it for years.

And when asked about whether he and Russ are aligned on what needs to be done moving forward, he was evasive at best, saying they'd spoken already and said that he'd expressed his concern about the poor 3rd down conversion. He did say he expressed the desire for Russ to better control things.

PC is in a hard spot. He's walking thr line between being a disciplinarian and a business man. The disciplinarian should call the QB out and set the shop straight... set the example. But in the business end, if you come out and say Russ is failing, you get less for him this offseason.

Pete dealt his own hand. He IS the dealer.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:09 pm
  • Fade wrote:
    keasley45 wrote:PCs presser was telling, and a little frustrating for the passive criticism of Russ.

LOll a great interpretation of what you want to hear PC say. TO and that's not what was said and given you added no link you already knew it.

Wowo I just listed again and PC said it starts with Coaching, and the coaches need to figure it out. Hmm no place did he say " [take the hard play] " Funny almost nothing you mentioned he says. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ieRO9vQ_Y Interesting so if you have another link that verifies your view post it because the one I posted does not support your statement.

but her is the one you will hate to hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxINo_Du_dc

John63
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:23 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Fade wrote:
    keasley45 wrote:PCs presser was telling, and a little frustrating for the passive criticism of Russ.

LOll a great interpretation of what you want to hear PC say. TO and that's not what was said and given you added no link you already knew it.

Wowo I just listed again and PC said it starts with Coaching, and the coaches need to figure it out. Hmm no place did he say " [take the hard play] " Funny almost nothing you mentioned he says. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ieRO9vQ_Y Interesting so if you have another link that verifies your view post it because the one I posted does not support your statement.

1st. I'm talking about his conference that was posted on Brock and Salk today, which is on Tunein for me, which I have a subscription for so there wouldn't be a link. But you probably already heard it...

2nd. I don't pedal lies and conspiracies. Pete said what I paraphrased.

3rd. I don't understand what it is I wouldn't like about the link you posted.

4th. I don't have an agenda or a horse in this race. I just choose to rely on what I know about the game from having played it, my following the hawks beyond just archair qbing and latching on to BS 'hunches' about what coaches are mysteriously doing behind the scenes- I actually rewatch 90% of the games from more than just the TV broadcast. And I have enough common sense to look at the team and see what's obvious to most folks who understand how the qb position is supposed to be played.

But thanks for posting the links.
    keasley45
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:35 pm
  • keasley45 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Fade wrote:

1st. I'm talking about his conference that was posted on Brock and Salk today, which is on Tunein for me, which I have a subscription for so there wouldn't be a link. But you probably already heard it...

4th. I don't have an agenda or a horse in this race. I just choose to rely on what I know about the game from having played it, my following the hawks beyond just archair qbing and latching on to BS 'hunches' about what coaches are mysteriously doing behind the scenes- I actually rewatch 90% of the games from more than just the TV broadcast. And I have enough common sense to look at the team and see what's obvious to most folks who understand how the qb position is supposed to be played.

so no link I did not think so.

Here is a link still does not say what you are saying

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/pete-carroll-we-just-have-to-be-more-precise/id717463156?i=1000542745958

FYi I have played too, and coached and refereed. You are not the only one.

And FYI I played QB some and I know what's what and especially that things are not always what they seem when looking at it from above.
    Last edited by John63 on Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:39 pm
  • I'm listening to Hour 2 - Pete Carroll reveals a setback for a key defensive player on Wyman and Bob with @TuneIn. #NowPlaying http://tun.in/tlA0ys

No problem

Enjoy
    keasley45
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:12 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    keasley45 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Fade wrote:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/pete-carroll-we-just-have-to-be-more-precise/id717463156?i=1000542745958

And FYI I played QB some and I know what's what and especially that things are not always what they seem when looking at it from above.

Tell you what john63, you can read into it what you want and anybody else can listen to it.

He says plainly that there are zero surprises when it comes to ho defenses are playing us. He was asked about his take on Lockett's assessment that they are doing something different than ehatbthe Hawks Might be expecting and that was response.

What about that is false?

And what about him saying Russ choosing the big play over the easy one is just who he's always been is false?

You make these accusations and then just walk away.

And when asked about his communication with Russ, you have to be asleep on the E.I. scale to see that Pete is clearly dancing around the issue.

So tell me again what I misrepresented, please.
    keasley45
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:18 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    keasley45 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Fade wrote:

And for a guy who has played football, you seem to be able to distinguish very little between statistics and performance, or to assess simple things like whether or not a qb is making a proper read or a receiver ran the wrong route. Or whether it's the lines fault a qb got sacked or it was the qb job to adjust protection and throw hot.

Or maybe you do and you just love RW so much your adoration clouds your experience?

Would be great tonget some real xs and os from you to back up your assertion that the offense is being run by Pete. Or that Waldron is horrible at calling plays or that he is secretly disguising formations to look new... butvstill running what Pete wants??

Anything tangible really, other than..... stats.
    keasley45
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:20 pm
  • keasley45 wrote:I'm listening to Hour 2 - Pete Carroll reveals a setback for a key defensive player on Wyman and Bob with @TuneIn. #NowPlaying http://tun.in/tlA0ys

No problem

Enjoy

So I am listening, the first thing is his dismissal of what Locket said given it's the coached job to adjust I smelled of covering his own behind given a lot of others feel the same way about the lack of adjustments. Something sims in one of the links I posted said as well.

SO heard the part about Everet he did not say anything about taking the hard throw and said he and were have been doing this for years. I took it as if he sees a chance to get the td to overtaking something else he will and guess what scoring is not a guarantee and if you got a shot take it. My coaches always said if you're in the red zone and have a decent shot for the TD you take it. Wilson did. I have no problem with that and PC did not either and said so.

I think that if you listen to the one you posted and the ones I posted the one thing is there is a lot that needs fixing. the receivers, the routes, the protection, the coaching, the QB. All of them and PC said that.

So in an attempt to deescalate things here is how I see things right now

Wilson is not 100% but he is trying and he had a better game this week than last so I expect this coming week will be better
    The oline is still a problem
    the run game is pretty good
    the Wr are still learning and sometimes making little mistakes, not turning around, not catching it, running wrong route etc etc
    The RBs are making mistakes blocking mainly

There is a lot going on that needs to improve it is not just one thing. I guess I don't put as much of it on Wilson because he is coming back from injury and because he has missed a month. The same way I felt when Carson came back or even Penny I did not expect much, lol I was right he is out again.

Let's remember prior to the injury Wilson was #1 in passer rating #2 in TD, %1 td/int, 2 in YPA, and #3 in COmplt%. He was playing well. But his first 2 games back from injury and missing a month has been a work in progress as I would expect..

I mean Mahomes has not been injured but just went through a stretch where he had 5 games below 75% passer rating out of 7 games. were he threw 8 INTs, Difference is they won 5 of the 7. Their team can win when Mahomes is not his best. Ours cant.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 pm
  • Oh and listened again. Forgot the part where PC said that RUSS NEEDS TO EXECUTE THE GAMEPLAN.

he said that very plainly

Thanks for keeping me honest
    keasley45
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:40 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    keasley45 wrote:I'm listening to Hour 2 - Pete Carroll reveals a setback for a key defensive player on Wyman and Bob with @TuneIn. #NowPlaying http://tun.in/tlA0ys

No problem

Enjoy

So I am listening, the first thing is his dismissal of what Locket said given it's the coached job to adjust I smelled of covering his own behind given a lot of others feel the same way about the lack of adjustments. Something sims in one of the links I posted said as well.

Locketts assertion is that the offense isnt prepared on gameday for what the defense is doing to them because they are preparing for what defenses are doing to other teams. Pete Carrol didnt respond directly to what Lockett said but stated that teams play the Hawks the same way pretty consistently and that its different than what they might do against other teams... that thats nothing new

if you take these comments in context with the issues that have been churning for weeks now, adding Pete's comment about Russ needing to execute the offense speaks pretty loudly if you ask me. That's about as direct a criticism of Russ that he's going to make

SO heard the part about Everet he did not say anything about taking the hard throw and said he and were have been doing this for years. I took it as if he sees a chance to get the td to overtaking something else he will and guess what scoring is not a guarantee and if you got a shot take it. My coaches always said if you're in the red zone and have a decent shot for the TD you take it. Wilson did. I have no problem with that and PC did not either and said so.

he has clearly reslodong to a question asking about that play and the reporter who posed the question added what his thoughts were on that kind of play in general

I think that if you listen to the one you posted and the ones I posted the one thing is there is a lot that needs fixing. the receivers, the routes, the protection, the coaching, the QB. All of them and PC said that.

i dont disagree, but where we differ is in that you want to spread the blame evenly, seemingly to deflect blame from Russ... or caveat his portion of fault with his injury, as if his play wasn't on a downward trend already, and the only thing bolstering his stats were his splash plays and ability to hit receivers off schedule on the scramble. I tend to believe that the stats don't tell the whole story because we are abysmal on 3rd down and in avg drive duration and have been all year. Russ is also terrible when defenses expect pass. His poor play makes it difficult to assess most any other part of the offense accurately. Yes, drops happen. Yes, missed blocks occur, but if the qb literally isn't executing the offense properly or actually limiting the playbook to his preferences, then you're creating a no-win situation that quickly bleeds into the entire team because weather you're on offense or defense, you know that if the qb play is broken, it doesn't matter how many 3rd down stops you're going to make or of you're a rb, how much you bust your ass to make a 1st down, or if you're a wr not wearing 14 or 16, that it doesn't matter how well you run you routes, you aren't going to get the ball. That's the reality of team sport. And when the leadership doesn't do something about it, you basically sink to the point where nobody plays to their ability, and you have much larger problems.

So in an attempt to deescalate things here is how I see things right now

Wilson is not 100% but he is trying and he had a better game this week than last so I expect this coming week will be better
    The oline is still a problem
    the run game is pretty good
    the Wr are still learning and sometimes making little mistakes, not turning around, not catching it, running wrong route etc etc
    The RBs are making mistakes blocking mainly

There is a lot going on that needs to improve it is not just one thing. I guess I don't put as much of it on Wilson because he is coming back from injury and because he has missed a month. The same way I felt when Carson came back or even Penny I did not expect much, lol I was right he is out again.

Let's remember prior to the injury Wilson was #1 in passer rating #2 in TD, %1 td/int, 2 in YPA, and #3 in COmplt%. He was playing well. But his first 2 games back from injury and missing a month has been a work in progress as I would expect..

john63, his struggles predated his injury. Look at his stats in the first half of games this year vs 2nd half. Its night and day. Look at our avg possession duration on offense. It was abysmal, so you cant keep on pointing to stats that were inflated by long passes to hisbfa orite players and were bolstered by us running the ball... which ironically the thing it seems he refuses to do, could help his cause. Why does he instead throw 6 times in the redzone rather then run?? When the run game was pushing 6ypc??

I mean Mahomes has not been injured but just went through a stretch where he had 5 games below 75% passer rating out of 7 games. were he threw 8 INTs, Difference is they won 5 of the 7. Their team can win when Mahomes is not his best. Ours cant.

we would have won the GB game if Wilson had a 75% passer rating. And ironically, his passer rating was well above 100 against Tennessee and Minnesota and we lost! But you could easily make the argument that if he just does the simple things in those games, we win. You disagree? An offense withbthe weapons we have and the playcalls Waldron is putting out should be allow usbto drive the field multiple times per game, eating up clock, wearing down the oppositions defens and putting up td after eating up 6 and 7 minutes rather than putting up 7 on a bomb in a minute 30 and then going three and out fornthe next 15 minutes until you catch lightning in a bottle again. Thats why the constant reference to stats ... and 'everybody is to blame', rings hollow and is blind to whats actually happening on the field.

but i appreciate the attempt at de-escalation, sincerely. And i apologize for the typos . On a backup phone.
    keasley45
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information